PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need up to date advice on flight schools in South Africa

Easy_Red
20th May 2013, 15:29
Hi

I am interested in gaining my CPL - (Multi Engine) IR, I Have no prior experience therefore I will be needing to start at PPL level up to CPL - Multi completing with at least 260 hours.

I am looking for a good CAA approved flying school in South Africa preferably on the coast which offer quality and fast one to one training in a relaxed atmosphere.

My original plan was to go to Florida and get all my licenses in 3 months time, following the accelerated pilot program offered at the school there but unfortunately I had to change country in the last minute and cancel my plans of training in the US.
so now I am looking at flight schools in South Africa which I am not too pleased to say will take me at least a year to do my training there :ugh:

I have contacted 43 air school and Flight Training College but was put off by the amount of rules the school has on it's students and yes I do understand there one of the best flying schools in the country but it seems to me a very busy school with high class numbers which I am not too keen on, as I am looking for a school with a small class number or one to one is even better.

Any advice is greatly appreciated :ok:

portos8
20th May 2013, 18:41
Flight Training College in George possibly is the best outfit in SA. It is owned by Walter who used to teach there himself, maybe that has changed but George is still a very good place to learn to fly. Who told you you can get a ME/IR with CPL in 3 months? Count on at least a year in the best of places.

Graham@IDC
21st May 2013, 20:26
Hey Easy_Red,

Your questions are slightly worrying because they suggest that you've not really done enough research into your chosen career.

18 months is the absolute minimum you could expect to go from zero to CPL. In fact I doubt that even this is realistically achievable. Most people take 7-12 months just to do the theory!

You should not be put off by a school with lots of rules - that's a very good sign. The aviation industry is a very rule dominated environment and it prefers graduates from tightly controlled schools.

43 Air School is a very professional outfit, has good quality accommodation, good instructors and a very professional approach. It's widely recognised by African airlines as one of the best schools in Africa - if not the best. That's why so many of them send their students to PA.

If you're put off by the size take a look at Guthrie in Zimbabwe. They are an up and coming school who will shortly be offering a full European compliant licence programme and will be using the Padpilot ground school system.

Easy_Red
25th May 2013, 05:56
Hey Portos8 and Graham@IDC

Thank you very much for your help and advice.

The course that I mentiond in florida is an FAA Acelerated professional pilot course, this course and the flight school it self were recomendid to me by a first officer in the airlines who is a graduate of the school.

I am currently focusing on South Africa for flight schools.
I heard allot about flight schools in Cape Town and Durban, do you recommend any ?

Also which do you think is better fly at Durban, Cape Town or George?

portos8
25th May 2013, 06:59
George. Durban and Cape Town are too busy. Not that George is not busy but it is in my opinion more geared up for training. Scenery is incredible, go live in Herolds Bay or Wilderness, bring your golf clubs, buy a surfboard, you will have a fantastic time there while doing your training. Stay away from CFS, FTC is definately the nr1 place there. Count on 18 months for the entire 0 - f ATPL in SA.