PDA

View Full Version : Vortices On Wings?

Easy226
30th Apr 2002, 06:47
When i have been on holiday and we are on final approach back to cloudy England, i have noticed that small vorices are produced on the edge of the wind and also by the flaps. Is it something to do with the cloud and moisture?
Many thanks

wonderbusdriver
30th Apr 2002, 16:42
Vortices are always there, you just see them better at certain moisture/temperature levels.

Tinstaafl
30th Apr 2002, 16:50
Do a search & you'll find various posts about it.

Briefly, when the vortex forms there's a pressure drop. Lower pressure reduces the air's ability to hold water so the water condenses. The condensation is what you're seeing.

chiglet
1st May 2002, 17:12
From the tower at EGCC/MAN we have some teriffic views. Boeings are the best[worst?] as they last longer,:rolleyes: an Airbus only has a little one:D
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

Easy226
1st May 2002, 21:58
When i went to luxembourg recently, i was sitting over the wing on a 737-500. When we came into land, there was a really good one on the tip of the wing+ i had never seen one as good as that before! Why do boeings have better ones then???(due to wing design??)

Hand Solo
2nd May 2002, 02:23
Thoroughly recommend a 777 for viewing vortices, they shed a big one about 12" diameter inboard of the engines on rotation and it lasts for at least a minute. Gives you a real feel for your speed, although you may have to be sitting in Club to see it!:D