PDA

View Full Version : Type rating: FTO necessary or FI sufficient

Reely340
6th Jun 2013, 12:52
I'm checking my mailbox hourly, because my PPL license is scheduled to arrive any day now, yippee so far. In case I'd like to get type rating for another heli (the PPL's H269 is somewhat limited with regards to passengers)
- is it sufficient to grab a FI, rent someone's heli and do a couple hours :E
- has the FI to be a FE for that type, too
- is it mandatory to sign up with an FTO for any kinf of TR

This EASA FCL-Part specific, regard acquiring a new TR.
Are there differences with regard to the transition I'd be doing?
Something along that lines of
H269 -> R22 FI is sufficient :ok:
H269 -> Bell47G (different engine) FI + theoretical exam (oral? written?)
H269 -> Bell206 "only FTOs can supply a turbine rating"
H269 -> BO105 multi engine + turbine = totally different :{

Has anyone got a link into that huge EASA website explaining TR aquisition requirements?

TIA
Peter.

edit: I found JAR-FCL dated requirements that state a FTO or TRTO as required for theroretical training, hence I'd guess one simply shows up at the FTO and enrolls for a TR. Could be Difference Trainings or plain Familiarisations are simpler to organize.

Hughes500
6th Jun 2013, 17:57
You will have to go to either trto or FTo to do a conversion
Piston to piston is normally 2 hours plus test
Piston to turbine is 5 hours plus test
Turbine to turbine is 2 hours plus test
First twin turbine is 8 hours

The trto must have the type on its disposition to teach that type. For instance mine is only for Hughes 500 oh6 and Hughes 300. Have fun:ok:

GoodGrief
6th Jun 2013, 19:03
Why aren't these things taught at the school you did your PPL at? :=

misterbonkers
6th Jun 2013, 19:24
Goodgrief - are you serious? Experience FIs, FEs and even HoTs are struggling to get to grips with EASA let alone fresh PPLs!!!

GoodGrief
6th Jun 2013, 19:38
Yes, I'm serious. Even under JAR which is now ten years old, you had to go to a TRTO or FTO.
The addition of further types is a vital part of any pilot's career, PPL or CPL, so he should know about it.
This is usually the second question every student asks in airlaw.
The first being about landing in ones own backyard.

Curtis E Carr
6th Jun 2013, 20:08
From Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:311:0001:0193:EN:PDF):

FCL.725 Requirements for the issue of class and type ratings

(a) Training course. An applicant for a class or type rating shall complete a training course at an ATO. The type rating training course shall include the mandatory training elements for the relevant type as defined in the operational suitability data established in accordance with Part-21.

(b) Theoretical knowledge examination. The applicant for a class or type rating shall pass a theoretical knowledge examination organised by the ATO to demonstrate the level of theoretical knowledge required for the safe operation of the applicable aircraft class or type.

(1) For multi-pilot aircraft, the theoretical knowledge examination shall be written and comprise at least 100 multiple-choice questions distributed appropriately across the main subjects of the syllabus.

(2) For single-pilot multi-engine aircraft, the theoretical knowledge examination shall be written and the number of multiple-choice questions shall depend on the complexity of the aircraft.

(3) For single-engine aircraft, the theoretical knowledge examination shall be conducted verbally by the examiner during the skill test to determine whether or not a satisfactory level of knowledge has been achieved.

(4) [...]

(c) Skill test. An applicant for a class or type rating shall pass a skill test in accordance with Appendix 9 to this Part to demonstrate the skill required for the safe operation of the applicable class or type of aircraft.

The applicant shall pass the skill test within a period of 6 months after commencement of the class or type rating training course and within a period of 6 months preceding the application for the issue of the class or type rating.

From AMC and GM to Part-FCL (http://easa.europa.eu/agency-measures/docs/agency-decisions/2011/2011-016-R/AMC%20and%20GM%20to%20Part-FCL.pdf), see AMC2 FCL.725(a).

Reely340
7th Jun 2013, 06:10
@Hughes500
thx for the hours estimations! The picture begins to sharpen.

Reely340
7th Jun 2013, 06:13
@GoodGrief
you are right about first question in Airlaw :)
We even talked about aquiring and keeping current additional TRs but it never ocurred to me to ask if that requires an FTO. And the FTO guy didn't explicitely say so, problably thinking "where else would one go to". :rolleyes:

Reely340
7th Jun 2013, 06:23
thanks a lot curtis, for that precise link and quote!

Btw. is there any alternative to that heap of PDFs, when one wants to research current EASA regulations? Maybe an online HTML version kept current?

Whenever I stumbled across some "as laid down in JAR-FCL 2.xxx (y) App Z" I smashed my head against the keyboard for them not using hyperlinks.
That is exactly the reason why hypertext and hyperlinks were invented in the first place, a couple decades ago!

I understand that I'm flying a 50 years old design with an 50 years old, lead depending, oil eating (right after overhaul) engine, but why have the legal docs to be similarly stoneaged?

I want a colored, hyperlinked, up-to-date but also versioned EASA rules and regulations website, that can be globally filtered by aircraft class, aircraft type, license type, etc. There exist things like content management systems, I've heard.:mad:

Peter.

Spunk
7th Jun 2013, 11:15
Shouldn't you guys be talking about ATO's (approved training organisation) these days.:} At least that's what they are called in my home country.

Hughes500
7th Jun 2013, 11:18
Spunk

Not here in UK yet we have until April 2015 before we have to be one !

Captino
7th Jun 2013, 11:44
Hey Peter, weŽd all love to have that Hyperlinked version of all that Law "stuff" so if you want to become a rich Rotorhead, you go and give us such a neat version. YouŽll be rich and weŽll be much happier to work with that bull/%&!:E

Hughes 500 youŽre a lucky guy we overhere need to have it by next year ....oh wait no this year ....Damn!!!:(

BillieBob
7th Jun 2013, 14:39
Not here in UK yet we have until April 2015 before we have to be one ! You're thinking of Registered Facilities. FTOs and TRTOs have been ATOs throughout the EU since April last year and have to be fully compliant with Part-ORA by April 2014.

Spunk
7th Jun 2013, 16:39
@ Hughes500 Not here in UK yet we have until April 2015 before we have to be one !

And I always thought that we can rely on you guys in the UK. :{

Hughes500
7th Jun 2013, 17:52
Bb sorry typo meant 2014 when we have to have our SMS manuals yawn in place etc etc