PDA

View Full Version : REX Interview / Flight Screening

YoloAviation
8th Jun 2013, 03:19
Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any details of the REX Interview or Flight Screening for the REX Cadet Program? I've already been through all the posts and threads about it. Literally everything, was just wondering if anyone has been through it recently and have any tips or advice for me? Like What kind of questions they might ask, or what you have to do for the flight screening / sim.

Thanks!

benjipc
11th Jun 2013, 10:55
http://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/386202-mega-merged-rex-cadetship-working-rex-39.html

YoloAviation
12th Jun 2013, 07:04
yeah, i've read that post already, every single page, as sad as that may seem, quite a lot of flaming going on in there. had one or two good tips but that was about it, mainly people arguing about working conditions and how you should just get out whilst you still can.

Stiff Under Carriage
15th Jun 2013, 04:51
Incorrect Dr.

Whilst at AAPA no pay. Once on SF340 Groundschool they get the standard Training Wage. Until CTL or 3 months which ever occurs first.

Stiff Under Carriage
15th Jun 2013, 10:51
Fair enough. That's the price of a cadetship though. To be so called fast tracked. Not for or against. It is what it is.

Bones13
15th Jun 2013, 11:58
According to the other thread REX012 is up to week 61 of the 32 week course!

pull-up-terrain
15th Jun 2013, 12:04

That is correct. :ugh:

iPahlot
15th Jun 2013, 23:04

Dare I ask what stage they are up to now?

Were there issues with theory, flight standards, aircraft going U/S, weather, etc?

YoloAviation
16th Jun 2013, 01:57
Oh my, have any of you heard about how many people will get in for this intake? Is it going to be the usual 10? And what's the chances of getting in if you're up to the interview stage(1st interview) I'm not too sure what the odds are or how many people I'm up against, I only know that its damn near impossible.

Altimeters
16th Jun 2013, 22:52
Whoooop1991 wrote:
standards are good, training is good

Really? Cadets are now failing in house exams, and mostly all training is now on CBT! How can you teach fundamental theory at such an early stage with no student/instructor interaction?

Which could lead to the question of why are you still paying 120k for CBT???? Just a thought.....

Stiff Under Carriage
17th Jun 2013, 12:30
…fast tracked…

Clearly I got that part wrong. :ugh:

Jack Ranga
17th Jun 2013, 23:22
Supply & Demand :ok:

training wheels
18th Jun 2013, 00:31
Not enough instructors and too many UAE cadets.

Sorry, you've lost me there ... I thought Rex had their own flight school and instructors? How do UAE cadets come in to the picture?

KRUSTY 34
18th Jun 2013, 00:56
Cash Flow! :ok:

Lifeboat
25th Jun 2013, 09:58
first of all: the cadet contract changes between courses - getting progressively more expensive. the training is still good (despite the cutover to CBT) and instructors are available most of the time if students have any issues.

in regards to the UAE cadets: the contractual agreement between AAPA and Alpha Aviation (air arabia's MPL provider) state that the UAE cadets must complete their training in a set timeframe, otherwise AAPA will incur severe financial penalties. im not privy to the specifics, but its severe enough for rex management to backburn their own cadets in order to get these UAE guys out on-time.

having said that, things are improving at a slow rate; there are more instructors now and management are making small little efficiencies each day - we'll just have to wait and see how quickly AAPA can get through the next few rex courses whilst juggling this MPL contract....

Smackbang
30th Jun 2013, 10:29
first of all: the cadet contract changes between courses - getting progressively more expensive

Lifeboat can you expand on the above please? Are the cadets being asked to pay for training upfront/living expenses etc. OR the eventual amount owed by the cadet just gets bumped up?

having said that, things are improving at a slow rate; there are more instructors now and management are making small little efficiencies each day
Looks like even more instructors coming in for AAPA; an advert has been put up on REX's current opportunities page, not sure how long its been there for.

Lifeboat
1st Jul 2013, 07:21
the loan amount increases.. it used to be around 95k total and it's increased over the past few courses to its current amount of 125k. the upfront cost is still around 25k.

it's important to note that the loan is geared so that a cadet will only be paying off only the interest for the first few years. this prevents cadets from thinking about leaving or being poached. ive also heard that the current contracts have a clause which disallows any early repayment, however this would not hold up in court as rex doesn't even have the financial licence to legally issue these 'loans'.

YoloAviation
1st Jul 2013, 13:24
Are you sure about the repayment bit, I'm not too sure about it, I haven't read anything about that, though I might have missed it.

Lifeboat
2nd Jul 2013, 03:46
i haven't seen the current contract personally so i can't clarify, but there was a big uproar amongst the cadet body about the early repayment clause.

-JLS-
2nd Jul 2013, 19:21
Not involved in the program, so just going by what I read...but I remember in the past there was something along the lines of 10k 'paid' as a retention bonus towards the loan at the completion of each year of service, up to 7 years. Now it looks as though the retention bonus is a 50k lump, which is only available after the full seven years of service have been completed. So even leaving after 6.5 years will result in zip being waived from the total loan now.

Lifeboat
3rd Jul 2013, 10:52
technically its a 50k lump sum retention bonus. but it operates as a 10k retention bonus every year after the 3rd year of employment. if you decide to leave the company before the 7 year period, any retention bonuses paid get taken away and the interest is recalculated for the higher amount.

at the end of the day, it's money making scheme any management will try their hardest to get as much money out of you regardless of what the contract stipulates. many businesses are guilty of this and it's up to the cadet to challenge the decisions by management.

Smackbang
4th Jul 2013, 10:42
How likely is that payout/bonus though? Is the said amount always paid out or does it vary amongst cadets?

Not a good move to invest 125k with a hope of being paid the retention bonus down the line.

Lifeboat
5th Jul 2013, 07:19
if you don't leave and you don't get fired then you will get the retention bonus. thats the whole point of a retention bonus, its in the contract. and don't think of it as a payout, it's techinically not real money....

125k investment imho weighs easily on the fact that you get a job (aslong as your performance is good). then after the 7 years you only have had to pay around 80k out of money you don't even see. when you consider accommodation, food and the type course on top of a CPL/MECIR it's not too bad compared to other avenues of getting a licence and finding a job....

just my opinion.

YoloAviation
28th Jul 2013, 10:01
has anyone had an interview with the chairman before?

KRUSTY 34
28th Jul 2013, 10:58
I spilt beer on him at a BBQ once.

But that was in the good ol' days. :E

YoloAviation
28th Jul 2013, 11:07
eh what...
Well either way, I'm extremely nervous...

Ratel91
10th Aug 2013, 15:09
Yoloaviation, have you sat the first interview yet? I'm heading to Wagga this week and I'm getting nervous! Any tips?

wing boy
18th Sep 2013, 03:30
Hi guys,

I have read all the forums re REX cadet program. Many of the negative posts are regarding the lack of ICUS available, the high cost and 7 year 'bond'.

In light of REX's recent agreement with CASA, do you think the REX cadet program would be a good option for someone looking to eventually move on to the bigger airlines.

Obviously, the JQ program would be preferable however there is uncertainty as to whether or not they will run another intake due to problems with the current cadets.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

:ok:

Stiff Under Carriage
18th Sep 2013, 08:45
Cadets have been getting Commands. Most have been with company Min 4yrs.

KRUSTY 34
18th Sep 2013, 21:41
You seem to be in the know SUC.

Any truth to the rumour that the days of logging ICUS from the RHS are numbered!

Stiff Under Carriage
20th Sep 2013, 12:11
The word 'rumor' could probably answer that question.

I'd say it is exactly that until otherwise confirmed. I have not heard it.

KRUSTY 34
20th Sep 2013, 12:35
And here I was thinking you were across it all SUC!

Yes I did use the word rumour, perhaps to allow you the opportunity to comment.

But as you have no knowledge, I guess we'll simply have to wait for the official announcement.

desmotronic
22nd Sep 2013, 08:32
SUC,
Lots of contracts contain terms which would be found to be unenforceable in a court of law.. see the current debate about extending consumer protections to small business.

desmotronic
24th Sep 2013, 07:41
SUC,

You said:

Sign it, then fulfil it.

If a contract or part thereof is unenforceable then there is no obligation to fulfil it. Not having a crack at you just commenting for the benefit of younger players.

hehe1010
21st Oct 2014, 11:44
Hi everyone,

I am considering to do the PPL 10 weeks program with REX commencing on 24 Nov. I have also placed my application to their cadet program.

There are few questions:
1) Anyone has done that before? Any review?
2) Any practical tips/description on cadet interview(general and technical question examples, I am aware that is subject to the candidate's experience)?
3) Should I do flying school at Bankstown (Whitworth) or with Rex?

I need to do it in a fast track +++ just to get enough hours. Salary is not the major concern as long as I can survive with sandwiches and water before moving onto some other airlines.

Any comment would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
hehe

deadcut
21st Oct 2014, 12:31
I need to do it in a fast track +++ just to get enough hours. Salary is not the major concern as long as I can survive with sandwiches and water before moving onto some other airlines.

This f**king guy.

ihavelotsofquestions
21st Oct 2014, 18:10
This better be a Geeup, otherwise it s a sad state of affairs. Some attitude....

iPahlot
21st Oct 2014, 21:50
7 years on sandwiches...

pilotchute
21st Oct 2014, 22:04
Has anybody who joined REX as a cadet actually made it to the LHS of a Saab flying for REX? I know some people got commands but for REX subsidiaries, not REX proper.

hehe1010
1st Dec 2014, 06:08
Got a pass with wombat, now Rex is offering an interview and flight scan at Wagga Wagga. Go or no go?

I have read through these threads here about the loan will be compounded, insufficient number of instructors to entertain cadets from UAE and REX blah blah blah.

1. Is there anyone who can give me some fair comment?

2. If it is a go, how to get better prepare myself for the interview (apart from dressing and try to answer those common interview questions)

3. If I had flight experience a decade ago, should I get a couple hours revision flight before the flight scan?

Thanks.

hehe

Formationflying
6th Aug 2015, 04:18
Its been close to a year since your post on this feed. So, did you go with REX, and if so, how was it?

Cheers
Formation

Stiff Under Carriage
7th Aug 2015, 01:01
Its been close to 2 years since your post on this feed. So, did you go with REX, and if so, how was it?

Cheers
Formation

Oct 2014 - Aug 2015 is less than a year FF.