PDA

View Full Version : Would being gay be an obsticle to becoming a Commerical Pilot ?

BOZR_DOUGIE
19th May 2013, 15:20
I know this is a sensitive question, but at the moment I am a PhD student in Ireland, I currently hold a JAR/EASA PPL with IMC and I currently fly a lovely Piper Arrow II at weekends etc. around Ireland.

I am still toying with the idea of going commercial in a few years (I am still only 22) once I get my PhD.

One thing that is worrying me is potential exposure to homophobia in commercial aviation; I am slightly effeminate looking.

I know alot of Pilots live in the 1950s and on one occasion I was doing a photoshoot for my local LGBT Soc with the plane (I had permission from the flying group head) and me in a gay pride shirt and some of the other (GA) pilots were somewhat offended (from other clubs not mine) and called me a "Puffter who doesn't belong in a Cockpit, unless he means his ***"

It hurt me, I love flying, I have a Class 1, My Examiner said I was the best he has examined in ages and that I have natural talent for it which was cool .

It shouldn't be a problem and I hope it won't be but its just running through the back of my mind, it completely knocked me off an interview a couple of years ago for a Cathay Cadetship

fulminn
19th May 2013, 15:25
don't worry about these, at least in europe people should be open minded.
In my personal experience a knew a 772 (male)captain with boobs and skirt!!!
:ok::ok::ok:

RedBullGaveMeWings
19th May 2013, 15:27
You just had the bad luck to meet some tools that day. If you really want to fly, go for it.

EcamSurprise
19th May 2013, 15:36
other (GA) pilots

The bold highlights the issue..

I know a number of gay FOs / Captains and I can honestly say I haven't heard any stories, other than that they tend to gossip to the cabin crew too much...

Seriously, it won't be a problem and don't listen to a few idiots who haven't got a clue about modern life.

TeaTowel
19th May 2013, 15:48
You should have reported those other pilots as it is they who don't belong in a cockpit.

I need to ask why you are getting a PhD if you don't plan on using it after?

BOZR_DOUGIE
19th May 2013, 15:51
You should have reported those other pilots as it is they who don't belong in a cockpit.

I need to ask why you are getting a PhD if you don't plan on using it after?

Well I have a job the PhD is based on the Human Factors research I am doing now, I am only young, I like having my options open, even if I get a PhD related job I may do flight instructing at weekends just for the craic since I love flying so much

EcamSurprise
19th May 2013, 16:08

Reported to who?

contacttower118.2
19th May 2013, 16:09
Since when did doing a PhD require one to "use" it afterwards?

A lot of people do PhDs just because they find the subject area interesting and derive pleasure from contributing to the development of that subject. Does not have to confine them to a life of academia or research for ever and a day...

TeaTowel
19th May 2013, 16:39
Reported to who?

The club maybe the guards, anyone really. I believe technically its not a crime but it can be reported.

From barnardos.ie:

Breaking silence is the key to stopping it. Report the bullying.

BOZR_DOUGIE
19th May 2013, 16:44
The club maybe the guards, anyone really. I believe technically its not a crime but it can be reported.

It has happened all my life, I couldn't be bothered finding a guard and wasting his/her time over it, they have more important stuff to deal with; I don't really want to make a fuss over it, I like Weston its far nicer than the UK airports I used to fly from.

TeaTowel
19th May 2013, 16:45
Since when did doing a PhD require one to "use" it afterwards?

And he gave me an answer that its in Human Factors and would like to fly the weekends. His PhD will enable to possible fight homophobia in the workplace too. A good result all round.

He is not someone who just used their degree as CV filler. I have a particular disdain for them as you know.

BOZR_DOUGIE
19th May 2013, 16:58
He is not someone who just used their degree as CV filler. I have a particular disdain for them as you know.

People do that??

4 years research sounds like a Hell of a Lot to do for a CV Filler.

Plan C is to try and get funding on Automation in GA aircraft since its happening but the PPL syllabus stubbornly refuses to take account of it

TeaTowel
19th May 2013, 17:05
You make a very good point that the syllabus need updating. The ATPL's too.

BOZR_DOUGIE
19th May 2013, 17:11
The PPL Syllabus still hasn't caught onto Fuel Injection

er82
19th May 2013, 17:40
Being gay won't be an obstacle. Appalling spelling and grammar will be.

Proline21
19th May 2013, 18:15
Don't think it will affect you in your early stages of your career but depending on your future plans (maybe a good 10 years ahead of now) beeing openly gay might be a problem applying/working in any Middle East country unless society and laws changes rapidly which I doubt. I remember reading a discussion about gay CAs working in the UAE and most recommended to keep a low profile but depending on how you "live" it, it might lead to problems. Dubai might be ok always but no sure about the tollerance level in Doha, Bahrain, Kuwait, Saudi or East African countries such as Sudan, etc...

Very theoretic but worth to consider IMO

BOZR_DOUGIE
19th May 2013, 19:17
Being gay won't be an obstacle. Appalling spelling and grammar will be. Its the internet; my thesis and reports obviously have correct spelling and grammar.

Nobody else has commented

And don't forget to write in your CV that you are homosexualHardly

Don't think it will affect you in your early stages of your career but depending on your future plans (maybe a good 10 years ahead of now) beeing openly gay might be a problem applying/working in any Middle East country unless society and laws changes rapidly which I doubt. I remember reading a discussion about gay CAs working in the UAE and most recommended to keep a low profile but depending on how you "live" it, it might lead to problems. Dubai might be ok always but no sure about the tollerance level in Doha, Bahrain, Kuwait, Saudi or East African countries such as Sudan, etc...

Very theoretic but worth to consider IMO

I wouldn't want to work in place where I am breaking the law for just being me; nor would I want to contribute to the economy of such a place. If I ever do go commercial I will stick to the West and Possibly a couple of East Asian countries which are tolerant.

Mid East and Africa is out of the question, I won't even go there on a holiday

PURPLE PITOT
19th May 2013, 19:59
As for putting it on your C.V. Where is that supposed to go, under "hobbies", between musical theatre and ballroom dancing?

Seriously mate, 99% of us really don't give a monkeys about your sexuality, just so long as you can do the job, and don't make it the subject of 6-8 hour conversations on long sectors. Like child/pet bores, it gets old quite fast.

If you rule out certain destinations because of it you might find yourself becoming unpopular with your employer.

Aerlingus231
19th May 2013, 20:24
I see you're Irish, just FYI the last chief pilot at Aer Lingus was lesbian, so definitely not an issue there. Aer Lingus is very inclusive. As other said though, Etihad, Qatar etc. will have issues but nothing you can do about that...

BOZR_DOUGIE
19th May 2013, 20:25
Well I live in Ireland, I am really scottish so

Aerlingus231
19th May 2013, 20:36
Ah, right, just noticed that you flew out of Weston and made the assumption, either way, the point still holds. Plenty of Gay Captains and First Officers (relatively speaking) in Aer Lingus, I'm sure the same applies in most other airlines and the fact that the chief pilot was gay should be enough to say that it's no barrier whatsoever to even to top positions as a pilot. :ok:

MartinCh
29th May 2013, 10:25
you're not likely to fly to ME on European short haul. Even in the GA, those morons who were verbally abusive to you, should shut the :mad: up. They can have their opinions, but saying such stuff. Absolute retards.

Polorutz
31st May 2013, 14:15
I've flown with gay captains and I personally don't believe sexuality affects the operation in any way.

EcamSurprise
31st May 2013, 15:06
Not saying thank you to everyone on the other hand, might not help ;)

bcgallacher
31st May 2013, 15:47
I was a line maintenance engineer for about 40 years and worked with aircrew both hetero and homo and frankly I cannot recall anyone giving a damn about sexuality. The criteria in all sections of aviation is how well you do your job - anything else comes a long way second. Even in the middle east provided things are kept low key I really do not see a problem.

Gustavo_Nieto
9th Jun 2013, 17:56
Canada , Uinited States and Europe are one of the most cities and continent most advanced and very open

Unless you were flying in the UAE

Congratulations for posting this

clunk1001
9th Jun 2013, 20:21
Having worked outside aviation for nearly 20 years, I was shocked at the levels of racism and sexism when the door shuts on the simulator and the instructor has you all to himself.

All I'd say is that there are a few people in aviation who can and will get away with things that in any other industry would result in immediate dismissal.

But if you can ignore these types then go for it. A phd in human factors will complement a CPL particularly well and vice-versa.

Superpilot
9th Jun 2013, 20:48
I'm offering a lot of honesty here and hope you appreciate that. Not meant to offend in anyway...

This is typical of one of those questions that never gets answered honestly or accurately for fear of upsetting someone's most valued beliefs. Sorry to say but homophobia is secretly practised by millions but openly demonstrated by only a few and so you're not getting the right balance of views here as a result of this fact.

Now my question to you. Given the choice, do you think most straight guys would want to share a cockpit with a gay guy? Don't answer that question but use the thought process that you used to get to the answer to better understand the role you must play in an industry still dominated by many many macho types and guys with egos so big that they blow at the slightest sign of anything that is done differently or seems at odds with them.

Good luck

sgenie
9th Jun 2013, 22:02
Erm... I am lost here. What difference does it make? Why do you bring it up all the time? If you are not going to shag in the cockpit, why should it be any different from anyone else? I sincerely do not understand all the hype about the topic - why doesn't anyone ask if having a middle finger shorter than other would be an obstacle for becoming a pilot? Or red hair? Or pointy ears? This is just ridiculous, IMHO...

SloppyJoe
10th Jun 2013, 04:51
There are gay captains and FOs at Cathay, most think they are nice guys to fly with. As long as you work in the right country should not be a problem. Obviously don't hope to get a job with Emirates or anyone else in that backwards, closed minded part of the world called the middle east.

Halfwayback
10th Jun 2013, 07:12
BOZR DOUGIE
I think you will have gathered from the answers you have received that sexuality is not an obstacle to becoming a commercial pilot.
I shall now close this thread to stop it deteriorating with banal posts.

HWB