PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

Hartington
17th May 2013, 18:13
Let us say I purchase Edinburgh/London on "Little Red" then a separate ticket on BA London/Bangkok and then a third separate ticket on Bangkok Airways to fly from Bangkok to Siem Reap. Let's further assume I leave a minimum 5 hours between each of those flights/tickets.

We've discussed arrangements like this before and come to the conclusion that there is a risk (not a certainty but a risk) of a delay in one flight meaning that the subsequent ticket becomes either invalid (because you didn't check in at the correct time) or subject to fees and/or extra fares to change to a leter flight.

There are insurance policies here in the UK that include "delay insurance" but, as I understand it, these offer insurance in respect of any extra meals or even hotels you might have to pay for if your flight is delayed and may even only include the first flight in a chain.

My question is whether there is a policy that would cover me in the case quoted above against fees/fares that AF and/or Bangkok would charge if Little Red delivered me too late and even that Bangkok might levy if the "connection" at London worked but BA suffered a delay.

adambsmith
17th May 2013, 20:54
My annual travel policy covers me for missed departures if the public transport I am travelling on is delayed and I miss the next flight (eg we are doing Heathrow to Bangkok to Samui soon).

The insurance has conditions about the timings re check in requirements but if our Bangkok flight is late and we have to purchase new tickets for Samui then we are covered up to £500 each.

Each policy will be different so you need to read the policy wording before buying.

Hartington
17th May 2013, 23:39
May I ask which company?

adambsmith
18th May 2013, 02:54
Ace Insurance.

My policy is provided as a benefit by my employer but it looks like it's available online too:

Cheap Holiday Insurance for Singles, Couples & Family - Ace Travel Insurance (http://www.aceinsure.com/travel/popup.cover.Benefits.asp)

Hartington
18th May 2013, 08:32
Thank you.

Hartington
18th May 2013, 08:38
Having read the policy document it seems to me that the publicly available version only covers you if you are delayed en route to the first airport (and that has to be in the UK).

farci
18th May 2013, 12:37
I'm no expert, but for a well-researched summary of what can and cannot be covered for UK residents I usually rely on Money Saving Expert's review (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-travel-insurance).

There is no such thing as 'cheap' travel insurance. It's worth spending an hour or two reading the small print

Hartington
18th May 2013, 17:19
I'm not looking for cheap! I just want to know of it's possible.

parabellum
19th May 2013, 11:10
Within the London insurance market there are underwriters that write what are known as special risks. If you were to set out exactly what you planned to do, what it cost, what additional, insurable costs would be incurred, up to an agreed limit, if delays occurred and then found a Lloyds broker to present the risk you could probably get the cover you are looking for. The cost of preparing the policy document may prove prohibitive but you might just get lucky.

ExXB
19th May 2013, 12:34
Would this be insurable? You are self connecting to an ultra-long haul in peak season and you miss your connection. No seats available for two or three days so you need to be rerouted via another hub but only seats available are in a mixture of business and first class.

One or two like that would wipe out the revenues from 1000+ customers that make no claim.

Not saying you won't find insurance for this, but if it exists its gonna be expensive!

parabellum
19th May 2013, 22:08
Agree with ExXB, anything is insurable and all angles and possibilities will be spelled out but it is the rate charged that may hurt!