PDA

View Full Version : iPad use in US FAA exams?

1969shelby
18th May 2013, 04:34
For those of you in the U.S., can you tell me if Ipads, with such apps as flight planning, performance and wieght and balance are allowed to be used during the written? Or are you required to use the plotter and E6b?

Phoinix
18th May 2013, 10:29
I doubt the ipad or any smart phone/tablet is allowed, as you can have all sorts of helpful apps to look at.

1969shelby
18th May 2013, 19:27
Has this come up in other parts of the world? Just curious as they are now approved for commercial use.

Phoinix
19th May 2013, 00:13
In europe its not approved and I don't think it will ever get exam approved in faa. Flightdeck approved, thats another thing.

zondaracer
19th May 2013, 00:53
No cellphones or iPads allowed in FAA knowledge exams. You will need to know how to use an E6B, plotter, an normal calculator

rigidkid
21st May 2013, 07:30
Can you please advise me what the best source is of pre-exam study for the FAA CPLH exam?

Thanks

chopilot1984
21st May 2013, 18:51
Dauntless software for written test:

Dauntless Aviation - PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android Apps and Software for beginner through professional pilots. (http://www.dauntless-soft.com)

ASA book for Oral part, latest FAR/AIM for sure:

ASA: Oral Exam Guide: Commercial (http://www.asa2fly.com/Oral-Exam-Guide-Commercial-P1379_product1.aspx)

Good luck.

MartinCh
22nd May 2013, 17:48
Geez. Suprising you actually ask. Did you read some FAA sources saying Yes or see it specifically allowed in the PTS?
What's tested on flight exam is not following the magenta line on moving map.
I've seen it first hand when someone, supposedly flying heading/altitude or tracking 'CDI' on G400 to next waypoint, fiddled with iPad too much or veered off course few times, watching the iPad's magenta line more than what's been told (by me as FI).
Yes, it's handy for easy fuss-free private flying planning and more, but for checkrides?? :ugh:

bogey@6
23rd May 2013, 05:12
For now you need to know them by heart.. and some rules of thumb mentally. By the time you have progressed to some newgen machines, all would be taken care of in the FMS