View Full Version : National Geo....Air Force PJ's In Afghanistan

SASless
15th May 2013, 01:58
This nine minute video bears watching....actually should be made mandatory viewing for everyone.

It is hard to watch....be warned.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4621926754257

500N
15th May 2013, 03:26
SaS

Do you have another link like youtube as for some reason
my computer won't let me see it on facebook.

Nervous SLF
15th May 2013, 03:52
You might like to start here ?

Inside Combat Rescue - Episode 1 - YouTube

500N
15th May 2013, 04:11
Nervous

Thanks

WannabeCrewman
15th May 2013, 05:31
Watched the series; dont get me wrong, there ARE some cringeworthy moments, however in equal measure some tense, visceral scenes that do have you leaning towards the screen. You do get hints of it being a bit of a USAF recruitment coo.

I asked an infantry mate who was on Herrick 10 what they (PJs/Pedro c/s) were like. His response was a classic;

"Those Pedro guys are crazy as f*ck - brilliant - but crazy. Never seen flying like it. Comforting to know they are knocking around"

tartare
15th May 2013, 06:02
What are the masks the pilots are wearing - oxygen?

WannabeCrewman
15th May 2013, 06:26
Its a face-shield made by Gentex, called the "Maxillofacial Shield".

GENTEX Corporation - HGU-56/P & 84/P (http://www.gentexcorp.com/default.aspx?pageid=2922)

Designed to protect you from rotorwash, flying debris and windblast, and a bit of ballistic protection from fragmentation. Main point is, it looks pretty cool.

Comes complete with crap Darth Vader impressions.

orgASMic
15th May 2013, 10:29
All 6 episodes of Inside Combat Rescue are on YouTube and are excellent viewing.
I worked with some PJs and a USAF CCT in the early days of our latest Afghan adventure. They were crazy, mad keen and extremely brave. One made a parachute jump into a known minefield to get to a patrol that was badly beaten up and he saved a couple of lives that day. Their motto is "That others might live". :D

just another jocky
15th May 2013, 10:39
Thanks for pointing this out SASless and for the link Nervous.

Stewsan
15th May 2013, 11:59
I never thought of looking at You Yube for military video's but should have known. An old buddy of mine's kid is in the video and the last time I saw him, he was about 5 years old and bouncing on my knee. Hard to believe he's a hot helicopter pilot over there,but I was aware with the Xmas photos. However misguided the US government is in whatever they are doing, those boys have my admiration. When I think of sitting back in the easy seat I have, compared to the daily stress they must be enduring, I can't imagine. Thanks again for sharing that link! I just emailed his Dad in case he wasn't aware of this. Thanks!!

Stitchbitch
15th May 2013, 12:05
WBC there was something similar for the new UK rotary rear crew helmet, but wether this left the testing stage is anyones guess...

2close
15th May 2013, 15:00
I read a lengthy article on PJ selection a short while back and all I can say is 'phew!'.

They really do seem to take only the best of the best of the best.....with honours!

Kamikaze missions had better odds of survival than half the jobs these guys do :eek:; they are real nails.

But as the 9 minute clip shows (and I haven't had time to watch the series yet) they are most definitely very human.

Massive respect, guys.

Door Slider
15th May 2013, 15:27
WBC there was something similar for the new UK rotary rear crew helmet, but wether this left the testing stage is anyones guess...

It certainly did, British RW rearcrew are using it in theatre now.

RAFEngO74to09
15th May 2013, 16:36
I watched the entire series on TV when it first came out.

A great bunch of guys doing an outstanding job with a machine that is clearly more suited size-wise to CSAR recovery of 1-2 aircrew than battlefield extraction and en-route stabilization of several casualties.

It was interesting to compare the US philosophy with the UK's MERT concept - which takes the ER to the casualty in a Chinook - which is now being studied by the USAF: Bastion Medical Visit 25.04.13 - YouTube

I wonder if the USAF still wishes it had the MH-53J Pave Low which was an awesome machine retired in 2008.

The replacement - CSAR-X - was subsequently cancelled.

Most manufacturers didn't submit bids in the later CRH competition: CSAR-X to CRH -- Then There Was One (http://www.aviationweek.com/blogs.aspx?plckblogid=blog:27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckpostid=blog%3A27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7post%3A1b142d10-e0a8-4d0e-a221-3da1c409e6d1)

Perhaps if the USAF decides to adopt the MERT concept, requiring a larger helicopter, there might be a chance of adding to the USMC buy of CH-53K and incorporating a Pave Low capability (just my idea !).

For anyone who is interested, most of the full episodes are on You Tube at the links below - around 45 minutes each.

Ep 1: Inside Combat Rescue -Part 1- Whatever It Takes - YouTube

Ep 2: [HD] Inside Combat Rescue - Episode 2 - YouTube

Ep 3: National Geographic: Inside Combat Rescue -Into the Fire- Episode 3 - YouTube

Ep 4: inside combat rescue episode 4 720p - YouTube

Ep 5: [HD] Inside Combat Rescue - Episode 5 - YouTube

Ep 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9SpEn73LVg

West Coast
15th May 2013, 16:40
How very young they are.

Tashengurt
15th May 2013, 18:20
West coast, I thought the very same thing. The curse of age I guess.
Of course their age belies their skill and bravery.
Those who put themselves in harms way to save others are always inspiring.
Looking forward to watching those episodes!

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

West Coast
15th May 2013, 19:11
Tash

How very true. Only in my 40's yet those days seem a life time ago. I had to chuckle at the antics of the lads as they sat around waiting for the call, for those are the memories and the friends they will have forever. It brought back memories of doing much the same in my overseas vacations. I remember waking up next to a runway in Mogidishu, inside my sleeping bag, taped to my cot, wondering just how the hell I got there. My buddies to date still won't tell me.

Yes, alcohol was involved. No, my ass didn't hurt!

racedo
15th May 2013, 22:33
West Coast

They your buddies.......................:mad: hate to see what happens if you had pissed them off.....

500N
15th May 2013, 22:35
They would have left him behind :O

WannabeCrewman
15th May 2013, 23:18
Some of the bars around Hurlburt Field enjoy having PJs/CROs as their regulars.

Apparently they do a good line in acting as bouncers and handling troublesome customers, but with the added bonus that they can generally stitch up any damage done afterwards! ;)

SASless
16th May 2013, 00:15
Westie.....good thing the Statute of Limitations on that Alcohol Consumption in Moga has run out!

I was a very popular fellow as I had free access to the French PX....and their Beer Stash. I also filched an Ice Maker, AirCons, Pressure Washers,a Hydraulic Mule and APU Combo....along with a UN Toyota 4WD.

It was a Scrounger's Paradise!

West Coast
16th May 2013, 02:12
You weren't by chance flying the N registered Kingair out of Mog that no one knew exactly what they did or where it went?

The airport was quite the little UN. The Italians invited us over for dinner often. The Aussie C-130 did beer runs. We'd give them cash on the way out, a few days later they'd drop the ramp and hand out our beer. The Kiwi's with their HS-748's were pretty hard partyiers.

Ahh, good times.

SASless
16th May 2013, 03:22
Ours was so secret even we did not know what we were doing!

Actually, I was there with a small British Helicopter Company flying Bell 212's working for the UN....we got there in time to see the Western Military leave to be replaced by other non-Western forces.

I can only guess it was something I said that caused them to pack up and leave!

There were some other aircraft not there that I don't know about but the only King Air that I saw with any regularity was one that was contracted to Feed the Children or some such charity.

We lived on the north end of the airfield over by the Port Road where the big pile of pushed up Airframes were....in a Porta Cabin camp built atop a cesspit. Can you say "Flies"?

West Coast
16th May 2013, 04:24
Yup, I know exactly where you were encamped, I used to climb in the C-160's parked there. Same for the Migs till I was told the seats weren't pinned. Wish I knew how to post pics, have a bunch that would bring back memories for you.

melmothtw
17th May 2013, 12:23
http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u613/Melmothtw/facemask_zps9e62e0ba.jpg

Yep, those face masks certainly do look the part....

racedo
17th May 2013, 18:27
Yep, those face masks certainly do look the part....

Er that was before face mask was put on..............