PDA

View Full Version : Coping with non-smoking on a long flight

dreamflier
29th May 2013, 21:22
Can you please give me ideas of what works best to cope with non-smoking on a long flight? I'm quiet a heavy smoker and what actually bothers me most about it, is the lack of freedom to have a smoke as much (even more) than the nicotine addiction. As far as I know, e-cigarettes are not allowed but I have heard about some inhalers which are permitted. Never tried anything besides real cigarettes but based advises would like to give it a "dry run" on the ground before the flight and see what works best for me.

DaveReidUK
29th May 2013, 21:37
Some airlines let you smoke, as long as you go outside to do it.

cavortingcheetah
29th May 2013, 21:47
10mg Valium every 6 hours.

Phileas Fogg
29th May 2013, 21:54
dreamflier,

I went on to e-cigarettes, at first it's comparable to going from a strong beer to a weak shandy but after the breaking-in period e-cigs became my norm and after 6 months of those I quit all together and haven't touched, nor wanted, a cigarette for the past two years or more.

As for e-smoking, indeed e-steaming, on flights it is one of those rules that cannot be enforced, e-cigarettes are literally odourless, one can cup the device in one's hand, take a puff and swallow the water vapour than one would otherwise exhale and without anyone around being any the wiser and the water vapour that these devices give off is never going to set off any smoke detector.

And e-cigarettes offer no harm to anyone, they merely contain nicotine and, to the best of my knowledge, nicotine has never harmed anybody, it's the other "nasties" in cigarettes that are the "killers".

I wouldn't encourage anybody to break any rules though, just merely pointing out the stupidity of such an unenforceable rule.

lapp
29th May 2013, 22:03
Maybe you can try the smokeless that Ryanair sells:

The Smokeless Cigarette: The Cigarette that can be smoked anywhere (http://www.similarshop.eu/)

redsnail
29th May 2013, 22:56
Before using any of these products in flight, please check with the airline concerned to see if they permit them.

Eg British Airways (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/askbainter/public/en_gb?refevent=help) policy.

bedsted
30th May 2013, 07:36
Try a nicotine patch with the highest strength available, 21gms I think.

ExXB
30th May 2013, 10:04
Have a think. If you can take a long flight without a cigarette, you likely can go a whole day. And if you can go a whole day ...

Addiction to cigarettes can be overcome. See your doctor, public health clinic, etc. Try the patches - they worked for me!

Agaricus bisporus
30th May 2013, 10:13
nicotine patch +1

if you try something that is forbidden it twill only increase your stress levels, and hugely so if you get into conflict with the crew over it. Best avoid that potential altogether imo.

grounded27
30th May 2013, 16:30
Points of interest.

I know smokeless tobacco may thought of as disgusting in your part of the world, it does though contain up to 4 times the tobacco as a cigarette and gives you an oral fixation. I know many pilots that use it discretely, keep a empty water bottle to spit in and wrap it with a napkin. Hell, you might just like it.

"Nicorette" gum or the like would be my 2nd choice.

The patch, downside is that if if you are not careful, run out of the aircraft post flight and chain smoke a few you might O/D. Plus no oral fix.

Best idea for any of them would be to do a test run beforehand..
Not to mention an e-cig if approved also there is no detection if you take excessive bathroom breaks.

Sunnyjohn
31st May 2013, 07:56
I appreciate it might cost more but could you break your journey or take alternative routes?

Evanelpus
31st May 2013, 08:22
I appreciate it might cost more but could you break your journey or take alternative routes?

Laughable, I hope this was an attempt at humour!;)

If not, very sad:hmm:

Exascot
31st May 2013, 08:30
I only smoke about 4 small cigars a day. I have given up many times, months at a time, so I know I can but as soon as a stress factor steps in I'm back on the dreadful weed. Funnily enough I hardly think about it when flying, even long haul.

As we know the Greeks all smoke. They get into a terrible state. At ATH there is an 'emergency smoking area' as soon as you step off the tarmac.even before immigration.

Evanelpus
31st May 2013, 08:41
As we know the Greeks all smoke. They get into a terrible state. At ATH there is an 'emergency smoking area' as soon as you step off the tarmac.even before immigration.

Double sad:hmm::hmm:

Exascot
31st May 2013, 09:01
Evan, they imposed no smoking in all bars and restaurants here. They had to cancel it as it was completely unenforceable. It is now up to the owners. Public buidlings are still no smoking. There are seats and ashtrays outside doctors surgeries so the doctors and nurses can smoke. You will not even see an ashtray on the chief of police's desk here anymore - he flicks the ash and fag end out of the window :E

Mimpe
31st May 2013, 09:04
The relevant nicotine patch for your daily dosage level - your GP can work it out, or Champix (expensive) Starter pack in increasing doses to therapeutic dose over the week before, with the flight occurring day 8 or so. Champix gives 1-2 in 10 people some nausea or odd moods but has no drug interactions.

Cyber Bob
31st May 2013, 09:13
"As for e-smoking, indeed e-steaming, on flights it is one of those rules that cannot be enforced"

Yes it can and is. VS advises it's customers that these are not permitted to be used on board at anytime whatsoever, for the same reasons other carriers state.

Gum, water and being occupied is your best bet as I'm not sure 'Champix' or 'Patches' will help short term

ExXB
31st May 2013, 09:59
would like to give it a "dry run" on the ground before the flight

Why not see how long you can go without a smoke. Every night you go 7-9 hours while you are sleeping. Start with that during the day, see if you can work up to the flight duration +2 hours. Not easy, I know, but you can do it.

I wont bore you with all the good reasons why you should quit. You have heard them all before. But just try ... We'll be cheering for you!

Rwy in Sight
31st May 2013, 10:03
Hello from Athens,

As most of you know I am Greek and I don't smoke. I have friends who don't although we are in a minority.

The emergency smoking rooms at Athens airport I feel are a good advertising income for the airport. Not they are not in heavy use by Greeks and foreign alike.

The law should have been used by the state to make some serious money (by way of fines) but unfortunately state employees are just too lazy.

Phileas Fogg
31st May 2013, 12:00
"As for e-smoking, indeed e-steaming, on flights it is one of those rules that cannot be enforced"

Yes it can and is. VS advises it's customers that these are not permitted to be used on board at anytime whatsoever, for the same reasons other carriers state.

Do VS and other carriers have water vapour detectors in their cabins and in their crappers? ... No they don't!

Exascot
31st May 2013, 15:48
RiS, you are correct my friend. But I bet you our next beer that most are Greek. I will personally count them next time I go through. Easy exercise, I will just shout 'you are all malakes' and see how many shout back. :E

Sunnyjohn
31st May 2013, 20:37
Quote:
Laughable, I hope this was an attempt at humour!

If not, very sad

It was a serious suggestion. If someone is unable to go on a long flight without a smoke, now that is very sad.

Load Toad
1st Jun 2013, 03:01
Man up - you aren't addicted you are being a wuss.

I gave up simply by saying to myself that I had never smoked. Any craving was thus pathetic & imaginary. Stop looking for crutches, excuses and for other peoples support. It's just smoke, nicotine isn't pleasant - fresh air is great.

The addiction is to the ceremony of lighting up and having 'me time'. Replace it.

dreamflier
1st Jun 2013, 17:58
I apreciate the advices. Please keep them coming. But let's not turn this thread about advices on how to quit and so on. That could be discussed in another thread and it's completely besides the point here.

If the e-cigs ban is not enforceable has anyone ever been been caught and penalized?

ChocksAwayChaps
1st Jun 2013, 18:51
Patches. I was a 40+ a day addict and did Manchester to Kuala Lumpur on a patch. Numerous short hauls on patches, too, but KL , Dubai, NYC, and Toronto - all from UK, were longest flights with a patch. It was OK.
To give up I had the help of Champix but as you say that's for another discussion thread. Haven't touched one since the Champix.

Phileas Fogg
1st Jun 2013, 21:51
I was 40+ per day also and did 14 hours MNL/AMS without patches, e-cigs or anything ... It's all a matter of mental discipline.

Load Toad
2nd Jun 2013, 01:53
FFS its a few hours. Pull yourself together and don't be pathetic - suck your thumb - nip in the bog to knock one out, watch a film, drink, have some chocolate, think about people that have real problems to deal with all day every day.

PositiveClimbGearUp
2nd Jun 2013, 03:32
Hi dreamflier

I am also a heavy smoker and had similar concerns when taking a long flight, so I empathise with your predicament.

Yes, there are more important concerns in the world, but the OP came here for advice about an air travel situation which is causing him concern. As do most people who start topics in here.

dreamflier - I have made several long haul journeys in the last few years, and got by without any excessive nicotine cravings.

The suggestion that you break your journey somewhere en route is quite a valid one. Check first that the 'stopover' airport allows smoking airside/in transit.
That may not be a feasible option though.

In addition, or instead, I suggest you wear a nicotine patch. Put it on as soon as possible after your 'last fag', probably in the departure area or just before you go through security if there's no smoking after that. Also take along some nicotine lozenges or gum (I prefer lozenges).

As for e-cigarettes, it's perfectly legal to carry these on board in your carry-on baggage, or in your pocket - but dismantle the e-cig when going through security and put the 'bits' with your other electronic items. I've had no issues at all doing this, and was only questioned once along the lines of 'Is that an e-cig? Yes? No problem then." Many airlines forbid their use in flight, although I'm sure some pax use them discreetly in the lavatories, rightly or wrongly. The vapour appears not to set off the smoke alarm if exhaled normally.

So patch, lozenges and the e-cig (if allowed) will get you through the flight I promise you. I managed 13-14 hours absolutely fine. Being in an environment where you know you cannot smoke until you disembark several hours later is totally different to sitting at home or outside a bar with a packet of cigs and a lighter right in front of you.

So don't panic, do a bit of preparation and research, and enjoy your flight!

PCGU (30-40 a day bloke).

mixture
4th Jun 2013, 08:05
If the e-cigs ban is not enforceable has anyone ever been been caught and penalized?

An aircraft is private property. The company is perfectly able to ban or restrict whatever activities they please.

As a result e-cigs or any other bans are very much enforceable.

Don't argue.

etrang
4th Jun 2013, 10:15
Mixture, you missunderstand. They are referring to to the practicality of enforcement, not the legality.

Sunnyjohn
4th Jun 2013, 21:36
An aircraft is private property. but it's providing a public service.

cavortingcheetah
4th Jun 2013, 21:59
5mg Diazepam 4 x daily.
(Not an authorised medical practitioner.)

Captivep
5th Jun 2013, 10:43
Sunnyjohn - it's not providing a public service. It's providing a privately contracted one to fly you from A - B.

ChocksAwayChaps
6th Jun 2013, 01:16
CavortingCheetah: 25 mg of diazepam never helped me. I still used the patches; the diazepam was for the flying phobia!

BlankBox
6th Jun 2013, 19:21
...worry beads and Om Mani Padme Hum ...repeat as necessary.

EEngr
7th Jun 2013, 16:00
Will e-cigarettes set of the lav smoke detectors? If not, prohibiting them might result in people tying up the facilities to sneak a pseudo-smoke.

Sunnyjohn
7th Jun 2013, 17:39
Sunnyjohn - it's not providing a public service. It's providing a privately contracted one to fly you from A - B.
Captivep - you are correct: my apologies!