PDA

View Full Version : FAA PPL/IR/ME to EASA CPL

crosswindapproach
18th May 2013, 16:20
Hey fellows,

When having a FAA PPL/IR with multi engine ad-on, all EASA ATPL exams passed and all the minimum flight experience, what way will I be able to obtain the EASA CPL/IR/ME?

JAR-FCL states the following:

FLYING TRAINING
10 Applicants without an instrument rating shall be given at least 25 hours dual flight instruction (see
AMC FCL 1.160 & 1.165(a)(4)), including 10 hours of instrument instruction of which up to 5 hours may be
instrument ground time in a BITD or a FNPT I or II or a flight simulator (See AMC FCL 1.160 &
1.165(a)(4)). Applicants holding a valid IR(A) shall be fully credited towards the dual instrument
instruction time. Applicants holding a valid IR(H) may be credited up to 5 hours of the dual instrument
instruction time, in which case at least 5 hours dual instrument instruction time shall be given in an
aeroplane.

11 (a) Applicants with a valid instrument rating shall be given at least 15 hours dual visual flight
instruction.
(b) Applicants without a night flying qualification aeroplane shall be given additionally at least 5
hours night flight instruction (see JAR–FCL 1.125(c)). ~Appendix 1 to JAR–FCL 1.160 & 1.165(a)(4) (

(2) Whenever licences, ratings,
authorisations, approvals or certificates are
mentioned in JAR–FCL, these are meant to
be licences, ratings, authorisations, approvals
or certificates issued in accordance with
JAR–FCL. In all other cases these documents
are specified as e.g. ICAO or national
licences. ~JAR–FCL 1.005

Does this mean that even though I have an FAA IR I still need to take the "long" CPL course? Or will I be able to convert the IR first even though I do not hold a EASA license?

How about the night flying? I have more than 5 hours of night flight on my FAA license. Will this be credited towards the required 5 hours or will I need to take additional 5 hours in EASA airspace?

And last but not least:
If I need to take the long CPL course incl. 10 hours instrument time, will this be credited towards the minimum of 15 hours for the IR conversion?

Cheers,
Crosswindapproach

tonypool
24th May 2013, 18:02
Hi

By having an ICAO IR the CPL course is reduced to 15hrs from 25hrs. This is assuming that when you instructor tests your ability at the "instrument" part of the CPL that you do not need further training......

If you did the "full" 25 hour course the extra hours will NOT be able to be used for the Instrument Rating Conversion. As quite simply they are two different flying courses.

With regards to the night flying I dont have the information to hand to answer this one other than to say that the Night Qualification in EASA world is different to the FAA world where it is part of your FAA PPL.

Hope this helps

Rgds
TP

PS - If you have all the FAA stuff have you thought about using an EASA approved school in the USA to convert your CPL?