PDA

View Full Version : Getting a CPL

7Gandalf
16th May 2013, 15:00
Hello PPRuNers,
My name is Vasanth and i am 17 years old. I finished my 12th exams a month ago. I am interested in getting a CPL. I did some reading and thought that I would do my CPL in USA in Dean International Flight School, Miami, Florida . I saw CoolBoy007's early posts and i am currently in the same situation he was in. I heard about the school from a friend of mine in which he is currently undergoing the CPL course.

I read lots of reviews about it and the majority of the ones i read seemed good. Can someone give me their opinions and suggest some good flight schools?

I have a few other questions:

1. Is the school i chose any good? I spoke with some students and the friend who i mentioned earlier. But some reviews online stated that the school is highly over subscribed and some times students have to 1~2 months without flying.
The school also had some incidents of crashes and some were allegedly due to poor maintenance :ooh:

2. I also plan on doing a CFI course for the Cessna - 172 for which the cost is 6500 $. Which adds about 68 hours. Is it worth it? and Is CFI or CFII better? Or do i do both?

3.The cost for the course is about 35750 $ subjected to change with respect to cost of ATF. The number of hours i get are 282. When compared to other schools this seems very cheap. Is this any good? Or will there be any hidden charges?

4.After the course, Do i have to convert my FAA CPL to DGCA CPL? If so, how much will that cost? And how do i go about it?

5. Someone told me that there are lots of Unemployed experienced pilots in India. Is there a over supply of pilots? Is there any job opportunities for new ones?

6. What is the minimum number of flight hours required for being employed? What is the number in India?

7. Is it worth going for an extra type rating programme?

I am really very confused :confused:

Some advice would be appreciated very much.

Thanks for your answers and I'm deeply sorry if i've made any mistakes.

Thanks again.

cyrilroy21
16th May 2013, 18:39
Hi Vasanth

Before heading anywhere read this news article carefully

Pilot job dreams crash as aviation suffers - Hindustan Times (http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-Feed/SectorsAviation/Pilot-job-dreams-crash-as-aviation-suffers/Article1-1005887.aspx)

There is an estimated 7000 unemployed Pilots in India and this keeps rising day by day
Its obvious that unless the cost of oil comes down and the govt makes some radical reforms to the aviation industry a majority of these pilots will probably never fly again

Please also remember that a CPL is just a license . Its not equivalent to a College Degree
So if you go straight after 12th std and get the CPL ... when people ask you your educational qualification you have tell them that you are only high school pass

Many CPL holders are finding it difficult to find jobs outside aviation due to lack of a college degree

Yes you have to convert the FAA license to an Indian DGCA license . For that procedure have a look here
Dont forget the Indian DGCA requires you to have Maths and Physics in 10+2

http://www.dgca.nic.in/circular/FCL1_2012.pdf

You need to budget atleast 50-60 lakh rupees before you can start getting paid since every employer in India expects you to pay for your type rating or be already type rated

From reading the above news article you will be able to get a feel of what its like to for present CPL holders in India

Bottom Line . Dont go for CPL . Go to college instead and get your degree and focus on another career until things turn around in Indian Aviation

TheBigD
16th May 2013, 20:26
Listen to what the Indian CPL holders are telling you. You are young; get your college degree first. You will still be 21 or 22 when or if you decide to start with you flight training.
If you get you CFI/CFII - good luck finding a job. You will be hard pressed to work for a US flight school without a green card.
Ton of Indian CPL holders with 250 hours out there unemployed and in debt. Go to school; maybe just get your PPL see if you enjoy it and then pursue aviation after you have gotten a good degree. Remember, if you get furloughed, lose your medical etc. you will need something to fall back on.
And in my humble opinion, I would stay away from flight schools that just cater to foreign students....