PDA

View Full Version : Gcse for becoming an airline pilot

Cork428
30th May 2013, 20:03
Hi all, since I can remember, I have been fascinated about planes. When I'm at home when I have spare time, I will be on fsx. But I want to become an airline pilot, preferably for aer lingus. But we are needing the end of year 9 and have just recently chose are gcse options, and there was a lot of problems with me selecting my subjects (my parents virtually chose them for me), so I am now worried I won't have good enough gcse's to become an airline pilot:(
My subjects and expected levels are

Maths A
English B
Core science A*
Core pe C
Construction 3 a* (3 gcse's in construction)
Geography a*
Re C
Music C

I think that's it.

But after seeing my subjects I am scared that I don't have the right gcse's to become an airline pilot:(:(:(
So I was wondering what you guys think of this.
Also, my parents want me to do a carpentry aprentaship, but I will refuse to so I can go to sixth form/collage, then possibly university.
So do you guys think this would be sufficient for a pilot.
Thank you.

paco
31st May 2013, 04:19
You've got music, that's the most important one :)

Seriously, as long as you have double science (i.e. physics) or whatever they call it these days, that should be OK.

limesoda
31st May 2013, 07:55
They look fine buddy. You have solid grades in the core 3; Maths, English and Science.

Its your A levels that you need to pick right! Your degree subject is supported by them and can affect your choices in the future significantly.

All the best :)

Morris542
31st May 2013, 09:53
They are fine. Just concentrate on getting the best grade you can.

felixthecat
1st Jun 2013, 09:05
Maths English Physics and your fine :) Plus a healthy bank balance either loaned or bank of Mum and Dad ;)
As for Aer Lingus….. :oh::E

Dash8driver1312
12th Jun 2013, 00:23
High grades in varied subjects (incl maths and science) are better than low grades in some subject that you suspect is targeted at aviation.

I have a General Studies A Level (compulsory at my VIth Form) and consider it to have been very useful training for considering a subject from multiple angles!

BugSpeed
12th Jun 2013, 08:02
In all honesty, dont worry too much about the GCSE's or, to an extent, the A-Levels / B-TEC / GNVQ / Modern Equivalent. Its all about how you apply yourself during your studies.

I would also reccommend a degree (if you lose your medical before you have enough aviation clout its useful). Avoid "BA (Hons) Airline Management" and similar as those degrees are largely a waste of time if you want to work in aviation (ironically).

Practical pilot maths: know how your 3x table works ;)

Jet Simulation
15th Jun 2013, 11:58
I agree with Bug Speeds post above.

In today's day, more and more pilots are coming out of flight training with a degree of some sort in any field, therefore airlines are not giving as much thought to the GCSE's as much any more.

Its always good to have a back up plan should that medical ever be taken away and a degree in a non aviation based subject would also give you a little more exposure to the rest of the world, which could work to your benefit during an interview.

Halfwayback
15th Jun 2013, 14:20
Cork

Welcome to the Wannabees forum.

I think you have had a number of constructive and informative responses to your original post and if you were to look further in this forum (use the Search function) you will find that the subject has been much discussed in the past.

I am closing this thread

HWB