PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow

Live your dream
31st May 2013, 14:14
Hi there!

First of all, sorry if this has been asked before, but I am at work and I don't have time enough to do a good search. :rolleyes:

As I am going back to Spain in 2 weeks I would like to see some "heavies" tomorrow, just watch them because I'm not a photographer. I've heard about myrtle avenue and Heathrow academy, but I don't know which one is better. Could you help me?

I have to add that I live near Haggerston Station, and I would use the bus to get there.

Take care and sorry about my English!! :ok:

Lukeafb1
3rd Jun 2013, 09:08
LYD,

Next to Heathrow Academy is a spotters covered observation area, which gives a good view of 27R. Especially if aircraft are departing from 27R.

London red buses 111, 555, 105 and 140 go from the Central Terminal Area Bus Station to a bus stop outside Heathrow Academy (they're free). :ok:

Live your dream
3rd Jun 2013, 13:53
Luke, thank you so much for your help. I have just another question, are there any bathrooms there? This is very important hehe

Lukeafb1
4th Jun 2013, 09:06
LYD,

There is a cafe about 50 yards from the Observation Area called 'Cafe Chi'. Its between World Business Centre 1 and 2 (but you can't miss it) and looks as though its only for people in those buildings, but anyone can use it. It also has 'bathrooms' which you can use. :)

You can get back to the Central Terminal Area by using the same buses, which stop right by the Academy (again free).

Live your dream
4th Jun 2013, 12:40
Thank you Luke, I really appreciate your help!! :ok:

AndoniP
4th Jun 2013, 12:45
Hi LYD, if you need a pleasant spot to watch the arriving aircraft, then may I suggest the rear car park of the Premier Inn on Bath Road, there's a nice slightly elevated covered area with benches, there's a Costa coffee, toilets, everything you need. You just can't see the runway though.

Just make sure that the runway direction for approaching traffic this week is actually 27R! :ok:

The runway alternation PDF is located here:

Heathrow Noise: Runway alternation (http://www.heathrowairport.com/noise/what-we-do-about-it/measures-already-in-place/runway-use/runway-alternation)

DaveReidUK
4th Jun 2013, 14:19
Just make sure that the runway direction for approaching traffic this week is actually 27R!At the risk of stating the obvious, 27R is used for landings every week (except when the airport is on easterlies, of course) - it's the time of day when it's the designated landing runway that varies from one week to the next.

AndoniP
4th Jun 2013, 14:24
haha, I've had a mare there

Yes, I mean of course the time you get there- you don't want to get to myrtle avenue at 10am only to find arrivals are coming in to 27R and have to traipse round to the other side :E

Lukeafb1
4th Jun 2013, 14:31
LYD,

I agree with AdoniP about the Premier Inn (same bus numbers, but you might have to pay as its further out). I was there last week on a course and aircraft pass VERY, VERY close on approach.

HOWEVER, as DaveR mentioned, if aircraft are not landing on 27R, its a waste of time being there, because you can't see the runway at all. You'd then have to get the bus back to the Academy. Also, I know you have already mentioned that you are using the bus, but be aware, that it is difficult to get into the car park through the barrier unless you are a legitimate guest. Walking through the barrier, is of course, no problem.

Live your dream
4th Jun 2013, 15:56
Thank you again, yes I use the oyster card so I don't have problem to travel further.

Is this the place you are talking about?

Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/myplaces?ll=51.481877,-0.481027&spn=0.005566,0.009645&ctz=-60&t=h&z=17)

Cheers.

Lukeafb1
4th Jun 2013, 19:27
LYD,

No that's not the right Premier Inn. The one you want is further along the the A4 Bath Road to the East. On your map, its about three miles from Premier Inn you have highlighted.

On the map, follow the A4 east until you find LUXURIA BEAUTY SERVICES marked on the map, on top of what looks like three large squares joined together. Those three squares are the Premier Inn. The next small road on the right, is CRANFORD LANE.

Hope this helps.:)

Skipness One Echo
4th Jun 2013, 19:44
Thank you again, yes I use the oyster card so I don't have problem to travel further.

You can get off at Hatton Cross and walk round you know. Some really good 27R landing options behind BA Maintenance and then onwards to the Enfield Rd roundabout. You can then walk under the approach and shoot from the other side at the start of the North Perimeter Road. There's usually a few spotters on the little hill at the start, you can see across to 27L departures too.

Try standing directly under a landing A380 at the bus stop at the end of 27R. It's kinda impressive :)