PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety/ Quitting Smoking - Class 1

GeorgEGNT
4th Jun 2013, 13:02
Good afternoon guys,

My mother has been unwell for some time. Last week I traveled to Newcastle where she was in Palliative Care for 'observation'. Less than 48 hours later I was told that her treatment was no longer effective & 'beneficial'. Her treatment has now been stopped. She has had cancer for 7 years but the last year has taken its toll on me. Whether I was caring for her in Newcastle or hearing about her deterioration from Uni it was difficult. She now has 'weeks to a few months'.

I traveled back to Leeds this week and on Sunday night experienced some shortness of breath. This continued into the next day so I decided to see the doctor at hospital. I was tested for collapsed lungs and all sorts. Heart was deemed fine and so were lungs. They asked about my situation in life to which I confirmed that my mother was deteriorating very quickly. I was given an inhaler and told that it was most likely down to a slight allergic reaction to something amplified by anxiety due to the current situation.

I've recently quit smoking which is creating a weeze in my lungs at the moment but it was irrelevant to this case however may affect a medical in the future.

I'm starting to think that in around one week my hopes of a Class 1 medical have slipped through my fingers. Anything from the anxiety to the weezing could be enough to deem me unfit surely? It's frustrating that one off cases can have this affect on a persons livelihood.

Has anybody had a similar experience? I've got a follow up with my GP in the next few days where I hope to clear this mess up.

Thank you.

Pace
4th Jun 2013, 19:34
George

Do not get into a panic about your class 1. Quitting smoking is a good thing try Nicorette Gum.

Firstly I am sorry to hear about your mum :sad: A very ill parent is an awful thing to go through.

Shortness of Breath is an anxiety thing and considering things going on with your mum at present not surprising.

My guess (unless you have had bouts of Asthma in the past) is that the shortness of Breath is anxiety caused rather than an allergic reaction.

Leave the medical a while until you get through this patch and then present yourself for a medical as a fit and healthy young guy.

Pace ( Not medically qualified)

GeorgEGNT
5th Jun 2013, 13:52
Hello,

I'm finding quitting quite easy to be honest. I've gone four days without any nicotine products. Technically speaking its a mental battle from here in not a physical one.

I was thinking of delaying my Class 1 until next year. I've got one more year left at University so have time build up my fitness etc. Renewing the Class 2 for now sounds the best plan.

No asthma as a child but still going to discuss what exactly went on my record. I realise I'm probably fine Class 1 wise but with the stress one tends to over think things at the moment!

Thanks again.
George