PDA

View Full Version : Pilot debt, a safety issue?

TeaTowel
17th May 2013, 23:09
Extremely interesting article in this months Air International that I got today.

Pilot debt, a safety issue?

By Dr. Simon Bennett
Director Civil Safety and Security unit, University of Leicester.

Some quotes:

My 2010-2011 British Airline Pilots Association(BALPA) funded research confirmed indebtedness to be a problem for pilots. The following statement is typical: "I accrued training costs of £118000 (ab-initio and two conversion courses) current debt left after repaying for ten years is £62000. Monthly repayments to the bank are £1050. About five years to go."

Asked to comment on the quality of First Officers one Captain said: "They seem to be selected more on...their willingness to take on huge debt then on their suitability for...command. They routinely seem to be in such dire financial situation that stress is only a matter of time." Having taken on huge debt, mediocre remuneration makes it hard for pilots to make ends meet.

Debt is a stressor. It limits options and life chances and circumscribes choice and geographical mobility. This is why newly qualified pilots find themselves commuting long distances on a daily basis or living in poor-quality, overcrowded accommodation while on duty.

Pilots careerism and vocationalism is exploited by the airlines who know that most pilots will accept base moves. Only if regulators reference the realities of of pilots' lifestyles can they deliver intended safety margins.

Are politicians, regulators and airlines in denial? Yes they are. This can only end badly.

Buy the mag and read the full article. It is a word of warning to all you wannabes out there who think massive loans are the way to go.

AnotherWannabe
18th May 2013, 00:17
massive loans are the way to go.
How else could you land a job in a jet nowadays ?
I know you know better because you have more experience and a better view of the industry. I just don't understand why you overlook the fact that getting a massive loan is becoming the only way to get an airline pilot job (at least that's what I've gathered from pprune). And that's not gonna stop just because someone says so .

TeaTowel
18th May 2013, 00:27
I am also a wannabe, flip burgers and stack shelves and pay your way for 4-5 years maybe? Don't just sign up for a quick-fix integrated course.

How else could you land a job in a jet nowadays ?

One more quote from it just for you:

Pilots are besotted with flying and will do almost anything to get or keep a job.

To quote Meatloaf: "I would do anything for love, but I won't do that."

Edit: why you overlook the fact that getting a massive loan is becoming the only way to get an airline pilot job

Wait, I'm not overlooking it. This Doctor and I are looking straight at it and saying "**** that!":ok:

Bealzebub
18th May 2013, 01:03
Does this "safety issue" apply to any large amounts of debt, or only debt incurred through flight training?

As the research was funded by a pilots union would that have influenced the presentation?

You should see what doctors write about smoking and sugar consumption when their research is funded by tobacco and sugar companies!

I am not advocating debt as something good and wholesome, but it needs to be put in a wider context than simply paid research in order to reach a necessary conclusion.

There are many pilots (myself included) who have had eye watering levels of debt as a percentage of their incomes, at various points in their lives. Whatever stress that might have caused didn't necessarily carry into a working day. There are a lot of stressors in life: A row with your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend; a parents illness; teenage children; divorce; forthcoming court appearance; kids who want to become pilots; you name it. Managing these stressors is about leaving them in the car park when you report for work. If you can't do that, then you don't report for work.

In reality of course that is easy to say, and much harder to do. However I have serious doubts that debts incurred through flight training are necessarily any more stressful than debts incurred through anything else. In any event, given the usual "bank of mummy & daddy" comments on these forums, that stress should at least be shared?

TeaTowel
18th May 2013, 13:00
Asked to comment on the quality of First Officers one Captain said: "They seem to be selected more on...their willingness to take on huge debt then on their suitability for...command.

This is the part that concerned me.

Depone
18th May 2013, 16:24
And it is absolutely :mad:

There are so many pilots graduating and so few jobs that the airlines can be picky. Interviewers do not ask about a pilot's financial circumstances except to ask whether they can afford the type rating. The majority can.

And is it not possible that there are youngsters these days who have the aptitude to become airline captains, who in years gone by would have obtained cadetships, but for whom such avenues are closed?

TeaTowel
18th May 2013, 18:04
Interviewers do not ask about a pilot's financial circumstances except to ask whether they can afford the type rating. The majority can.

The majority can? News to me. Most people I know cant afford to keep their cars running.