PDA

View Full Version : Old Pensions Calculator...?

Ascoteer
6th Jun 2013, 10:42
Hello all!

I've left it a little late to make comparisons between the old and new pensions, but as one of the ones who made it in on to AFPS75 late I'd like to work out exactly how much I lose by the forcing of AFPS15 upon us. To that end, I'm trying to find the old pension calculator or something similar; does anyone know where I might find such a thing?

On a secondary note, does anyone have any info on 'buying back' years on AFPS75? I joined at 18 and didn't choose to transfer to 05, thus I was not pensionable until 21. Rumours abound that these years can, in fact, be bought back...

Many thanks!

:ok:

Jumping_Jack
6th Jun 2013, 10:59
Why do you assume you'll be worse off? I just put my details in identically, but changed the pension scheme and discovered that I'm £3 a year better off on 75 and get £5 more on the lump sum! :ok:

lj101
6th Jun 2013, 14:42
Ascoteer

Is this the form you were interested in;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/73242/20130121_afps_form5_final.pdf

.... It seems for officers you can't buy back as far as age 18.

BlindWingy
6th Jun 2013, 20:19
Don't know if this helps, but for a Flt Lt on AFPS75 leaving at 38 and living until 85...

If he leaves 1 year post being forced onto AFPS15 - total loss = £23 308

2 years, total loss= £46 567

3 years, total loss= £70 063

etc etc...

Al R
8th Jun 2013, 20:02
Ascoteer,

You can buy added years, but you can only add them from aged 21 (you seem to have started at the earliest moment anyway). Because you're on '75 (and not '05) you can't change/stop them without extenuating circumstances so they aren't very flexible.

You're also limited to adding to your benefits by 15% so are they going to make much difference and can you consider other options (particularly if you're married). Are they right for you? If you're on Facebook, search 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme help and information exchange' and have you looked here for the old calculator?

www.mod-abc.co.uk (http://www.mod-abc.co.uk)