PDA

View Full Version : Working using an NPPL(M)?

garethsshaw
13th May 2013, 16:48
Ok, before I get shot down... my flight instructor said there are places where you 'work' as a pilot but they don't pay you. You get free accomodation, food and flights but nothing for your time so in theory you don't need an instructor rating or a CPL.

Anyone know about these or what is the minimum I need to achieve to 'work', honestly being paid isn't the goal, getting out of the country and flying is... I'm looking to upgrade to an NPPL(SSEA) then LAPL or EASA PPL if that's necessary.

Any thoughts?

G-F0RC3
14th May 2013, 15:57
I've never heard of this Gareth, and if I'm being honest it sounds flawed. Whether you are making money or not doesn't seem to change that any flying you did "for nothing" is for commercial gain of someone, and therefore is for commercial purposes. I'm no expert, but that's my take on the rules, and this would make it illegal with your license.

clvf88
14th May 2013, 16:05
I think there are 'jobs' you can do with just a PPL, but I'm fairly sure if you are receiving free accommodation, food... would count as remuneration and such not be allowed.

Besides, given the number of CPL/IR holders out there looking for some flying work I cannot see why anybody would even consider using a PPL holder, unless its a personal contact.

Whiskey Bravo
14th May 2013, 16:29
Hmmmm.... I think the 'N' makes your plan immediately restrictive, without even going into what aerial work you might be able to do with a full PPL, which is basically none.

The National Private Pilots License I though restricted flying to UK registered aircraft within UK airspace, so "out of the country" would be fairly restricted. I'm sure there are places abroad where you could fly somehow on an NPPL but I expect it is a short list!