PDA

View Full Version : FAA First Class Medical.....

BritishGuy
29th May 2013, 01:26
Quick question.....

I have held a FAA first class medical for many years. Because I haven't flow in the US for the past 2 years, I haven't kept my medical current (so in effect it's privileges have been downgraded).

If I go to get a First Class done tomorrow (let say), would I have to do an EKG? I've read the following on the FAA website, and from it I understand it's a "No" - but cannot confirm it. I am 34 years old for what it's worth.

Exam Techniques and Criteria for Qualification
Item 58. ECG

Code of Federal Regulations
First-Class: 14 CFR 67.111(b)(c)
A person applying for first-class medical certification must demonstrate an absence of myocardial infarction and other clinically significant abnormality on electrocardiographic examination:
At the first application after reaching the 35th birthday; and
On an annual basis after reaching the 40th birthday.
An ECG will satisfy a requirement of paragraph (b) of this section if it is dated no earlier than 60 days before the date of the application it is to accompany and was performed and transmitted according to acceptable standards and techniques.
Examination Techniques
No Aerospace Medical Disposition exists

Noah Werka
29th May 2013, 01:49
Code of Federal Regulations
First-Class: 14 CFR 67.111(b)(c)
A person applying for first-class medical certification must demonstrate an absence of myocardial infarction and other clinically significant abnormality on electrocardiographic examination:

At the first application "after" reaching the 35th birthday;

You answered your own question...

BritishGuy
29th May 2013, 02:05
Sorry for beating this one - so, as I read it, I do NOT need an EKG if I go for my first class medical tomorrow?

Mimpe
29th May 2013, 02:28
In Australia its first application at or beyond 25th Birthday, then at 30th, then every 2 years to 40 , then annually, which is a stricter standard.

I wouldn't be too worried about the ECG if your are healthy and have never had a cardiac problem. They are looking for a normal cardiac rhythm, plus absence of Q waves or inverted T waves and if you haven't had a cardiac infarct it will not be a problem (unless you have some other fairly uncommon things in your age group like Wolf Parkinson White syndrome or a prolonged QT interval - all quite rare).

MarkerInbound
29th May 2013, 08:02
Sorry for beating this one - so, as I read it, I do NOT need an EKG if I go for my first class medical tomorrow?

When is your birthday?

BritishGuy
29th May 2013, 13:55
October 15th. Born 1978.

MarkerInbound
30th May 2013, 00:48
Just checking to be sure tomorrow wasn't your 35th birthday.

wondering
30th May 2013, 22:17
Have you checked the 'Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners' by the FAA? That should have most if not all the information you are looking for.

BritishGuy
31st May 2013, 15:07
An EKG is not needed under 35. Proof - got a First Class this morning. No EKG required.

MarkerInbound
1st Jun 2013, 06:00
You read the reg posted above, you're required to be able to read and understand English to hold a FAA pilot certificate, why was this ever a question?

BritishGuy
2nd Jun 2013, 21:53
Ahhhhh..... why.... Oh why?

custardpsc
8th Jun 2013, 10:13
Hmm. Some confusion here. The original question actuallt was do I need an EKG, but the rule stated is about ECG not EKG.

Maybe the op had typing issues, or english issues but an EKG is nothing to do with ECG and is a very different question, but is very pertinent to initial cetification.

If ECG was what was meant, the rule stated contains the answer in unambigous terms. If EKG was the question, suggest reasking it.

MarkerInbound
8th Jun 2013, 12:12
EKG and ECG are the same. Kardia is Greek for heart and K is sometimes used instead of the C in cardio.

EEGs and EMGs are different animals but neither is normally required for a FAA medical.

custardpsc
8th Jun 2013, 12:52
mi - thanks, I was wrong there, confusing my EEG and EKG. Never heard it called EKG here. I did get an EEG on my UK initial class 1 though. Required for rotary, due to strobe effect of sun through blades triggering epilepsy apparently. They EEG you whilst flashing a strobe in your eye at different patterns. Most unpleasant ! The nurse giving it said she would give me one flash to start and she can usually tell if it is going to be an issue just from that.