PDA

View Full Version : A busy weekend over Scotland...where did you go?

fisbangwollop
26th May 2013, 12:44
As Summer has managed to make a brief Bank Holiday weekend visit to Scotland :p it appears to have brought every man and his dog out to play. I spent most of yesterday talking non stop at "Scottish Information" so it would be nice to maybe hear your stories and even view some piccies of what turned out to be a fabulous aviating day. :cool:

10W
26th May 2013, 13:28
A very pleasant evening low level trip from Prestwick to Glenforsa in G-DRAM on Friday, meandering up the West coast of Scotland in beautiful conditions and splashing down in Loch Awe and Loch Avich along the way.

Lots of good food and a couple of excellent beers, plus good craic, in the Glenforsa Hotel along with Alison & Brendan Walsh, plus other visiting aircrews, followed by a night camped out under the wing of G-DRAM in the beautiful clear air of the island of Mull. :)

Early rise on Saturday and a short hop across to Oban in G-DRAM, where I mounted the folding bicycle and caught the train back to Prestwick for an afternoon shift at work :(

Meanwhile G-DRAM chased the train through the Pass of Brander and landed next to the railway station at Loch Awe, much to the delight of the kids (young and old) on the train. I just acted blase, as I'd seen it all before ;)

G-DRAM spent the rest of the day flying Air Cadets from Loch Awe and is expected to visit Oban and possibly Glenforsa again on Sunday, before heading back home to Prestwick.

Hope everyone who flew has had as good a weekend as I did :ok:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/941923_10151358930016901_687904581_n.jpg

thing
26th May 2013, 16:17
Got to Oban from Wadd just after lunch sat. Had a fuel stop and up the Great Glen to Kinloss. Absolutely glorious weather all day. Overnighted at QK, drank lots of beer and had two curries at Forres and Findorn.

Set off this morning in clag to Leuchars so decided to route around the coast from Kinloss, by the time I got to Fraserburgh it had cleared up considerably but decided we might as well stay on the coast as it was the most direct route. Nice persons at Aberdeen routed us through their (quite busy) class D and we arrived at Leuchars around lunchtime. Quick stop and chat then back to Lincoln in lovely weather.

Great weekend.

riverrock83
26th May 2013, 16:57
I went down to Castle Kennedy to join 55 or so other small planes... You guys on the FIS were extremely busy!

Tried to say Good bye to you before switching to SafetyCom (North end of Loch Ryan) but we must have been just out of range...

I hear there were also 25 or so planes at Glenforsa yesterday and a fair number at Oban too...

Not having visited any of the Expos or Rallys it was amazing to see so much GA in one place...

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/9587/wp20130525012.jpg

fisbangwollop
26th May 2013, 19:06
Thing......I spoke to you on Saturday on the way to Mull, sounds like you had a great weekend......nothing better than flying over Scotland in fine settled weather :cool:

fisbangwollop
26th May 2013, 19:08
Riverrock.......was probably the busiest day on sector for a long long time!!....fun though and yes once your south of Girvan if below 3000ft we tend to lose comms with you, glad you had a good day, talk again soon :cool:

fisbangwollop
26th May 2013, 19:11
10W......despite that bike ride good to see you were fit enough to put in a full shift! :cool:

xrayalpha
26th May 2013, 19:18
We had three instructors on the go from 8am until 8pm - plus flying for people scared of heights (in our hovercraft!)

Plus East of Scotland microlighters popping in to and from Gigha.

Non stop - and fabulous!

thing
26th May 2013, 19:56
Thing......I spoke to you on Saturday on the way to Mull, sounds like you had a great weekend......nothing better than flying over Scotland in fine settled weatherIndeed, the vis was outstanding. I flew up to Oban at 7,000 and could see the North Sea on one side and the Morecambe Bay on the other. Thanks for the great service as well. Don't get up to your parts often but Scottish Info is always a class act.

Edit: Had to laugh passing Inverness, some guy was on saying he was doing general handling in such and such an area, controller came on and said 'Could you be more specific, that's half of Northern Scotland'...

Piper.Classique
27th May 2013, 17:40
Controllers can have a great sense of humour

Mentioned to the lady at Oxford the other day (who was doing a pretty good one armed paperhanger job with the numptys, on a cracking good day) that there were a LOT of gliders around and got the reply that her screen looked like the milky way.
Then got to be what seemed to be exclusive use of the sky from Plymouth Mil from Isle of Wight onwards.

Phill
27th May 2013, 20:17
Curious as to who was giving it large in the North Highlands? Aerybatic displays and loose formation field bashing up by Wick???

BabyBear
27th May 2013, 20:25
Twas a 4 ship from WW, I believe. A Yak, Pitts and a couple of X41/42s.

I had the pleasure of their arrival at Glenforsa the previous evening.

BB

thing
27th May 2013, 20:25
I didn't catch the response was because me and my oppo were laughing.

maxred
27th May 2013, 21:27
BabyBear Twas a 4 ship from WW, I believe. A Yak, Pitts and a couple of X41/42s.

I had the pleasure of their arrival at Glenforsa the previous evening.

They may also have touched down at PIK on route. Ah.. Instagram is such a valuable social media piece

Slopey
28th May 2013, 08:09
Aberdeen - Perth - Castle Kennedy - Glenforsa on Saturday, then Oban, Dornoch and Aberdeen on Sunday in the trusty C172.

Fantastic weekend for it! :) And the usual superb service from Scottish :ok:

Here's one 3/4rs of the way up the parking line at Glenforsa, Sat afternoon.

http://www.slopey.com/public_image/glenforsa.jpg

PENNINE BOY
30th May 2013, 08:24
Had a great 2 days flying, Huddersfield up to Glenforsa on the saturday, then Oban Gigha and tea in the isle of man.

Thanks scottish for your usual service and good banter! :D

Rgds
P.B.

piperboy84
3rd Jun 2013, 20:36
Fantastic days flying today that ended in a bit drama, took off out off Forfar climbed up over Montrose than made for Inverness and the Black Isle via Balmoral and over the Cairngorms had breakfast at the terminal at Inverness then flew back and went up to the house to cut the grass, my nephew called and said i better get back down the hangar as there was 6 police cars round the plane, upon my arrival they informed me that a dog walker had reported an aircraft crash in the woods (my strip is surrounded by trees) after realizing it was a false alarm I thanked them for the quick and numerous response had it been for real they would have been on top of it.

A good day all round and Scottish Info as usual done a great job.

fisbangwollop
4th Jun 2013, 06:09
Piperboy......I think we spoke on Sunday as you flew around your local area....nice to hear you on the airwaves again :cool:

mad_jock
4th Jun 2013, 09:30
nice to see that it took the pilot turning up to explain the to Tayside police that an aircraft isn't crashed.

Got stopped by one of there finest white caps after the reg plate fell off the back of my trailer. List of questions after I had replaced it with the spare and cable tied the sod on this time.

Finished with "Is this an articulated or rigid lorry sir"

After establishing the trailer was a extendable 50ft trailer and the road tax was good for 45 tons.