PDA

View Full Version : What's the spruce route?

Konkordski
29th Apr 2002, 11:28
Any of you luvverly people heard this expression? I gather it's a popular name for a specific type of transatlantic route, but I'm at a loss to find out more...anyone?

Loki
29th Apr 2002, 17:57
My memory is not what it was, but I believe it owes its name to the route taken during ww2 across the Atlantic by both transport aircraft and those on delivery.

Hew Jampton
29th Apr 2002, 21:43
Think it is Blue Spruce. Route across the Atlantic for aircraft not cleared for long over-water sectors - non ETOPS twins or no HF etc. Scotland-Iceland-Greenland-Gander etc. Used for ferry flights.

tinyrice
29th Apr 2002, 22:50
Bravo Mr Jampton.
Back in the 70's when we couldn't get both steam driven HF's on our 707's to work,we'd send them back to the States via the Blue Spruce route. It kept TWA within VHF or radio relay range across the cold dark Atlantic. As I recall,not very popular with the crews or passengers because it was a bit round the houses.

Tucano
29th Apr 2002, 22:51
Hi guys/girls,

Hope you're all well!

NAT MNPSA Ops Manual says:

Blue Spruce routes are:

"A number of special routes (which) have been developed for aircraft equipped with only one Long Range Navigation System (LRNS) and carrying normal short-range navigation equipment (VOR, DME, ADF) It should be recognised that these routes are within MNPSA and that state approval must be obtained prior to flying along them."

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Tucano :)

Findo
29th Apr 2002, 22:53
Konkordski, would you like to e mail me about this.

Bigears
30th Apr 2002, 07:51
http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/NAO/NAOTOC.htm
Chapters 1, 4 & 7...... :)