PDA

View Full Version : Global Express minimum runway width?

Night Flight
31st May 2013, 14:56
Hi All,

From my understanding the Global Express minimum runway width is 45m because it's balanced field length is over 1800m where as the Global 5000 is 30m width. Is that how everyone else understands this?

Thanks in advance,

NF

Celestar
31st May 2013, 15:07
30m for sure, must be described in ICAO Annex 14.

ksjc
31st May 2013, 15:37
Interesting that the FAA does not mandate a minimum runway width and there is no minimum runway width prescribed in GLEX aircraft limitations.

The prudent pilot would know the GLEX 180 degree turning radius is 68' and slightly less for the G-5000. 30M should do it.

FrankR
31st May 2013, 17:28
I laughed when I read this, since minimum runway width is rarely discussed.

...Why do you think that minimum turning radius defines minimum runway width? How about wingspan?

FR

Narrow Runway
31st May 2013, 18:52
30 metres width would rule out a lot of places.

Better tell me never to go to Lanseria ever again! Or all those other Global guys as well.....

ksjc
31st May 2013, 23:38
@FrankR....Why do you think that minimum turning radius defines minimum runway width? How about wingspan?

N-reg/Part 91 has no mandated minimum runway width and the GLEX doesn't have any limitation for same so we land on a runway no less than 68' wide in order to make that 180 degree turn. Easy.

galaxy flyer
31st May 2013, 23:48
We fly Globals and use 30m, waiverable to 75', dry with crosswinds not to exceed 15kts including gust. The main factor is Vmcg on take-off. I'd recommend V1 = Vr. The certification is based on a deviation, in the event of engine failure, of not more than 30' adding in 1/2 of wheel tread width and 75' is pretty narrow.

GF

Night Flight
1st Jun 2013, 02:27
Thanks all for your replies. I can see a general consensus that 30m would be considered plenty for the GLEX and i agree this would be plenty however...

Given that we have to comply with regulations of the country we fly to, many ICAO member states follow the minimum runway width recommendations as law. An example of this would be Australia which has it in the AIP. This is where my confusion lies. The Global Express has a Reference Field Length (based on a Balanced Field Length @ MTOW) of over 1800m which would require a 45m wide runway by Law even for N registered aircraft in countries that comply with this recommendation.

Or am I missing something?

galaxy flyer
1st Jun 2013, 03:08
Night Flight,

May I ask for a link to the reference document? I agree with your legal analysis, but I'd like to read the document. I fail to see a physical connection between BFL at MTOW and runway width; FAR 25 certification only relates Vmcg deviation be demonstrated.

If I can see the documents, I might be able to get an engineering and/or legal disposition.

GF

Night Flight
1st Jun 2013, 03:41
Galaxy Flyer,

ICAO Annex 14 - Aerodrome Standards - Aerodrome Design and Operations
-> Chapter 3, Physical Characteristics
-> Paragraph 3.1.9, Width of Runways
(Needs to be read in conjunction with Paragraph 1.3 Reference Code)

Australian AIP
-> Airports and Ground Aids Tab
-> Section 2, Suitability of Aerodromes
-> Paragraph 2.2, Runway Width

Thanks for your help with this.

NF

FrankR
1st Jun 2013, 16:23
I still haven't read anything on this thread that sounds like an applicable fact. Everyone so far has been referencing design standards, which have nothing to do with operations.

If my boss says he wants to fly to EXXX airport, and I look at the airport diagram and it says that the only runway available is 7,000 Ft by 50 Ft, I ask myself "can we go?" The only answer I have ever come up with is based on my judgement. For runway length we have plenty of charts and regs for both takeoff and landing, for runway width, I've found nothing.

FR

galaxy flyer
2nd Jun 2013, 01:49
FrankR

I think the Australian AIP actually does require pilots to use runways of the width in their document, which mirrors the ICAO Annex 14 design standard. That standard would apply to Australian operators and, I believe, to FAA operators under FAR 91.702 (might be .701 or .703).

What I find, slightly silly, is using BFL at MTOW as a reference for width. BFL is unrelated to required width and unrelated to FAR 25 certification. The FAR 25 standard is clear and applies to all certs--maximum 30' deviation following loss of the critical engine. Wing span could be a factor, depending on defined sideline clearances; landing gear tread is definitately a factor for keeping all the gear on the prepared surface.

For a GLEX, the tread/2 is 8' to the outboard tire edge, plus the 30' equals 38'. Thirty-eight feet times 2 equals 76', one idea of minimum runway width.

Now, airline Ops Specs clearly define runway widths and procedures, even having supplements to the AFM for some Boeings.

GF