PDA

View Full Version : How does the runway in use affect flight time?

Peter47
23rd May 2013, 18:45
I was flying into LHR from AMS on Sunday and came in over Windsor. As a matter of interest , if you exclude time in the stacks, how much extra time does it take landing from the west from an a place like AMS (or conversely do you save coming straight in on a transatlantic flight)?

Presumably the effect on flight time when departing is much less as aircraft can turn shortly after take off. Also, does the distance at which an aircraft must line up with the runway depend much on weather conditions such as wind & visibility?

I've a second question. There were about four aircraft waiting to cross the active southerly runway which was being used for take offs and we had a significant wait getting into T4. Are there laid down policies or is it down to the judgement of the tower controller bearing in mind congestion at different points on the airfield?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd May 2013, 19:29
Hello Peter. Difficult to give definitive answers as there are so many variables. Coming from Amsterdam and landing to the west over London would probably save about 10 minutes as opposed to landing to the east over Windsor. Transatlantic flights rarely get straight in approaches and usually route to the holding areas prior to making an approach. The actual distances from those holds to landing varies depending on traffic (amount and type), wind, weather and other factors. The final approach distance depends on other traffic but weather can play a part if greater distance is needed between landing aircraft.

Departing aircraft fly set routes and do not just turn sharply after take-off.

Crossing traffic is entirely under the control of the Air controller responsible for the runway. At Heathrow there are separate Air controllers for arrivals and departures. Naturally the controller would take account of any traffic on the opposite side of the runway before permitting a crossing.

ShyTorque
23rd May 2013, 20:18
Many years ago, when my kids were young, we emigrated to the far east. The aircraft, a B747, showed a simple chart on the TV screens, giving the aircraft position and the distance to go to destination. These were switched on as we taxied out and showed exactly 6,000 miles to go. The runway in use was 09.

Suddenly, as we trundled our way to the departure point, the distance changed to show 6,001. My three boys noticed this and panicked, pointing to the screen above their seats and shouted to me to tell the pilot that he was going the wrong way! It caused a lot of laughter, thankfully the crew took their advice after takeoff... :p