PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Appointment

Dennis Kenyon
31st May 2013, 20:02
Good evening Chaps & Chapesses!

Hope the moderator will allow the plug, but the proceeds of sale are helping to fund the 2014 Dennis Kenyon Junior Helicopter Scholarship.

On 5th May I internet published my helicopter thriller on Amazon ... "Dangerous Appointment" ... naturally involving an Enstrom 480! You'll need a 'Kindle' and all of £2.95p to download.

Oh and I'd appreciate all comments (good & Bad) for my next work of art.

Take care all .... Dennis Kenyon.

topendtorque
31st May 2013, 23:02
have noted
tet

LOZZ
3rd Jun 2013, 07:43
This from the Amazon summary: A gripping helicopter thriller set in Britain and the Great Lakes of America. The temperature is minus forty degrees. An Enstrom 480 helicopter has landed on the frozen surface of Lake Michigan.

“What have I done?” ... “What have I bloody well done?” Alistair Craig asks himself, as his dream of a new life is shattered when he discovers the identity of his passenger and becomes embroiled in a terrorist kidnap plot headed by a ruthless Al Qaeda gang. And the IRA has joined them!

A 1000 mile hair-raising flight at night through the Great Lakes ends with an air/sea rescue on a luxury yacht.

Political intrigue, fierce action and a dashing romance come together in Dennis Kenyon’s new book. ‘Dangerous Appointment.’

Isn't that what "Appointment On Lake Michigan" was about?

Would love to read it assuming its not one in the same (torture scene was a bit vivid), fraid not buying a Kindle to do that though. Any chance you can publish it some other way as well, like Paco does?

Best wishes
Lozz

Dennis at Enstrom
3rd Jun 2013, 15:20
DK,

Congratulations!

Now if we can just get rid of that A-star on the cover.... :)

Sincerely,

Dennis Martin
Enstrom Helicopter Corp

500guy
3rd Jun 2013, 18:13
I flew some Chicago city tours a few years back when it had been below freezing for several weeks straight. Talk about power, I think the density altitude was about -3500ft and the temp was well below 0F. There was a few hundred meters of ice coming out along the shoreline as well as some floating masses in the lake.

I would not have wanted to land on them, I dont imagine is was very thick. The waves and the depth of the lake keep it from freezing over.
Seems like a great setting for a book though.

Good luck with your book sales.

Dennis Kenyon
3rd Jun 2013, 19:45
Hi Lozz ... the new title IS a re-write of the first story which Phil C kindly published, but the problem for new authors is always 'exposure.' We managed to sell circa 400 copies only of the first edition which ain't a sensible return for a year's work, but mostly the new yarn has been a labour of love.

I'm told by the guys in the know that once we 'old uns' are away, the new generation will look on books as antiquities from the 20th century and I don't think I'd want to be a book seller for much longer. The Kindle and its ilk on the internet will take over everywhere, rather like radiophones have. I took mine on a recent holiday ... (access to around 10,000 books in my brief case!) And all for a couple of quid each and many new authors on Amazon are offering their work FOC. If you know someone who has my book on their Kindle you can borrow it for 14 days free too.

Oh and bye the bye. Last month I holidayed in Gibraltar. I last visited the place on a Bomber Command 'Lone Ranger' exercise. 'Twas 1956 about. The place has become a mini Hong Kong and is booming. (a decent lunch around £60 for two) A one bed flat makes £250k, the posh ones are over one million and the Marinas are awash with yachts costing a few million upwards!

I used my charm to penetrate the RAF base to view the standard T2 hangar where I'd parked my Canberra almost sixty years earlier. Same old hangar, new khaki paint job outside, same rusty interior within. And on Main Street, there's a guy who boasts he has a picture of every aircraft that has ever landed on the rock since 1945 ... about half a million pics I think. And yes, I found and bought a picture of my old B2 ship, WH 924 complete with a red Lincoln Imp on the tail. Ain't aviation wonderful!

Regards to all. Dennis K.

PS for EHC. Sorry about the Eurocopter, but the only shot I could find of a helicopter over a frozen river!

SilsoeSid
3rd Jun 2013, 19:51
Now if we can just get rid of that A-star on the cover.... :)

A-Star? Surely that should be C. Starrett
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Starrett):8

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51bqGIN1KeL.jpg

I'm guessing this is Craigs ac (http://www.caa.co.uk/applicationmodules/ginfo/ginfo_photo.aspx?regmark=G-ZIZZ&imgname=G-ZIZZ001&imgtype=JPG) at the start of Chapter 1 :ok:

SilsoeSid
3rd Jun 2013, 20:02
PS for EHC. Sorry about the Eurocopter, but the only shot I could find of a helicopter over a frozen river!

This might have helped Dennis ;)

Enstrom over frozen ... (http://justgit.com/?q=enstrom%20over%20frozen%20lake)

All the best
:ok:

jim63
3rd Jun 2013, 21:20
http://www.enstromhelicopter.com/wp-content/gallery/piston-280fx/enstrom-280fx-flying-over-a-frozen-lake.jpg

ReefPilot
3rd Jun 2013, 21:33
a terrorist kidnap plot headed by a ruthless Al Qaeda gang. And the IRA has joined them!

Is this a comedy?

Dennis Kenyon
4th Jun 2013, 18:52
Oh dear ... got it wrong again ... now if I'd thought it through, MY ZZ would have been the beautiful AB 109 pictured. My only excuse is I needed a compact turbine to land on a smallish yacht ... and I still like Enstroms! Couldn't have used the pretty FX you illustrate tho.' (needed a rear seat position)

But comedy ... I don't think so. Try having a homely knitting needle forced up the nose toward the brain and feel it penetrate the most sensitive part of the Septum where the bone and cartilage divide the nasal cavity. And there's worse to follow. Chapter 31 ....

Take care all. Dennis K.

boguing
4th Jun 2013, 20:19
Bought it and will let you know.

Dennis Kenyon
5th Jun 2013, 18:52
Thanks Boguing for being a buyer ... naturally it would be good to know my book is a good read, so any PP guys on here who don't have Kindle access, just e-mail me and I'll e-mail back a copy of the raw typescript. Just a small obligation, you send me a critique. (good, bad or horrid!) and hopefully but far from essential ... a tiny cheque to help the scholarship fund for 2014. £2 upwards will be great. Dennis Kenyon.

Peter-RB
6th Jun 2013, 11:02
Hi Dennis,

I will get my boy to load his magic book with this, but to add to the plot you could have installed two other Helis to signify the real danger bit ........ both names begin with the letter R.:ooh:

Peter R-B
Lancashire

Dennis Kenyon
6th Jun 2013, 19:35
Now now ... Peter. The book is a totally unbiased production and neither the 22 nor the 162 get a mention. Lots of Enstrom activity tho' ... I need to know IF the Allison could rip through a covering tarp from a standing start!

If/when you read it, you'll find more than enough danger both in the air and on the ground. And don't forget the critique ... please. Warm regards. Dennis K.

SilsoeSid
7th Jun 2013, 09:32
Dennis,

You forgot to mention the VAT!
Downloaded, font enlarged and ready to be gripped :ok:

The temperature is minus forty degrees. An Enstrom 480 helicopter has landed on the frozen surface of Lake Michigan.

I hope that Almagard 3751 and Almaplex 1275 lubricants weren't being used in the flight control system. (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/publications/tp185-4-2012-6443.htm)
;)

Dennis Kenyon
7th Jun 2013, 19:02
Hi Silsoe ... no its a straight $4.50p which should be just under three quid. Go on buy a copy PPs .. you know it make sense! Dennis K.

PS. I know there's a couple of errors with the ransom amount. I'm getting it fixed.

SilsoeSid
7th Jun 2013, 20:22
I already have Dennis, that's how I found out the £3.07 price. :hmm:

Only thing so far is maybe in future, don't have the main character with a name consisting of 2 forenames. One minute he is Craig, next Alistair....:confused:

OvertHawk
8th Jun 2013, 10:38
In UK - Paper books are not subject to VAT, however, e-books are.

Dennis Kenyon
8th Jun 2013, 19:35
Silsoe ... So how much gripping do you want for three quid?

But do please let me have a critique just so I can get better on the next story. Oh and the pilot's name is just Alistair Craig. (two pilot guys I know.) Best wishes all. Dennis K,

SilsoeSid
8th Jun 2013, 20:41
Lol, would you like to rephrase the first part of that post :O

nomorehelosforme
9th Jun 2013, 00:37
And who might buy the film rights to the book!!!

helimutt
9th Jun 2013, 14:19
Waiting for the epub version for ipad. You need to have it in all formats Dennis. Another UK heli pilot recently wrote a book called 'In it' (by Jonathan Robinson) and its on Amazon etc.(its very funny by the way)

Pretty sure you can download Kindle for iPad though and do it that way. I'll do that I reckon.

Anyway, as soon as I can download it I will. Here's a link if anyone wants Kindle for itunes. :ok: Cheers.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/kindle/id302584613?mt=8

Dennis Kenyon
9th Jun 2013, 18:38
For Heli-M .. . Yes I've known JR for many a year and we shared a few interesting evenings at his local. Have lost touch since he was flying from Panshangar with the 44 ... JR - are you on here? Let's have an update please. Oh and I'll try and work out the IPad/Kindle association and haven't yet bought my own Kindle. Amazon have got a £15 off promotion this weekend though.
Happy reading & flying all out there. Dennis K.

helispeediii
10th Jun 2013, 10:35
hi den well done ill be getting my copy asap , ps was the gib pic black and white did they have colour then?? helispeediii xx

LOZZ
10th Jun 2013, 11:35
Hi Dennis,

OK, have purchased and look forward to reading the new & improved version.

LOZZ

Dennis Kenyon
10th Jun 2013, 23:13
Hallo Uncle William .... My pic of WH924 was B & W but the man in Main Street, also had a pic of three B2s in formation which included the proverbial WH 923, 924 and an other and all in colour. I take it you know the man in main street who advertises he has half a million Gib pics on his PC. All for sale a 10 Euros! Take car in sleepy Sussex! Regard DRK

helispeediii
11th Jun 2013, 09:14
its chris den, bill was helispeedii regards helispeed iii

Dennis Kenyon
11th Jun 2013, 20:28
Thanks Chris ... this age thing is taking hold ... didn't spot the 2 from the 3! Trust you are well. DRK

SilsoeSid
13th Jun 2013, 23:04
Bit of a slow reader I'm afraid, but a couple of questions so far Dennis;

Any reason why specifically Pepsi-Cola?
If Alistair put £250 on Top Risk to win at 10:1, wouldn't he have got back £2,500 plus his stake, £2750?. The question is, would each of the 5 'bundles' of £50 notes really contain 11 notes?

:8

Dennis Kenyon
14th Jun 2013, 18:28
Oh dear SS ... never having been a betting man, I thought you just got x 10 the bet. Isn't there some sort of tax to consider that might help? The idea was Craig gets five packs of £500s for his £250 winning bet. Be happy tho' if you can pick up similar items so I can get the Kindle copy edited in due course. But please ... please, remember it IS a piece of fiction so don't be too hard on my first effort! Thanks for your trouble though. Best wishes. Dennis K

PS. If you are squeamish ... you might want to go slow on Chapter 31. I can't read it now!

Dennis Kenyon
14th Jun 2013, 18:31
Yes ... I like the Pepsi variety of Cola, but no sponsorship received ... YET! DRK

nomorehelosforme
14th Jun 2013, 21:07
DRK and SS is this Ladbrokes? Over who fancies which soda!

SilsoeSid
14th Jun 2013, 21:52
Lol, well you did ask for critique ;)
In an ice cold taste test, I also passed the Pepsi Challenge!

Anyway, hooked so far :ok:

Nomore - just read the book!

nomorehelosforme
14th Jun 2013, 21:57
SS come on what comes from Atlanta where does your egg drink come from, please not the Advoka egg drink!