PDA

View Full Version : Kapiti District Aero Club

CenterGrass
18th May 2013, 05:57
This coming week, on 22 May there will be a SGM to discuss the deal the majority of the committee have made with the airport owners to move the club house and hangar across the runway. The owners wish to redevelop the present site, and the rest of the Kapiti Road frontage, as retail and/or commercial.

Three committee members opposed the deal for two reasons.
First and most importantly, it did not give the club secure tenure - as the land the club would move to would continue to be zoned airport use, the club could get thrown off at three months notice and at the clubs cost to remove all buildings etc.
Second, the move is going to cost the owners a fraction of the value they would get from the moving the club from present location.

One opposing member has now changed sides and no longer opposes the deal struck. However, the remaining two members are continuing their opposition.

It should be noted that the two dissenting committee members both have considerable knowledge of property, one as an real estate agent of many years standing, and held in high regard for his ethics, and the other is a very successful business person, who has had a very similar experience negotiating a very favorable deal, using professional property negotiators. It is unbelievable that the remaining committee members have disregarded the experience of the two and instead chose to trust that the airport company will do the right thing.

What could, and should, have been resolved by continued dialogue and negotiation has instead descended into a rather vile campaign by the President and CFI against the 2 committee members. Personal insults, personality assassination have been aimed at these two, both to their faces and behind their backs. They have not been invited to meetings, committee meeting have been held otherwise than in accordance with the constitution. The CFI has been allowed to attend committee meetings and take an active part including voting, although I believe the constitution only allows his attendance as an observer. Etc.

This aside, the main cause of dissent is the presidents refusal to consult a professional property negotiator. The agreement tentatively agreed to has, as stated, no security of tenure and is just the first offer the owners have made. Total cost to the airport company is estimated at less then $200,000. In return they get a prime retail site on the main read worth an estimated $1,000,000 plus. The club currently pays $15,000 per anum. The lease is secure until 2033 with only inflation adjusted rises allowed, the land is zoned commercial so the club can not be thrown off under the airport act.

This is by far the most valuable asset of the club. Handled properly, the income to the airport company from the club's present site if it were to be redeveloped as retail use would be around $100,000 - $150,000 per year. They get their costs of moving the club back inside of two years extra income.

This deal in considerably worse than the offer the club turned down in 2003. Since then land values have soared, and so should the return to the club.
A conservative estimate is the club should get around $500,000 from the deal - $300,000 better than so far offered and agreed to.
But even if the club doesn't try to extract a better deal $$$$, it is vital that they don't give in to the airport owners without the agreement giving security of tenure.

Recently, the Wellington Aero Club was thrown off their site, ownership of the historic clubhouse was assumed by the airport, and only very minimal compensation paid after the club moved to a vastly inferior site. A better deal has now been reached, but only after court action. An ex-president has expressed his regret that they did not get professional advise - basically they felt intimidated and didn't know they could negotiate.
It seems our club executive feel the same.

That, in brief, is the situation.

I welcome your opinions.

Weekend_Warrior
18th May 2013, 09:16
Good post.

The airport company wants the entire area east of the main runway rezoned from airport to retail/commercial. This includes the grass runways. If they succeed, goodbye Wellington Gliding Club. Apparently the Kapiti Aeroclub decided not to make a submission opposing this, presumably to avoid aggravating the airport owners. So much for the airport users supporting each other. Although not vital to the club's operation, closing it would be just another nail in the coffin. The coffin containing the remains of recreational aviation on the airfield.

On this theme, the new airport plan indicates that the parallel western taxiway would be closed, meaning a long backtrack from the club to the threshhold of 34. As the club's new site is at the threshold of 16, this is going to be really interesting when the airfield is busy. Trying to get a gap to do the long backtrack when there are 3 aircraft in the circuit? Yeah right.

As far as I know, this has not even been mentioned in negotiations.

I can think of other things, but the above post by CentreGrass - sp? - pretty well sums it up.

All members, please turn up to the meeting.

Tarq57
18th May 2013, 09:41
I have no experience or particular knowledge of business/property development, aside from watching what's happened over the years, and what the results have been.

I would say that based on what is happening at Wellington alone, it would be a certain madness to agree to the proposal. KDAC members intending to attend the meeting would be advised to learn what the process has been at Wellington in order to better prepare a shield of healthy cynicism. Sad but true.

I'm supportive of the aero club movement. A squizz at the big picture suggests that in a generation or so, the way things are heading, there will be very few aero clubs remaining. They will be replaced by corporate style flying schools. The social element - and key experiences available via aero club involvement, are often lacking at these types of schools. The object is to turn out a CPL at the best price, ready for harvesting by the low cost carriers, and the training tailored accordingly.

That's how it seems to me, anyway. If the statement above is correct, the day is approaching when there will be very few NZ nationals crewing the pointy end of the nations airliners.

If the low-hours crew, multi-crew licence, and other elements of airline operation that so far have been more common in LCC's overseas becomes mainstream here, frankly, that's the day I stop flying places. At least I have some control over where my car ends up if things start to go pear shaped.

mcrowe
20th May 2013, 00:04
I don’t agree with this post at all. From a concerned member it seems like these rogue committee members are getting some last minute plugs in before their SGM. Be assured the airport company will take a hard stance on the club if this deal can't go ahead. Here are a few things to think about:
- Kapiti Aero Club NEEDS new buildings and the airport company proposal is the best way for the club to achieve this without going into hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. Has CenterGrass even seen the state of the current buildings or considered how much of a financial burden it will place on the club if they have to build something out of their own pocket if the deal is refused? The building and land value is certainly not the clubs best asset as stated. The loyal members, quality flight training offered and aircraft are.
- Sure, the new club will not be on the same site on the main road – For a business that does not rely on foot traffic for sales it will not affect business at all. Who cares how much the current site is worth? There is no use sitting on high valued land if the club can’t do anything with it. The club isn’t in the business of property investment and the airport company simply aren’t going to fork out a million dollars because the current land is hot retail property! Get real!
- It is simply not the same situation as Wellington. I don’t think CenterGrass realises how much the airport company are helping the club out here. They are coming on board creating new taxiways, moving a hanger, moving a building and creating carparks (to name a few) and most of all are very supportive of GA on the airfield.
The airport have a hard stance on how much they can offer and if this deal doesn’t go ahead the club will be stuck in a deteriorating building with no financial backing to do anything about it. The airport company has told the club to either take or leave the deal so if this doesn’t go ahead then good bye aero club. Seems pretty obvious to me

tinrabbit
20th May 2013, 02:05
Has compensation definitely been paid to the Wellington Aero Club (for their old building) ? I thought the compensation was still being negotiated.

NZFlyingKiwi
20th May 2013, 09:59
From a relatively unbiased view from another aero club, I would say I do agree with one of the above points that the current club buildings don't appear to be in fantastic shape - I've visited the Kapiti Aero Club a few times in the last year or so while transiting to and from other places and I've always found the people there very friendly and welcoming but the club buildings are "showing their age" to put it politely. Not meant to be a dig at anyone, just an observation.

waren9
20th May 2013, 12:23
agree with tarq57 (again)

trouble is with aeroclub committees you often have a lot of well meaning people making some very important collective decisions in areas they have no professional expertise.

the only reason the marlborough aeroclub still exists is because they bought thier own field. otherwise it would all have been grapes years ago.

Weekend_Warrior
20th May 2013, 22:10
Quite.

Which is what it is vital that the committee get professional advice. It is their refusal to do this that has caused this rift, no whether it is a good a offer $ wise.

It may be that the deal is a good one, but who the hell knows?

THAT IS THE ISSUE, NOT WHETHER THE LAST DOLLAR HAS BEEN EXTRACTED.

Second issue is security of tenure.

Again, who know? No one on the committee is a lawyer, let alone a property lawyer, so who knows what holes are in the offer?

Again, the club needs professional advice.

CenterGrass
21st May 2013, 06:03
The situation is certainly different than Wellington, in as much as the Kapiti airport company can't make the club move as the land we lease is zoned commercial, with legally enforceable access to the airport, runway,etc.
In Wellington it was airport giving the owners all the power.
What they have offered is a very minimum to get us to move. We will be a little better off in one way with their offer, and a whole lot worse off in another - total loss of security of tenure.

As for two committee members going rogue, they are the only two with any commercial experience of property. The other committee members are an electrician, two IT geeks and a CAA employee. Worthy professions, maybe stretching it a bit, but hardly professions to give one experience in commercial property negotiations. (One other I don't know about).
That the two rogue members are concerned enough to go feral, as CFI describes them, should tell you everything about this deal.

I could go on but if the above doesn't cause alarm bells to ring with you, fair enough.

It's only an aeroclub, after all.

Bye Bye Grass
7th Jun 2013, 22:55
I agree with Mcrowe on this issue. the deal the airport company has offered the KDAC is amazing, just what we need for the club to grow.

Everyone is referring to the Wellington Aero Club's position change that has happened already - you can't change the past but we CAN change the future and that is what our exec committe are setting us up for THE FUTURE!

I hardly think the airport company is going to push KDAC out as the current committee has managed to have a great relationship with them and they have been very generous to the KDAC with the proposed deal :)

The existing clubrooms are shot to **** - it's unhealthy to even walk through to use the toilets :eek:

I understand what the two rogue committee members are batting for, but in this day in age anything given is a great thing - why ask for more we don't even own the land that the existing clubrooms are on.

90% of the club are on the exec committees side with the move, this has been proven with the votes - helpful hint for those opposing if you dont like it leave and stop wasting our valuable time :=:rolleyes:

Weekend_Warrior
8th Jun 2013, 03:06
I can only repeat, no one, including the 2 dissenting committee members, are against the move. The issue is security of tenure.

The present airport owners are supportive of the club, but who knows about future owners? It is no secret that the land would be worth far more without an airport on it, and although Todd seem to intend continuing the airport operation at the moment, it would only take a law change to allow them to cease this and make a fortune. Something they a quite good at.

On the subject of the vote - it was 54 for 13 against which is nowhere near 90%. A fraction over 80% according to my calculator.

And I won't mention how the committee stacked the SGM. Amongst other things, 4 of the people who spoke in favour are employees of one or the other of the Todd companies. A few other issues there as well but as some above said, we can,t change the past. Just hope like hell there will be a future for KDAC.

The above posters advise to leave is just the personal way this whole issue has become. The president and his supporters just can,t stand any criticism.

Bye Bye Grass
9th Jun 2013, 00:51
It would be appreciated if you take your battles elsewhere Weekend Warrior as most of us are in this for the social and flying aspect. and a few to further their career in aviation.

Whether the KDAC moves from our existing premises or stays where we are wont help the airport stay there!

What ever the airports future is KDAC has very little impact on that, we all hope for the best that TODD will keep the airport alive, for many years to come. How ever for the time being the airport is there and lets make the most of what we have been offered and try and improve the relationship we have with the airport company.

Like i mentioned earlier theres no argument here the club has voted please can we just all accept and be a Club again. Theres no place for politics in any small club.

Wingman09
10th Jun 2013, 07:42
Time for a change for KDAC. That place looks like the Mogadishu areoclub, im suprised it hasnt been bulldosed years ago.
That place needs some young blood and fresh ideas!