PDA

View Full Version : VC10 / C-130

BEagle
5th Jun 2013, 19:02
Nice low level flypast by a VC10 and a C-130 at 1902Z over east Witney this evening - what was the occasion?

...and then at 1907Z, a Griffon Spitfire heading 360-ish in the evening sun! Wonderful!!

smujsmith
5th Jun 2013, 19:19
Beags,

I hope you do not mind but whilst walking in West Swindon on Saturday last, just after 1230 hrs, SWMBO and I saw what we are sure was the BBMF Dakota doing several low level passes over an area towards Lydiard Millicent. Anyone any idea what that was about ? Apologies to you Beags, I was very curious and thought this an apt thread to ask the question, no intention to hijack it.:rolleyes:

Smudge

Duplo
5th Jun 2013, 19:30
Dam's dinner at Shriv (ACSC) maybe.. or some d-day function perhaps.

Al-Berr
5th Jun 2013, 20:06
Tonight is the Brize annual formal review thingy. Last Saturday was the Watchfield fete, with Dakota flypast.

Archimedes
5th Jun 2013, 20:44
Also HMQ's birthday cocktail party (sans HM) at Shrivenham, for which, if memory serves, the Spitfire was booked for a flypast at somewhere around 2000BST, following a similar flypast at Henlow.

smujsmith
5th Jun 2013, 20:46
Thanks Al, I knew someone could help with the Dak, the driver must have friends in West Pig on't Hill. :ok:

Smudge

dagama
5th Jun 2013, 20:57
The VC10/Herc were in hold just south of Kemble for about 20 mins. The VC10 did 2 holds before the Herc joined from the South-West and did about 5 holds before flying off towards Brize.

Nice evening for whatever the event.

Truck2005
5th Jun 2013, 20:59
The Dak did a couple of very low runs over base hangar yesterday. We could not see any reason for it out on the sports field where they seemed to be centred

Fifth_Columnist
5th Jun 2013, 22:30
Formal opening of Tactical Medical Wing's new-build at Brize, CAS in attendance.

Ken Scott
6th Jun 2013, 12:16
Flypast was for the Annual Reception at the OM, opening of TMW was purely coincidental. But inadvertantly appropriate.

tarantonight
6th Jun 2013, 19:06
Slight drift, but I was at Duxford BH Monday last with my girls, the day following the airshow. Not many people about and weather superb.

The following started up and took off prior to a short fypast of various WWII US airbases locally:

B17, Mustang x2, Thunderbolt, Spitfire, Hurricane.

What a sight, the Spit and Hurricane took off across the grass, just like the old days. A short form up and then a flypast. All then put in a low level run in on their return. Worth every penny.

TN.

AlpineSkier
6th Jun 2013, 21:02
TN

Any idea which bases they"visited" ?

Wander00
6th Jun 2013, 21:10
Tarantonight - they were flying over the service at the American Cemetery at Madingley (Cambridge) and then various WWII US airbases in East Anglia including Bodney near Watton. My son saw them overfly Ely

UK Aviation Events 2013 - Eagle Squadron Commemorative Flypasts - REVIEW - Flightline UK (http://www.airshows.org.uk/2013/airshows/uk-aviation-events-2013-eagle-squadron-commemorative-flypasts-review.html)

tarantonight
8th Jun 2013, 12:38
AlpineSkier,

Thankfully Wander00 did! A good weekend all round, the day before the BBMF went over our heads at what seemed like 250ft, the Lancaster directly above. My 10 year old daughter is clearly into girly things, but that made her day - don't think I've ever seen her eyes so wide.

Thanks for the link Wander00.

TN.

Wander00
8th Jun 2013, 13:33
TN/AS Je vous en prie (or "You are welcome")