PDA

View Full Version : Black Arrows, Firebirds, Tigers, Yellowjacks, Red Pelicans

Warmtoast
10th Jun 2013, 21:22
Following a link from another thread I came across this collection of videos of historical UK formation aerobatics teams including the Black Arrows, Firebirds, Tigers, Yellowjacks, Red Pelicans etc. - took me back to my youth!

Videos can be seen here:
Royal Air Force and NAVY Display Teams Video, Tube (http://aerobaticteams.net/royal-air-force-navy-video.html)

smujsmith
10th Jun 2013, 21:31
Warmtoast,

That's a nice link, one of the QFIs on Oxford UAS at Abingdon 1978 ish, Bruce Donnelly, told me he was a founding member of the Yellow Jacks, and that they were the original Red Arrows. He took me flying a few times and was a nice bloke. You've just brought back some nice memories thank you.

Smudge

CoffmanStarter
11th Jun 2013, 10:27
Does anyone know of any footage that might still exist of the RAF Skylarks Team ?

Formed in 1967 at CFS Little Rissington, the Team was led by Flt Lt J F Merry. The aircraft were in standard training colors with "Skylark" badge at the tail and a green lightning flash added to the fuselage sides. One of the team's remarkable performances was at the Silverstone Grand Prix. The Skylarks aerobatic team was disbanded in 1971.

Coff.

PS. Web search reveals nothing other than a few stills :(

Wander00
11th Jun 2013, 10:38
A few years back I went to the Jet Display at Kemble to find they were marking 40 years of the Gnat. Enquired at the marquee and on disclosing I had been a student on Aunty Betty's Funjet, was offered free admission. Ended up watching the then current Red Arrows, surrounded by former team members, and even a couple of former Yellowjacks. Fabulous experience , overhearing comments such as "No ? is six inches out of position". Memorable day.

Warmtoast
11th Jun 2013, 15:18
CoffmanStarter

Does anyone know of any footage that might still exist of the RAF Skylarks Team?

The site I referenced in post #1 has nine photographs of the team, some in colour, here:
RAF Skylarks - Royal Air Force Aerobatic Display Team (http://aerobaticteams.net/raf-skylarks.html)

Other than that I can't suggest anything