PDA

View Full Version : Two on ticket, one flies?

peuce
23rd May 2013, 01:54
I have one for the gurus.
Where I am its very difficult to contact the appropriate airlines, so I thought I'd get a feeling here before going to all the trouble.

Two people have a joint International Air Ticket...say, Mr & Mrs Smith.
Say Mrs Smith can't take the flight, can Mr Smith still proceed on that ticket?

ExXB
23rd May 2013, 08:00
There is no such thing as a 'joint international ticket'. Under the Warsaw and Montreal Conventions all passengers must have a ticket in their name. (Years ago there were domestic group tickets, but I think they have disappeared.)

Assuming there is nothing in the tariff requiring both passengers to travel (i.e. a family fare) there should be no reason the travelling pax would be refused transport. However at take first opportunity you should advise the airline that the other passenger isn't travelling. Do not simply show up and get on the plane - that will cause problems, tell them the passenger isn't travelling and to cancel all subsequent sectors.

Edited to add. Don't forget to ask for a refund. While the fare may be non-refundable any taxes are! This could be a significant amount.

Agaricus bisporus
23rd May 2013, 13:03
However if a joint ticket isn't legal I'd be a bit sceptical that taxes have actually been paid at all, esp given the reference by to OP to "where I am".

Sounds like it could be a scam to me.

peuce
24th May 2013, 07:59
No, don't panic folks. No Scam.

I should have used the correct phraseology (especially on pprune). There are two Passengers on the one "Itinerary".

We have managed to contact one of the airlines involved and no problem with 1 passenger turning up and getting on...but NO refund...not even taxes. I guess they are amalgamated on the one itinerary.

Capot
24th May 2013, 18:14
Or perhaps the airline doesn't do refunds, period, including taxes until you threaten legal action.

ExXB
24th May 2013, 20:56
Actually there are two passengers on the same PNR (Passenger Name Record) with the same itinerary.

I'm surprised you won't get the taxes back. The airline has collected them on your behalf. They are not entitled to keep them although they are entitled to withhold a reasonable administrative fee.

Can you tell from your ticket (e-ticket) how much the taxes are, or tell us your itinerary so we can give an informed guess. If its less than $30 then there is no point wasting your time.

If its more I would send a nice letter to the ticketing airline's refund department asking for a refund of the taxes. If they demure then I would send the exchange to your ACCC in Canberra. They will certainly help.

The ticketing carrier should be mentioned on your ticket, they are the ones that have your money.