PDA

View Full Version : SIGMET format

Captain Nomad
2nd Jun 2013, 14:03
Okay, so we have a slightly new format for SIGMETs these days. How are we finding it? To me it seems the specified region is not quite as clear as it used to be.

Another question - is there any plan to ever produce a simple chart to show the plotted area? It seems this information is readily available to ATC. A little harder for flight crew to get the same immediate 'picture.' Surely it couldn't be hard to do in this day and age? Something like a SIGWX chart only with SIGMET info instead would be nice!

Comments anyone?

le Pingouin
2nd Jun 2013, 15:00
The reason it's readily available to us is because it's someone's job to hand draw a pretty picture of the affected area and wander around handing out copies!

Totally agree it wouldn't be technologically hard to automatically generate a graphic of the affected area. It's just joining the dots and filling the area.

avconnection
2nd Jun 2013, 15:23
Seems antiquated that we couldn't at least have it drawn on a sig wx chart when an aircraft operating in the states can have it displayed "live" (within 10 mins) on their MFD, using xm weather. Looking at the latest offerings in modern FMS, we're missing out on a lot of planning goodies.

Shagpile
2nd Jun 2013, 19:52
It's technically very challenging to interpret sigmets as they don't appear to have any proper structure and drawing "front moving position x,y south west at 10kts" is extremely difficult.

The US have an XML version of their sigmets which is trivial for computers to draw. It's structured and makes sense.

I emailed the yanks and they have no plans to bring that service overseas. Also emailed bom who are sticking with the plain English format.

Captain Nomad
3rd Jun 2013, 05:24
Thanks le Pingouin. They must hate winter time, what with having to draw so many more of those little maps and all...! :p

Who, and what email address could we lobby about producing a SIGWX type chart for SIGMET info? Presumably it would be someone at BoM but with data eventually published through Airservices along with all the other charts?

It's done for volcanic ash, why can't it be done for icing and turbulence? I'm just waiting for someone to tell me that it comes down to dollars again...

Captahab
3rd Jun 2013, 07:39
Okay, so we have a slightly new format for SIGMETs these days. How are we finding it? To me it seems the specified region is not quite as clear as it used to be.

Another question - is there any plan to ever produce a simple chart to show the plotted area? It seems this information is readily available to ATC. A little harder for flight crew to get the same immediate 'picture.' Surely it couldn't be hard to do in this day and age? Something like a SIGWX chart only with SIGMET info instead would be nice!

Comments anyone?

Doesn't OzRunways plot the areas on the PCA chart of their iPhone/iPad app ?

Shagpile
3rd Jun 2013, 08:42
Yes but it's very difficult due to incomplete formatting and changes like this....we need either a sigwx style sigmet or data in XML format like the Americans so geeks (like me) can draw them easily and consistently.

Captahab
3rd Jun 2013, 08:54
Excellent effort on your part though Shagpile.

It's an dogs dinner trying to decipher all the current text gobblygook.

All that is necessary from the source is a basic diagram, the issue of concern, periods of validity and the levels affected.

We are up to our necks in acronyms and codes, time to install some practical user friendly information.

Nautilus Blue
3rd Jun 2013, 09:17
The reason it's readily available to us is because it's someone's job to hand draw a pretty picture of the affected area and wander around handing out copies!

As an aside, given that most are series of lat/longs defining an area, TAATS should be able to read the sigmet and offer a map on affected ASD's. Likewise read restricted area NOTAMS and display them automatically :ugh:

We do seem to be saddled with outdated formats and lots of individual systems completely incapable of sharing information and diplaying it in a meaningful way.

I'm just waiting for someone to tell me that it comes down to dollars again...

BLOODNOK: Of course, I shall need special equipment.
SEAGOON: Such as?
BLOODNOK: Money.