PDA

View Full Version : What path should I take?

Wizbod7
24th May 2013, 21:44
Hi guys!

Been a member on here for a while now, and found it a great source of information.

I've always loved going on planes ever since my first time on one when I was roughly 6 years old. More recently I've looked into a career as a pilot as the enjoyment I get out of just being a passenger motivates me to get to that cockpit! We can all dream I suppose!

Now I know what you might be thinking 'has he even flown a plane?' The answer is no, but I doubt I'd be disappointed or wouldn't enjoy it!

I do plan on getting a class 1 medical as soon as I come of holiday at the beginning of July and hopefully start my ppl!

The reason for this post is I'd like to get people's opinions of which route would be best to eventually achieve my dram of becoming a commercial pilot.

The 2 routes I have in mind are, 1, work and pay for lessons and build hours, or 2, go back to college and complete A levels in maths and physics, unsure of 3rd/4th subjects as I only have gcse's.

I'd really appreciate people's responses as this decision is tough, and is also beginning to annoy me now, I just want to get on with trying to turn a dream into reality!

Thanks guys! :)

TeaTowel
24th May 2013, 22:10
Get a class 1 medical.

Do your A-levels.

Start saving/making money to prevent future debt.

Enjoy being 16. 17, 18, get drunk, party, make stupid mistakes. Don't worry about adult life just yet. You can be doing that for the rest of your life.

Wizbod7
24th May 2013, 22:54
Thanks for the speedy replies! I'm due to go on Holiday on the 19th of June for 2 weeks in Rhodes, really looking forward to it, especially the ride there & back! :).

That's what I'll be doing as soon as I get back, I really need to get things moving considering I'm 23 now, wish I had the same frame of mind when I was still younger! But I'd say times still on my side if I get myself into gear!

The only downside to A levels is ill struggle to work as well as my grades would suffer, what are your thoughts? Thanks again.

pudoc
25th May 2013, 00:05
As said above, do your a-levels. Also, try to get a job at an airfield where they will pay you with flying hours. This will benefit you and usually works out cheaper for the flying club.

dareen
25th May 2013, 09:47
Enjoy your holiday. Get all the information on what it entails on training/costs eventual return and life style. To be fully qualified these days would cost 100k
but then its extremely tough finding work at the end of training sometimes can take up to 10 years or worse case scenario no job. If one does get a job it can be on a starting salary of 18k.

Maybe consider the trades: plumbing electrician and fly for pleasure even get your own plane one day and with all the money you save go on many holidays to Greece or further a field, sit back enjoy the scenery and let others take you there.

Cheers

pudoc
25th May 2013, 13:42
100k to get qualified? Funny how it cost me 55k.

limesoda
26th May 2013, 08:50
Hey,

Here's a few things that would be good to consider prior to training:

Do your A levels

Do a try flight

Some nice UN-BIAS advice can be found on BALPA's website. Definitely sign up and learn about some of the realities about the industry today.

Subscribe to Flight International or Airliner to give you some GOOD topical insight into the industry; not just aircraft, but other important aspects, including technology, airport management, growing industries and economics. Showing you have an extended interest in becoming a commercial pilot shows your not a fake and really made the effort to get where you want to be.

Get a class one medical and undergo an aptitude test - these can be the real decider on your future.

And remember not to tie yourself to one career and focus on getting an education - i did that during my A levels and ended up dreaming too much!

good luck!

Wizbod7
1st Jun 2013, 20:05
Thanks for all the responses guys, I guess A levels are the way forward. Hopefully get started as soon as I return from holiday. How much will it cost per hour to learn, just a rough price will be fine? Thanks guys!

Jonnybug
5th Jun 2013, 00:29
Good information, this will help me out lots. :) What jobs would provide a person with flight hours for payment? Just curious as I haven't heard of such a thing but if it is true what jobs could potentially pay hours and provide other benefits to obtain the dream job of a pilot (commercial). Unfortunately I don't think money of up to 100k is a choice for me.

Gomrath
6th Jun 2013, 23:48
100k to get qualified? Funny how it cost me 55k.

Well it would be very useful of folk were to specify a currency symbol - then you can compare apples to apples.

redsnail
7th Jun 2013, 11:05
I would head over to the GAPAN site for more information. They do testing too every now and then. Worth a look. :ok:

Find out what is required for a Class 1 medical. The main gotcha's are colour blindness, being too long/short sighted, diabetic or significant hearing issues. If you know you're clear, fine, if not, get those items checked out.

A levels? Well, as you'll be competing with a squillion other newbies, then probably a good idea.

gpiper
11th Jun 2013, 08:41
What ever happens, you must finish school first, then think about the security of becoming a pilot. You are going to get your licenses and wait for at least a year to get employed , apart from that, banks will be phoning you everyday to remind you that you have a dept to pay. But there is a solution to this, you do a degree, non aviation related, so you have a back up plan, play it safe, go pro.;)