PDA

View Full Version : Did the Morayvia museum get a VC10?

NutLoose
28th May 2013, 17:44
I know they were trying to save one, see

VC10 K4 Tanker Appeal: Saving another Great Tanker for Posterity at Morayvia (http://www.thevictorassociation.org.uk/community/showthread.php?124-VC10-K4-Tanker-Appeal-Saving-another-Great-Tanker-for-Posterity-at-Morayvia)

Oldsarbouy
28th May 2013, 17:57
Sadly Morayvia were unable to buy the last VC10 K4 ZD241 but there is always tomorrow and the last C1K should soon be up for sale. The Morayvia membership, although small in numbers, managed to raise a significant sum but couldn't afford the £27000 asking price.
Morayvia have been invited to exhibit their Nimrod forward fuselage at the Waddington Air Show this year so why not come aboard and meet the guys, maybe even join.

NutLoose
28th May 2013, 19:02
The good news is 241 will be kept live at Brunty.

I do hope they get a C1 instead, as there are few being saved, unlike the Nimrods where everyone seems to have one ( no offence meant ) there will be one Ten at Cosford, one at Brunty and the Duxford one, which isn't many.. Shame UK PLC these days sells our heritage to museums, but alas I can understand the reasoning behind it, though turning the lights off at Westminster overnight would probably recoup the same amount.

Evalu8ter
28th May 2013, 19:37
Plus one at Brooklands....4 (at least) in the UK preserved out of 50-odd airframes doesn't seem that bad.....

dragartist
28th May 2013, 20:00
I am surprised the Smitsonian Hangar at IAD don't want one to remind them of the noise. A mate who still lives in Fairfax Va always used to comment on the two aircraft he could hear. one was the VC10. the other was Concorde.
At least he had an early warning to get the steak on the smoker as in those days it did not take us too long to clear customs. never had the chance to fly supersonic but it did feel odd facing backwards and overtaking Jumbo jets.

GreenKnight121
29th May 2013, 02:12
Shame UK PLC these days sells our heritage to museums,

Better than selling it to the scrappies, which was the only other option in this case!

NutLoose
29th May 2013, 02:26
Better donating them though or permanent loans, after all the folks of the UK bought them and often at museums is their only chance to see what they pay for.. Perhaps one day we will get to a dirth of rare aircraft in museums because in the future the cost of them will push them out of reach of the museums. And the £30k it costs to buy them is £30k that's not there to spend on the upkeep of other aircraft in the museums... I believe some US museums at the moment are going through some serious scrapage of their fleets with the cuts in funds.... And some rare stuff may go too.