PDA

View Full Version : Passenger pickup at Exeter Airport

Storkeye
28th May 2013, 12:53
I'm planning a flight to Exeter EGTE at the weekend to pickup my sister in a PA28, beats her catching the bus and I get some hrs in my book, winwin!

I wonder if anyone has any experience of passenger pickup at Exeter? It seems to me to be quite difficult to get through security. Would she have to go through normal security to get to airside? Or is there a GA club she can get a cab to for more direct airside access?

Mariner9
28th May 2013, 13:19
Quite straightforward.

You (the pilot) will have to exit through the security gate close to the visiting aircraft parking area and walk 50 yards to Aviation South West were you can meet her. ASW will take your landing fee and book you out, file a FP if reqd, and hand you a pass to exit airside back through the same gate.

Saturday is a great day to go as the CFI buys several bags of doughnuts so make sure you ask for one! :ok:

CharlieDeltaUK
28th May 2013, 20:44
Isn't it rather expensive to land there by the time you pay for handling etc?

Chilli Monster
28th May 2013, 20:54
Pre-pay the landing fee via the Aviation South West website and it's not that bad - £27.40 up to 1 tonne, £41.40 up to 1.5 tonnes

Aviation South West - THE Exeter flying training school handling GA Aircraft on behalf of Exeter Airport (http://www.egte.org.uk/)

mad_jock
29th May 2013, 08:33
Has the food in the terminal improved at all in the last 5 years?

I diverted to Cardiff once given the choice between the two with Bristol out purely because of that reason. BK in Cardiff or a mankie baked tattie in Exeter didn't take long to choose.

Gertrude the Wombat
29th May 2013, 09:17
I diverted to Cardiff once given the choice between the two with Bristol out purely because of that reason.
Bristol Airport served the worst coffee in the world when I was last there in the late 1960s. That's why I've never been back.

mad_jock
29th May 2013, 09:34
Bristol isn't bad to be honest these days in my experience.

Never been over to the GA side of things but on the commercial side of things ATC are good and ground ops sensible and efficient.

Fuji Abound
29th May 2013, 11:29
Not my experience of Bristol - the hospitality is some of the best any where, and the fridge has a very enticing selection of all things cold for the pax.

Morris542
30th May 2013, 08:12
No problems with Exeter. After landing, follow the signs to the gate and from there to Aviation Southwest. Everyone in there will help you if you have any problems. When you want to leave, they can give you a pass that will get you airside - no need to go through the security in the terminal.

On the whole a fun airport with a good mix of commercial, training + GA flying going on. Landing fee was £27 for an AA5 so not too bad. Dunkeswell is just down the road and might be worth a look too.

Genghis the Engineer
31st May 2013, 10:44
No problems with Exeter. After landing, follow the signs to the gate and from there to Aviation Southwest. Everyone in there will help you if you have any problems. When you want to leave, they can give you a pass that will get you airside - no need to go through the security in the terminal.

On the whole a fun airport with a good mix of commercial, training + GA flying going on. Landing fee was £27 for an AA5 so not too bad. Dunkeswell is just down the road and might be worth a look too.

I use Exeter and get "handled" by Aviation South West fairly often visiting either work or family. The airport itself is a bit big and clunky, but ASW are very helpful and as cheap as I think they can manage to be somewhere like that.

G