PDA

View Full Version : UK CAA examiners are issuing UK CAA licences out of UK?

scanavos
21st May 2013, 17:08
A flight school based e.g in Poland is advertising that it has a UK CAA examiner on staff. If a student pilot takes his final CPL MEP/IR skilltest with this examiner, will he be issued a UK CAA CPL?

S-Works
22nd May 2013, 08:19
If they are operating on a UK CAA ATO approval then the UK CAA will issue the licence. It is not down to the Examiner it is down to the ATO approval.

There are many UK CAA ATO approvals outside of the UK. Our company has such approvals in Spain for example. So if you did your CPL/ME with us then you would be doing it with a UK approved ATO and would be able to apply for a UK licence.

Level Attitude
22nd May 2013, 14:18
Any EASA Competent Authority can issue any EASA Licence or Rating
to any person provided they are also the Competent Authority that
holds that person's aviation medical records.
ie The Class 1 Medical must be done in the same country that will
issue the Licence.

ATO is irrelevant
Where the course is done does not matter as long as it was at an EASA ATO.
It is usually the competent authority of the EASA country the ATO is in which
will authorise it - not the UK CAA (though I suppose it can).
(EASA ATOs in non-EASA countries, eg USA, now being authorised centrally by EASA).

Examiner doesn't have to be a UK Examiner
Any EASA authorised Examiner can test, in any country - but if UK is required to issue
initial Licence then Examiner must be designated by UK CAA

Medical must be UK held
The UK CAA will only issue a Licence/Rating if they are also the
competent authority that holds your medical records

peterh337
24th May 2013, 21:09
So how will e.g. the Greek PPL schools work, for a UK resident customer?

Unlike the IR, the license issue has to be done by the Greek CAA. But they won't be holding your medical records, usually.

Ex Oggie
24th May 2013, 22:07
The Class 1 Medical must be done in the same country that will
issue the Licence.

Not exactly, you got it right in the first sentence. The medical can be done in another State, but the records must then be transferred to the State that will issue the licence.

XO

2close
29th May 2013, 22:47
Examiner doesn't have to be a UK Examiner
Any EASA authorised Examiner can test, in any country - but if UK is required to issue initial Licence then Examiner must be designated by UK CAA

I think you will find that the examiner no longer needs to be designated by the UK CAA.

A Part-FCL qualified examiner can now be from any EASA member state and all s/he is required to do is to undertake the UK CAA briefing, which has been set up as an administrative on-line exercise.

Examiners | Training and Exams | Personal Licences and Training (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2026&pagetype=90&pageid=13935)

With the highly competitive prices being offered by overseas ATO's compared to UK equivalents, the flood gates may be opening - we are hearing of more and more students going overseas. It used to be commonly the case on every course that many students used to ask for recommendations of UK ATO's because they wanted a UK issued licence. Now, those enquiries are rapidly dwindling as all they need to do is get a UK medical and they are issued with a UK licence, irrespective of where they carry out their training or do their Skills Test.

I'm not going to cast doom and gloom by overplaying it and saying it is the beginning of the end but it certainly doesn't appear to bode well for the home based UK flight training industry.

S-Works
30th May 2013, 07:07
All students who are training through our approvals in Spain, regardless of the nationality have their licence issued by the UK CAA. I have signed CPL applications for Spanish and Italians in the last week. What they do long term on the SOLI is up to them it it seems a lot of pilots want a UK CAA issued licence.