PDA

View Full Version : Studying material for CPL subjects (ATC/Bob T)

kabukiman
17th May 2013, 06:48
Gday

long story short: I am studying human factors. Am using the ATC books (I am self studying, the ATC books got me a comfortable pass on my PPL). Tried two practice exams from flightcrewexams.com.au failed one, just scraped through on the one I just did.

I have read the book cover to cover and made lots of notes, done fine in the questions included in the book itself... but had trouble with the prac exams I bought from this joint. Some of the questions were pretty poorly worded. But this does not prevent me from being concerned for the real thing as I felt the ATC book has not covered some of the content of the test.

My question is should I go and buy other publications such as the Bob Tait books for my CPL subjects?

I am pretty confident in my knowledge from the ATC HUF book. Should I just sit the real test and see? Maybe give a few more prac exams a go, or find another place that makes up better more realistic exams for practice?

I am going to track down the CAAP and read through that. I have read there is a CASA human factors publication that may or may not be reading material for the exam, but the link i found for it does not work.

Cheers all

Airmagnet
17th May 2013, 07:11
Hi Kabukiman, I guess it's personal choice. Some pilots prefer the amount of detail in the ATC books, I personally find they drag on where as BT clearly outlines what you need to know for the exams and for your career. I personally use BT's material coupled with his online practice exams and all of my students pass first time! For HUF, a good read of the book(s) and knowing your TEM by reading the CAAP and you should be 'right as they say. Good luck.

peterc005
18th May 2013, 11:05
The key to passing these exams first time is preparation. It's cheaper to buy and read both lots of books than pay $145 to resit an exam.

Getting some sample exams, not related to the books is a good idea to make sure the coverage is complete.

Make sure you cover Threat and Error Management properly for HUF.

The online exams from Ground Effect Aviation - Flight Crew Exams (http://www.flightcrewexams.com.au/) seem very good.

kabukiman
19th May 2013, 12:00
When you put it like that it makes sense. I'll buy some extra material next time I'm at the airport

I guess I'll purchase each Bob Tait book and do each subject using both ATC and his books that way I'll have a decent understanding of the subject but also know what will be emphasised in the test

Diesel Pilot
21st May 2013, 14:49
kabukiman,

If you want my advice I'd recommend Bob Tait's books over ATC. I have both sets and found that ATC were very hard to digest where as Bob's books are very clear and to the point. Bob's books cover most of what you need to know to achieve well over 90% in all your CPL subjects. I have self studied all of my exams and actually just sat CFPA today and passed with 92%. There are a few things I found he didn't cover in his books which caught me out in the exams, even his own practice exams believe it or not, but nothing major.

My suggestion would be to buy his books and his online practice exam material for each subject. You do them over the internet just like the CASA exam and each one gives you very detailed feedback. That's how I've done it. Each "exam prep" module is about $50 and if you buy extra exams it's another $20 which sounds expensive but I justify it by comparing it to the cost of resitting another test.

Good luck!