PDA

View Full Version : Lake Eyre renamed

Hasherucf
25th May 2013, 05:25
Hi all

Noticed on news.com.au that Lake Eyre has been officially renamed Lake Kati Thanda. This comes after a native title claim granted last year .

Question is will operators have to pay royalties to the aboriginal corporation for flights over the lake or bus loads of tourists visiting.

Lake Eyre to be renamed Kati Thanda-Lake Eyre | adelaidenow (http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/lake-eyre-to-be-renamed-kati-thanda-lake-eyre/story-e6frea83-1226650200624)

Ultralights
25th May 2013, 06:48
so, i guess we are just going to erase all evidence of deeds by our european forbears from our history and kiss goodbye to a part of our heritage. :hmm:

yes, i understand the Aboriginal heritage is far older here than European heritage, why can they be combined? not one removed and replaced with another...

RatsoreA
25th May 2013, 06:55
Call me a xenophobe or racist, but why does someone else's culture and heritage get elevated above another's?

I have no doubt I'll be hounded down by this comment, but I'm not just referring to this event or this cultural clash in Australia.

Flame retardant underwear now on...

criticalmass
25th May 2013, 07:27
What has been renamed once can be renamed again...and again...and again.

VH-XXX
25th May 2013, 07:39
RatsoreA, you don't happen to have a 13 year old daughter do you?

OverRun
25th May 2013, 07:42
The essence of any Third World country is to rename the main features. Most importantly, there must be no contribution of effort, infrastructure, or creation by the renamers.

Sorry, who was renaming what, to a new name?

Ejector
25th May 2013, 07:56
So who owns this land where the lake geography is?

nitpicker330
25th May 2013, 07:57
Really??? Seriously???

Jesus H what's next???

Ejector
25th May 2013, 07:59
"Question is will operators have to pay royalties to the aboriginal corporation for flights over the lake or bus loads of tourists visiting."

How can they have rights to the air? Can't happen

Avgas172
25th May 2013, 08:14
Always thought the soveriegn rights to airspace was owned by the Commonwealth ... like the mining rights.

Shagpile
25th May 2013, 09:05
Before anybody gets carried away the news I heard on abc said it has been renamed to "Kati Thanda-Lake Eyre", so pick which one you want to call it (or both).

Capt Claret
25th May 2013, 09:09
Not much different to Uluru/Ayers Rock, Kata Juta/The Olgas.

Is it?

Mail-man
25th May 2013, 09:24
So.... I'm the only one thinking 'Thundercats'?

peterc005
25th May 2013, 09:29
Renaming Ayers Rock to Ularu was not big drama, so I don't expect any drama renaming Lake Ayers either.

ANCPER
25th May 2013, 11:13
I doubt British heritage is under any threat, if anything it's just recognition of aboriginal culture.

gassed budgie
25th May 2013, 12:24
if anything it's just recognition of aboriginal culture

Ask Warren Mundine what he thinks about aboriginal culture.

Desert Flower
25th May 2013, 13:25
Marree wants its man back

Marree Hotel publican Phil Turner leads push to revive Marree Man | adelaidenow (http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/marree-hotel-publican-phil-turner-leads-push-to-revive-marree-man/story-e6frea83-1226650555551)

HE'S gradually faded into oblivion - but the Marree Man may soon be coming back to life.

Appearing out of nowhere in 1998, the 4km-long mystery carving in the Far North had been a huge drawcard since it was first discovered on native land at Finniss Springs.

But with barely anything of him left, locals are now leading a push to bring the Marree Man back to life.

Marree Hotel publican Phil Turner, along with the rest of the Marree community, wants to resurrect the figure.

"I haven't spoken to anyone in this area, including the indigenous people, the pastoralists or other business people who wouldn't support it - they want it," he said.

"I don't know of anything that's captured people's imagination as much as this formation in the land."

The huge outline, depicting an Aboriginal man holding a throwing stick, was carved into the red soil exposing the white limestone subsoil - but the artist remains unknown. Mr Turner said he had already been in discussions with the local community and Arabana people about saving the landmark.

Marree Roadhouse Motel owner Lyall Oldfield said he supported the push to re-do the outline.

Arabana Aboriginal Corporation chairman Aaron Stuart said his committee was working with Mr Turner and the owner of the William Creek hotel, Trevor Wright, to resurrect the Marree Man.

"Tourists tend to love it - it brings in an economy to Marree and William Creek," he said.

[email protected]

dartman2
25th May 2013, 15:54
It is the hallmark of a third world country to rename landmarks.

Sunfish
25th May 2013, 22:21
Dart:

Lake Burley Griffin = Lake Julia.

Morton Bay = Kevin Bay.

mcgrath50
26th May 2013, 01:11

Third world nations like New Zealand and Canada? :rolleyes:

Flying Binghi
26th May 2013, 02:00
via dartman2

errr, i don't think we were a third world country when we first (re-)named it lake Eyre... although, this time, yer probably not far off the mark..:(

I reckon the tourist operators will like the 'new' name..:cool:

Pinky the pilot
27th May 2013, 03:02
Lake Burley Griffin = Lake Julia.

Morton Bay = Kevin Bay.

What a horrible thought, Sunfish!:eek:

However, wouldn't such a thing possibly only happen if the abovementioned were discovered floating in said bodies of water?:confused:

Capetonian
27th May 2013, 07:23
Sadly we've seen a lot of this in South Africa and Rhodesia as they revert to savagery. If there were any evidence that the 'new' names had originally been used by the natives then there might be some value, and that is the case sometimes, but mostly the new names are just invented or translated.

It is wrong to try to expunge history by changing names. If someone born before 1981 says they were born in 'Zimbabwe' then as far as I'm concerned they are a PC apologist and an idiot, because Zimbabwe did not exist before 1981, they were born in Rhodesia (possibly Southern or Northern depending on when they were born.)

psycho joe
27th May 2013, 10:16
IMO Capetonian is totally correct.

Given that Australian Aboriginal culture utilised an oral history that required a continuous link through each generation to pass on knowledge. And given that that the links have been broken in every aboriginal community to varying extents through drugs, petrol and exposure to western culture; No-one living today would know the original names for these areas. (Assuming that these areas were relevant enough to the ancient Aborigines for them to bother coming up with a name in the first place.)

In my GA experience, most young Aboriginals had a closer affinity to American "Gangsta Rap" than they did Aboriginal culture.

Perhaps lake Eyre should be re-named lake "Hey! What yo lookin at Mother F:mad:er"...Traditional home of "Da Boyz" people.

Then again as an Australian culture, perhaps we could stop apologising and actually start teaching the last 200 years of our culture, including our explorers and pioneers. Although, that may engender some form of pride. It just wouldn't do, to be proud of white explorers - that would somehow be racist.

Better to just erase all traces of white history so everyone can be happy.

le Pingouin
27th May 2013, 13:54
Good heavens! I didn't know John Howard was a Pruner :E

Compylot
27th May 2013, 14:47
Yeah spot on "psycho joe" and "Capetonian", spot bloody on!

You know when I was gettin me first Southern Cross tatt back in 98', (before Southern Cross tatts were cool), I was asked "Mate, what is it that makes you proud to be Australian", and I said;

"Mate, we've done so much for this bloody country, if Europeans hadn't arrived here this place would be in the dark ages still.

"You know the "Australian Aboriginal culture", mate they didn't even have towns or cities and sh*t. They didn't even have books mate!"

Lake Eyre should stay Lake Eyre!

Edward Eyre who set the land speed record there in the 60s (I think?) is a fitting person to have his name associated with this piece of Australian history.

Anyways, I'm going to smash some 'Western Culture' in the form of a few dozens cans, some bongs followed by a couple of meth pipes with me Aussie mates. Sure beats sniffing petrol mate.

I agree pyscho joe, thats why my last tatt was of Ned Kelly on me neck, thats the real Australian history mate :ok:

gerry111
27th May 2013, 15:00
Compylot,

I think Donald Campbell was the only person that set the land speed record on Lake Eyre.

Seriously, time to cut down on the recreational drugs, mate..

le Pingouin
27th May 2013, 16:16
Whooooosh!!

Fantome
27th May 2013, 16:25
yep . . .. that's the sound it makes . . . . .. but we DO keep coming back again and again (compulsively) to read reams and reams of xenophobic crap.
Looking for a few words of real wisdom.

As for a few of the preceding posts ?????

And as for talk of no authenticity to aborigine place names . Please! Do a bit of home work. Look up George Augustus Robinson in Van Diemens Land for a start.

And only an ignorant red neck could refer to 'dark ages'.
Once again, do a bit of homework before slagging off at
a culture you know SFA about.

Read a few papers by Henry Reynolds too.

Maybe the smart arses are related to the murderers who manned 'The Black Line'? (Or the aforementioned JWH?)

psycho joe
27th May 2013, 23:24
Compyplot and fantome thank you. You are the perfect examples of scary ignorance, perpetuated by our failing school system.

This country was colonised by the British for the purpose of being a concentration camp. (It was actually the British who coined the term concentration camp some time later wrt South Africa) The inmates were sent here to literally be worked to death as slaves. Others came here to seek adventure and a new life. The fact that these early pioneers not only survived, but turned this country into the destination of choice for many people from around the world is something to be celebrated. That's not xenophobia!

Have you even read of the accounts of Eyre and other explorers? Eyre's best friend and co-expeditioner was aboriginal. Along his journey he befriended and was actively helped by many tribes, whom he acknowledged as keeping him and his party alive. (Although some also stole from him, murdered some of his men and left his party for dead). By all accounts Eyre wasn't a xenophobe. He didn't go forth to conquer the natives. He went out to explore and map the continent, to open up grazing farmland and to increase the prosperity of this nation. That's why they named stuff after him!

mcgrath50
28th May 2013, 00:52
Your post above Psycho is not xenophobic. I have no problem being proud of the last 200 years of history, but why can we not also be proud of the history of this land before European Settlement and the dream time stories?

Given that Australian Aboriginal culture utilised an oral history that required a continuous link through each generation to pass on knowledge. And given that that the links have been broken in every aboriginal community to varying extents through drugs, petrol and exposure to western culture; No-one living today would know the original names for these areas. (Assuming that these areas were relevant enough to the ancient Aborigines for them to bother coming up with a name in the first place.)

It's good that we have such a world renowned expert on aboriginal culture on this board and I do hope hope you get in contact with the Arabana people who's dreaming stories are centered around Kati Thanda-Lake Eyre and who have continued to call it Kati Thanda since settlement but obviously they have somehow gotten confused over the years. Please set them straight

But if anyone doesn't want to use names such as Uluru or Kati Thanda that's fine, from the ABC article on this, "We're quite happy for people in general conversation to use either one of the two names or both together,". So no need to get your knickers in a knot.

psycho joe
28th May 2013, 01:13
Never said that I was an expert in aboriginal culture, but if you think that names and stories aren't made up in more modern times as part of a native title claim then you are just being naive.

But if anyone doesn't want to use names such as Uluru or Kati Thanda that's fine, from the ABC article on this, "We're quite happy for people in general conversation to use either one of the two names or both together,". So no need to get your knickers in a knot.

Well isn't that just grand? I've been given permission to continue calling lake Eyre "Lake Eyre". But only if I do it in "general conversation". :rolleyes: