PDA

View Full Version : Queenstown Dream

johnwells3366
28th May 2013, 11:38
Bit of a pipe dream as I dont even have my first job yet, but in a couple of years I would love to do a year or 2 in Queenstown.

Has anyone made the move over the ditch? What kind of hours did you have?

Cheers

zappalin
28th May 2013, 13:48
Moving FROM Darwin to NZ? Plenty would have done the opposite, but can't think of any who'd be going your way. Especially with minimal hours.

PS Sorry I can't be of more help, but there is a good reason that you see so many Kiwi pilots working in Australia and other overseas places.

Jagdfalke
28th May 2013, 14:26
Not too many flying jobs in NZ, unfortunately. I'm one of the Kiwi pilots johnwells refers to. If there were sufficient jobs in NZ, i wouldn't be in Aus.

The jobs in QT will most likely go to pilots who have plenty of mountain flying experience, which is difficult to come by in Aus. You are much better off staying in Darwin. Queenstown is nice, sure, but also a bit overrated. The climate in NZ sucks, as does the pay - a big issue considering that QT is a tourist hotspot, and everything is priced accordingly.

haughtney1
28th May 2013, 15:14
Stay out of NZ, make your money, then pounce when property values tank...NZ is 20-25% over priced:E

Heres a Queenstown Dream (http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/residential-property-for-sale/auction-551864119.htm)

On Track
28th May 2013, 20:37
Yes, it can be done and has been done, even with minimal hours.

Yes, you need specific mountain flying training to be employed by any Queenstown operator. That is easily obtained but it takes time and money.

No, you won't get rich and career progression could be more difficult in NZ.

Private message about to be sent.

johnwells3366
29th May 2013, 04:52
Queenstown over rated??? :eek:

I have been there many times, months if its all combined and I love it there.

So career progression and money not top of my priorities just a little adventure before life has to start for real.

From a distance
29th May 2013, 09:36
If its mountains and adventure you seek, then look to another island closer to Darwin. You can't beat PNG for both of those.

27/09
29th May 2013, 09:47
Stay out of NZ, make your money, then pounce when property values tank...NZ is 20-25% over priced

Heres a Queenstown DreamHaughtney, you've got your locations mixed up, that's Wanaka, very different and better place than Queenstown.

johnwells3366
29th May 2013, 11:11
Would love to do a stint in PNG as well but dont think they are really comparable apart from what you mentioned.

Lack of snow for one? (not saying good snow so lets not start ranting about the snow quality)

haughtney1
29th May 2013, 17:18
Haughtney, you've got your locations mixed up, that's Wanaka, very different and better place than Queenstown.

Oh contraire 27...my subtle bit of irony lost on you....the queenstown dream being one of them:E
But yes, Wanaka is a far better place than Queenstown these days, it has a real village feel to it, if only I could convince the missus that having a place near the lake was a good idea:ok:

Jack Ranga
29th May 2013, 22:45
johnwells, as your motivation is not the usual one seen on these boards, I say pack up and do it mate. There's always a way. I've seen a few people achieve these sorts of goals, they tend to be the happier people in life :ok:

johnwells3366
30th May 2013, 02:00
Cheers Jack. Yeah I have the same long term goals as many others on here but a bit of adventure along the way cant hurt.

Yeah I love Wanaka as well and the village atmosphere. However my girlfriends company has an office in Queenstown.

Haha I want an adventure but I have a girlfriend and mortgage which must be considered.

Chocks Away
31st May 2013, 10:56
Stay outa Queenstown cuz, it's a Sausage Fest! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=SG&v=LOWL0KMAIek&hl=en-GB)

johnwells3366
31st May 2013, 11:37
HAHA nice chocks away

Although when I was hitting QT in my younger days (single) I never left without hitting something. Infact maybe thats why I love it so much as I did so well there each time I went