PDA

View Full Version : Medical Requirements for solo flight pre PPL

youngman1
18th May 2013, 10:55
Hi

As the title suggests... what are the minimum medical requirements for solo flight without pre PPl?

I know that a Class 2 is certainly required before issue of a licence but not sure whether it is beforehand.

sorry if this has been covered before

ak7274
18th May 2013, 11:04
You will be able to solo on the NPPL medical, but unless you are unable to pass a class 2 or the new LAPL medical I suggest going the class 2 route.

Prop swinger
18th May 2013, 11:59
You need to have some sort of medical certificate to fly solo, even when you're training.

Ebbie 2003
18th May 2013, 15:59
NPPL and LSA medical requirements are simpler that the PPL requirements just the self certification of meeting the driving standard endorsed by a doctor in the UK?

For solo in US for the full PPL one needs a Class 3 (Class 2 in UK?). Unless you know you can pass there is little point in commencing training - that said I was over 50, hypettensive, 250lbs+ and diabetic (type2) when I got mine so it's not that difficult to get - in fact keeping ones licence usable (and in my case not having my airplane be an expensive ornament) is great motivation to actively manage my conditions (which I term "fat bastard sindrome")

Grumpy Cat
21st May 2013, 15:05
FYI I went solo a year ago and all I needed was to have passed the Air Law exam and have a medical.

There were some complications in getting the Class 2 medical - I had something in my history that needed more investigation - so I used the NPPL self-certification form in the meantime to go solo. Had no issues with that as they just hold you to the same standard as a professional driver.

youngman1
21st May 2013, 19:32
Ok thanks for that.

I Already have an NPPl self certification. Is the validation period 2 years?

No worries getting a Class 2 as i have been passing RAF medicals for years.

RTN11
21st May 2013, 19:41
FYI I went solo a year ago and all I needed was to have passed the Air Law exam and have a medical.

There were some complications in getting the Class 2 medical - I had something in my history that needed more investigation - so I used the NPPL self-certification form in the meantime to go solo. Had no issues with that as they just hold you to the same standard as a professional driver.

The NPPL medical is a self declaration that you are medically fit. It happens to be the same standard as professional driving, but that doesn't mean you can just sign it and forget about it, if you know you have a condition you shouldn't be signing it, although your GP would offer advice it would be you who are liable.

Also, there is no legal requirement for air law pre solo, but it is often a club rule.