PDA

View Full Version : New 30+ seat turoprop is the market there

rob39
19th May 2013, 16:04
Anyone in the industry know if their are any plans to build a new 30 + seat regional airliner, reason is I've recently been traveling on business within the UK, short hops 450 miles max. On one instance, been out on a J41 with 23 pax and back on a Q400 with 34 pax . With aging and out of production J41's S340's, Q100-200, Do 328's, is there a desire to build one?, is it viable option on sub 500 mile routes? I was talking to an individual who works for an airline who feels there is a need but their Q400's break even at 29 pax. Or are the latest ERJ 135/145 CRJ 100/200's jets filling the gap

AdamFrisch
20th May 2013, 00:01
Complete layman here, but: I think there's a huge market, just based on as you say, the age of the fleet. Also, point to point and thinner lines will probably increase in the future due to the hassle and cost of connecting at hubs.

Tecnam is developing the P2012 10-seat twin that I think will take a lot of orders from those smaller airlines now struggling along with old Islanders etc. For the shorter and lower routes like in the Caribbean and elsewhere, turboprops are not really economical.

Evektor is developing a high wing 20-seat turboprop which will probably replace a lot of Twin Otters and Dornier 228's.

It seems the 30-seat market isn't well supported at this time, but maybe Saab will come back and maybe someone else will develop something.

Phileas Fogg
20th May 2013, 05:37
Struggling along with the old Islanders? ... Simply buy/lease some new Islanders!!!

Of course there is a market for 30 (ish) seater turboprops, BN2 Islander production ceased and then it restarted again, DHC6 Twotter production ceased but then it restarted again, Do228 production ceased and then it restarted again ...

I recall there being attempt(s) by RUAG to recommence Do328 production but complications set in, I believe Saab are out of the commercial airliner game and thank heavens the Shed 330/360's have long since gone

DaveReidUK
20th May 2013, 06:57
I would be amazed if any manufacturer were to launch a 30-50 seat regional airliner in the foreseeable future.