PDA

View Full Version : Fire Bombing

Hexnz
5th Jun 2013, 08:27
Hi PPRUNE,

Long time reader, first time poster. How does one pursue a career in Fire Bombing? I am under the impression it is going through the Agricultural Top Dressing / Spraying route. E.g.

1 - Obtain licences (CPL).
2 - Get Loader job with Top Dressing company.
3 - Work with them for 'X' amount of time gaining hours privately.
4 - Be selected to be trained in Ag and pass.
5 - Top Dress / Spray for 'X' amount of years.
6 - ?????
7 - Get asked to assist in fighting fires during fire season.
8 - Become a full time fire crew on stand by.

Is that how it works? Or is the no real 'career' as a Fire Bomber, its just Ag pilots helping out when needed.

I currently hold a NZ C-Cat 550 TT, MEIR, (200 Instructing in Piper Cubs). Aerobatic rating. I also have Heavy Trades, Dangerous Goods, Wheels Tracks n Rollers driving licence endorsements if these would be required.

Obviously NZ doesn't get many fires, but Australia does.

Is there a governing Australian company that deal with the Fire Crews?

Would it help becoming a Volunteer Fire Fighter?

Would becoming a jump pilot help? similar situation, taking off MAUW and landing empty?

Thanking you in advance.

Duchess1
20th Jun 2013, 04:27
Think I can help somewhat with this one...and as I see you've gone 15 days without a reply, I've signed up to help out! :)

1 - Obtain licences (CPL).
2 - Get Loader job with Top Dressing company.
3 - Work with them for 'X' amount of time gaining hours privately.
4 - Be selected to be trained in Ag and pass.
5 - Top Dress / Spray for 'X' amount of years.
6 - ?????
7 - Get asked to assist in fighting fires during fire season.
8 - Become a full time fire crew on stand by.

Is that how it works? Or is the no real 'career' as a Fire Bomber, its just Ag pilots helping out when needed.

I can't speak for Enzed but this is about what happens in Australia.

Once you have your CPL you can effectively go and do an Ag Rating. From there, you'll have to try and land a seat in a piston ag plane whilst getting hours up. Starting with a company is a good idea or if you get really lucky, you could land a scholarship (which there is more info about on the Aerial Ag Associations website.). Once you've made the turbine hours and get a few of those up, you're more likely to be on your way. Of course, you'll need to be with a company that does in fact contract to the state Fire Agencies.

This all relates to fixed wings of course. I can't speak for the rotary guys.

It is more than just Ag pilots helping out when needed. These men and women (as we do have a female firebombing pilot now) are trained in firebombing. No longer is it "helping out". When it comes to the cost of aviation in fighting fires, no one can afford to be just "helping out." It is another aspect to the career of an Ag Pilot.

Is there a governing Australian company that deal with the Fire Crews?

There is the National Aerial Firefighting Centre. More info on their role here...NAFC Web Site (http://www.nafc.org.au)

Their role is to mainly secure the necessary fleet of aircraft and they don't do much with the hiring of crew. Crews are employed by the operators.

Meanwhile, each State Fire Fighting agency is ultimately responsible for their aircraft contract management. For example, in NSW, we have the NSW Rural Fire Service who is the body that holds the contracts with the various companies that have submitted an EOI and fulfilled the RFS's requirements. Our State Air desk is the coordinators of aircraft and their duties at the times of major fires that require aviation resources, along with also passing on those resources to other emergency agencies like the SES for example during times of floods. You will also see that often the companies that have fire bombers contracted, will also have charter aircraft contracted as well. This is for the movement of fire fighting personnel into remote areas that are not often serviced by RPT. (and I am not referring to RAFT or RART crews here either, that is a whole other topic!)

Would it help becoming a Volunteer Fire Fighter?

Yes. And No.

Yes because we're always looking for more volunteers! However, in NSW, it will probably take you several years of being a volunteer before you might even get to look at a plane! Training and experience is required. Also, you won't get to do any flying as a volunteer. Prepare to be left on the ground as all the flying is left up to the contracted aircraft and crew. The fire agencies don't train pilots. They train fire fighters.

A bit about myself...I am a RFS volunteer and I also have about 15 years of being in the aerial ag flying business, working in it and as an ag pilots wife. As a volunteer, it has taken me about 5 years to get to be trained as an Airbase Manager. I've probably skipped through as I have been identified as having prior experience, so yep, got lucky! Others have taken 10 years to get to this same level, I have been told.

So, I hope with that, you'll get something out of it. I'm happy to answer further questions if I can.

Thanking you in advance.

My pleasure, always more than happy to chat fire fighting and flying! :):cool:

Turboman
24th Jun 2013, 12:11
Under the current requirements in Aus for fixed wing you'll need 1000hrs Ag, 100hrs on type (generally AT-802 or Turbine M18), experience in hilly terrain, as well as several other courses.

At this stage Ag is the path to a career as a water bombing pilot in SEATS in Aus but there maybe other avenues in the future. I can't see an operator putting someone in an AT-802 on fire work without an Ag back ground unless they had overseas fire experience, or a lot of experience in tail wheel aircraft, low level, in hilly terrain.