PDA

View Full Version : Does PPRuNe actually help anyone finding a job?

RTN11
22nd May 2013, 21:34
Does anyone actually find the hot lead that leads to them landing a job from here on PPRuNe?

I certainly didn't, and any hot tips I know of are nowhere to be found on this forum, as people tend to play their cards close to their chest these days.

I notice that these wannabe forums used to specifically say they were for first time job hunters, not for those looking to move between airlines. It no longer says that, possibly because if it did there would literally be noone in here.

PPRuNe Towers
22nd May 2013, 21:54
Just above your posts it says:

here's the place to swap the hot gen on who's sponsoring or employing, their selection criteria, and where those oh so elusive first jobs can be spotted in the wild.

RTN11
22nd May 2013, 22:15
True, but lately all that there seems to be that are actually about jobs is a couple of big name cadet programs.

My genuine question is whether people first heard about these opportunities here on PPRuNe, as a lot of people seem to come here for advice and take it seriously.

Lately in this section, there seem to be lots of threads started questioning what low hours guys are supposed to do, moaning that there are no jobs out there for low hours guys, or bashing pay to fly. Not a lot of discussion of selection criteria for any airlines.

pudoc
22nd May 2013, 22:22
I keep my secrets close to myself in case I need that job one day!

I found pprune no help for getting a job, the only thing it really did for me is put it into perspective of what the industry is like.

I don't help people get jobs at all with my posts in this section. My posts are more of a "there are jobs out there" and "it's not as bad as they say" as opposed to "here's a job you should apply to". Not to say my posts aren't helpful...most of the time. :E

I did find a good few things though when I was looking for a job, none of them came through but they were good leads I hadn't heard anywhere else.

contacttower118.2
22nd May 2013, 22:24
I find the posts about the airline schemes to be useful, in a lot of cases I hear about them here first and PPRuNe rarely seems to miss one. Always read all the threads from start to finish for info since I'm planning on applying to as many as possible.

The other stuff though, P2F, general complaining etc... :zzz:

Bearcat F8F
22nd May 2013, 22:44
Occasionally you get informative posts in different sections being posted... what I generally tend to do is send the author of the post a quick PM. In the past few years, I've had some fantastic help and info being provided this way which I'm sure will benefit me in the future.

There is a lot of drab on this forum though... but if you pick out the right bits of info, I'm sure it will help.

seymoreskye
22nd May 2013, 22:44
When I first came on here it brought me into contact with a few people and one chap in particular that I have so much to owe thanks to his advice and guidance.

This chap has helped me through every part of training and will also be the key to helping me with my first job.

I also chose the training school and the training type to help me decide on my future due to the current market and now working towards my FI course.

Does PPRuNe help or lead you in that direction itself? some would argue this point. Does making contacts through here help? Yes it does, as does all networking!

Work your way through 90% of the B.S and arguments and you will find some gems that will lead you on.

EDITED to say: No I am not being groomed!! haha :ugh::ugh:

N747EX
23rd May 2013, 00:38
I found out about the Thomson jobs last year on pprune. I got an interview ended up messing up the interview but had I not I would have had pprune to thank for the job.

mad_jock
23rd May 2013, 02:21
It helps with the networking for some jobs.

Personally I don't know anyone that got a job mentioned here.

But I do know a lot of people who have made contact with people via pprune that have got jobs off the back of that networking.

90% of the jobs aren't even advertised there is no need to as there is huge numbers out there that are kicking about. Generally you can ask a few of the pilots if they know anyone and you will have 5 names within a couple of days all of which personality wise will fit into the team as the pilots don't want to have to work with knobs either.

average-punter
23rd May 2013, 18:40
For me yes, I met a good friend on here who has given me so much invaluable help and advice over the years and helped me get my first job but proof-reading application questions and giving me interview help.

Luke SkyToddler
24th May 2013, 01:32
If by that you mean, "does anyone announce a secret job opportunity on here that they've heard about, so that 10,000 other wannabes can apply for it" then no of course it doesn't help find a job.

However it does serve many other useful functions :

1) it is a great networking tool and I personally have helped and been helped by others several times to get a recommendation to a flight ops department or a CV on top of a pile

2) it does help massively with getting company-specific interview and sim prep, and general research purposes

3) it has helped countless people dodge a bullet in terms of a bad employer, a scam or a non-job masquerading as a job - which is a function that seems to be getting more and more useful these days, as the number of ripoff artists in this industry seems to be at an all time high

TypeIV
26th May 2013, 23:25
It for sure helped me timing the right place. I've also helped a few others following my trace. It's up to you, connecting the dots. No one is ever going to to pm you and offer a job. You have to use what ever networking skills you have to be at the right place at the right time.