PDA

View Full Version : Incident at YMMB today

Back Pressure
28th May 2013, 04:40
Around 13:45 local, I saw chopper hovering overhead, and tuned in to hear TWR West mentioning an emergency related to 35L.

Cops, firies and ambo all in attendance according to the missus (who was driving past at the time). She saw nothing other than their flashing lights.

Any info out there ?

VH-XXX
28th May 2013, 04:54
Maybe the incident hasn't happend yet...

Light aircraft in mid-air emergency (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/light-aircraft-in-mid-air-emergency-v/story-fni0fiyv-1226652223172)

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2013/05/28/1226648/939660-generic-photos-of-police-car-000-crime-law-justice-emergency.jpg (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/light-aircraft-in-mid-air-emergency-v/story-fni0fiyv-1226652223172)BREAKING NEWS: A LIGHT aircraft is in trouble over Moorabbin Airport.

A LIGHT aircraft is in trouble over Moorabbin Airport.

Preparations are being made for an emergency landing as the plane circles overhead.
The MFB and Victoria Police have been contacted about the emergency situation.
More to come ...

heraldsun.com.au

triton140
28th May 2013, 05:01
From the ABC:

Plane lands safely after reporting problem
Updated 6 minutes ago

A light plane has landed safely at Moorabbin Airport, in Melbourne's south-eastern suburbs, after reporting problems with its undercarriage.

The pilot of the Piper Arrow aircraft had concerns the landing wheels had failed to lock into place.

Fire crews were on standby as the plane circled to burn off fuel but it eventually landed safely at around 2:00pm (AEST).

Nothing to see here, move right along ........

JustJoinedToSearch
28th May 2013, 05:09
Which Arrow was it?

Atlas Shrugged
28th May 2013, 05:27
An Arrow with a gear problem....now that's a surprise !:p

Flying Binghi
28th May 2013, 05:30
Aww, gee, no blazing aeronautical wreck plummeting into the school yard..:suspect:

Oh, well... better luck next time..:hmm:

YPJT
28th May 2013, 05:50
Wonder if the nav lights were on? That is usally the cause of about 90% of any landing gear problem involving Arrows.

aroa
28th May 2013, 06:03
Or the rheostat ...that turms the lights down for night flying..??
the 3 greens look like not on in daylight.

Is Tuesday, funny day???
Some comments Give Safety thru Levity. Thanks for the chuckles.
Better than safety thru Clarety from the other mob.

Sunfish
28th May 2013, 08:05
I would have thought the tower would have asked that question about the navs and dimmer.

From memory on an Arrow the nose gear light sometimes takes a bit of time to come on.

Horatio Leafblower
28th May 2013, 09:04
safety thru Clarety

Almost as good as Safety through Burgundy.

Not a fan of Safety thru Chardonnay tho. :yuk:

mcgrath50
28th May 2013, 13:14
Evilducky,

Haven't flown an arrow but the semionle can get a gear unsafe warning in turbulence from the squatswitch being bumped around, I assume the arrow would be similar. Cycling the gear should fix it up.

evilducky
28th May 2013, 22:24
Yeah I came to the same conclusion. My concern was more that when I cycled the gear I didn't get my beloved three greens.

just a dumb pilot
30th May 2013, 23:41
This incident highlighted a real safety issue in Victoria.
I watched the emergency services arrive and take up thier positions on the airfield. Many Fire Trucks at least 3 police cars all sitting waiting for the aircraft to land.
The aircraft was holding as is usual practice it was not burning off fuel nor was it trying to get its gear down.
IT WAS WAITING FOR THE AMBULANCE TO ARRIVE just like many other emergencies in Victoria.

kabukiman
31st May 2013, 05:08
"tower xxx can I please land now I've burned enough?"

"xxx no ambulance has not arrived yet, give it another twenty"|

Does anyone know which arrow it was?

ForkTailedDrKiller
31st May 2013, 08:24
Wonder if the nav lights were on? That is usally the cause of about 90% of any landing gear problem involving Arrows.

......and Bonanzas! :O