PDA

View Full Version : It's official, the US are not going to build a Death Star

NutLoose
15th May 2013, 21:26
It seems the Administration does not support blowing up planets, and the cost would make anyone but the MOD wince

$850,000,000,000,000,000

More details

Petition to Build Death Star Prompts Hilarious Response from White House (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/White-House-Petition-Death-Star,20431.html)

Martin the Martian
15th May 2013, 21:28
Whew. That's a relief to have that weight off my mind.

Evalu8ter
15th May 2013, 21:55
BAES are gutted at losing the opportunity to bid 'cost plus' on that one....

racedo
15th May 2013, 22:28
They are but sending the message they are not so as to confuse people..........

Unless they are not but trying to give their enemies the impression that they are to confuse them.

Buster Hyman
15th May 2013, 22:39
Hillary Clinton said the whole concept of this administration doing such a thing was laughable & had no basis in fact!

http://egamer.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/hillary_vader2.jpg

West Coast
15th May 2013, 23:34
I always suspected she was Luke's father.

RileyDove
16th May 2013, 20:11
What would they want another one for anyway ...damn the secret's out now!

Courtney Mil
16th May 2013, 21:05
More to point, the denial is purely proof of their intent to build it. Scunkworks must be in overdrive. Personally, I think it's an entirely sensible policy, but I can confirm that BAEs have not been included as a sub-contractor this time.

Courtney Mil
16th May 2013, 21:07
Oh, sorry RileyDove. The first one was taken out by Chinese air defence systems. Apparently the fibre mat stealth coating wasn't up to it. Either that or it was taken over by Ewoks.

NutLoose
16th May 2013, 21:49
I heard BAe lost out because they were proposing to run the whole thing on one PC with Windows ME on it, utilising the computer systems they had left over from the AEW Nimrod project

Lima Juliet
16th May 2013, 21:58
I saw it when I visited Groom Lake. I even saw Elvis there...

http://riotousliving.com/media/2011/03/disco-stormtrooper.jpg

:}

Courtney Mil
16th May 2013, 22:07
Leon,

yours was the first post in this thread that I actually believed.

NutLoose
16th May 2013, 22:53
Ahhh Storm Troopers, the only people that could ever hit anything with a modified Sterling SMG..... Which is the weapon they use in the films and the guy is holding I believe.

Courtney Mil
16th May 2013, 22:55
No, it looks like an Imperial pulse weapon of some sort to me.

Buster Hyman
16th May 2013, 22:57
...certainly has an in-built thrust capacitor by the looks of it...

Rhino power
16th May 2013, 23:02
I wonder if 'DeathStarfan' will be along shortly with a million links and cut & paste internet articles to show just how utterly wonderful this Death Star the US isn't going build is going to be..? :}

-RP

NutLoose
16th May 2013, 23:08
Yup Sterlings :)

The other weapons they used were an MG 34 and a Lewis Gun.

Courtney Mil
17th May 2013, 06:22
Rhino Power. :D:D:D:D

CoffmanStarter
17th May 2013, 06:58
Courtney @#8 ... au contraire ... I understand BAe have been selected to design the Death Star Thermal Exhaust Port given their capability in managing "Hot Air" ... Let's hope their new design is superior to the Mk1 version :E

Wander00
17th May 2013, 09:35
Aah, the Sterling - remember OC Admin at B.......k being handed one by the (to be) Scottish Gp Capt, then a wg cdr leading the STO team, and being asked to disassemble and reassemble it. OC Admin looked at it, frowned, and then, because I had only recently transferred from TA to RAF Regular, suggested I might have better luck. Grumpy look from SGC (to be) who remembered me from Cranditz days. Funny, that Pt 1 had a repeat performance a few weeks later.

Mach Two
17th May 2013, 16:37
Nutty,

It's all been discredited. Air Power Australia have conducted a study and have found the following issues:

The technology is immature and cannot be relied upon to deliver.

Lockheed Martin as the prime contractor intend to repeat their process of concurrent design and production, meaning that the ten prototypes will be of such a low standard they could never be upgraded to the level of the single production model.

Partner nations are unable to choose between EMALS, cat and trap or STOVL systems for the embarked Tie Fighters and the cost of a later conversion between systems is likely to exceed current budget availability.

As the earliest FOC estimate is 2509, without accounting for the effects of sequestration, it is expected that current stealth technology will be ineffective against future Star Fleet sensors.

South Korea and Israel cannot decide between the Death Star and Apollo 11 as their chosen vehicle for future space power projection.

The UK wants it's own version at no extra cost.

They were unable to identify a realistic alien threat, although they admitted that they did not have access to Area 51 documentation.

The most conservative estimate for building Darth Vader's helmet is 60,000,000 Altarian Dollars and they anticipate insurmoutable technical difficulties in interfacing with the 20 descrete appature sensors.

The materials to build and launch the first prototype would decrease the mass of the Earth by 23%, sufficient to cause an orbital decay that would eradicate life on Earth before FOC.

I'm not sure the project will go ahead.

CoffmanStarter
17th May 2013, 16:53
Mach Two ... Now you've gone and done it ... DeathStarFan will be along shortly for sure :}

Suggest we kick off the technical debate with a ludicrous diagram ... this one supplied by BAe who are a Sub-Contractor to LM on the project :E

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/ScreenShot2013-05-17at175632_zps8592c765.png

NutLoose
17th May 2013, 17:21
Can't wait for the "roll out"

Lonewolf_50
17th May 2013, 17:56
The reason they aren't going ahead with that is that the Milestone 1.0 Critical Design Review ended in a dead lock.

The prime would not budge on using the Thales versus Goodrich pitot tubes, and the dispute among the test pilots over using FBW versus retro rocket control never got out of the Working Group.

Expect another RFP in about five years time, with Sikorsky entering as a prime instead of a sub.

Courtney Mil
17th May 2013, 17:58
Coff, do you have a link for that?

CoffmanStarter
17th May 2013, 18:09
Just for fun you know Courtney :ok:

Star Wars Wiki Death Star (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star_prototype)

The Force Net Technical (http://www.theforce.net/swtc/ds/ruction.html)

Standing by for some mega leg pulling :D

Courtney Mil
17th May 2013, 20:09
Genral Bogran said, "We have faced a number of engineering and technical challenges, but we have a design that will take us forward into the next century and many beyond with cutting edge, world changing science that will prove to be world beating. We have a proven 6:1 kill ratio against earlier generation Death Stars, proven in our advanced simulations."

CoffmanStarter
17th May 2013, 20:41
Hang on a mo ... that sounds too much like a Lockheed Martin "pitch" :uhoh: