PDA

View Full Version : Basic CPL "Overseas Licence Conversion" Australia

READY NOW
21st May 2013, 21:59
Hi,

My Request is about the “Overseas Conversion “ from an JAA CPL(IFR/ATPL…..) to an basic Australian CPL/SE. (already checked all info s on the CASA Page.)

The essential Parts of this Validation are 2 written E EXAMS (CLWA/CHUF) and a Check Flight.

So I have already established that the Question Database of the CASA is not known.

It is the same in Germany at the LBA. But there are several Training Databases available that fit nearly to 98% to the Questions of the LBA. ( Aviation Exam / CAT / Bristol … )

My plan is not to do stupid Brute Force Training but to be as good prepared as Possible.

I will try to do as much learning Work as possible while I am still in Germany in order to save Time.

-Are there Any Pilots on this Board who did this CPL “Overseas Validation” in the last Time to share their Experiences with me?

-Is there any Database available that fits in the best possible Way to the “CASA E EXAM”? (AFT?)

-how to get prepared for this Test without an Expensive and Time intensive Flight School Ground Course?

-I have found this (Overseas Licence Conversions (http://www.aft.com.au/store/contents/en-us/d35.html)) is it a good offer?

-are there any Alternatives?

-is there anything additional that I should take into account?

Best Wishes from Bavaria

JRL89
21st May 2013, 22:59
The Conversion Distance learning course from AFT you found is fairly good value. The "Bob Tait" CPL text books are designed specifically to prepare for the CASA examinations, however there are plenty of other authors and texts with varying detail and information on the topics if you wish to know more.

I would suggest you print yourself a copy of the current "Day VFR" syllabus from the CASA wesbite. www.casa.gov.au (http://www.casa.gov.au) which will outline both the flight standards and knowledge requirements for the CPL flight test. Ground training block 2 is a great place to start for getting a feel for the knowledge requirements

It is fairly hard to state a fixed figure for how many hours of briefing and flying you may require, it will all depend on the assesment of your performance in the aircraft and getting used to the idiosyncrasies of flying in Australia.

In order to sit the CPL flight test, you will have to pass a Recommendation flight, which ensures you meet the standards as set out in the Day VFR syllabus. How much flying that will take, I couldn't say.

Hope this helps

Clare Prop
22nd May 2013, 00:30
I converted a UK CPL many years ago and have since converted others from overseas to the Aus CPL.

The main thing is to find a school that has experience in doing this conversion. Instructors who have only ever flown in Australia and have no experience of the European flying environment may be bemused at the way you do things and make assumptions about what you have done previously. I've even seen people get loaded up with student pilot licences and all sots of stuff they don't need.

I've found the amount of flying required to meet the CPL standards in the Day VFR Syllabus can vary from 5 hours to about 30.