PDA

View Full Version : If given the chance..

clicker
13th May 2013, 14:25
If you were given the chance what aircraft would you like to fly and did you ever get to fly it/them.

Myself never got the chance to fly at all but would list three types.

For world travel etc it would be the Lockheed Constellation, I prefer the longer versions but fell in love with the preserved MAC L-749 that visited the UK a few years ago. I love large piston aircraft having been lucky enough to see them flying in real life. Only "moving" Connie I saw was in San Juan back in the 80's. Grumbling, smoking engines, squeaking brakes...Lovely. Did see a few Connies in the UK but not flying :{ Later that trip visited what was known as corrosion corner at Miami that was full of piston aircraft, great!

For sheer power and pure grunt then give me a Phantom please. I was very lucky lad on the 15 Sept 1990 when myself and a friend visited Wattisham to see the Tombs for the 50th BoB anniversary flypast. Still have a copy of the op order that enterprising folks at Honington were selling when we went to see the Tonkas

For lovely lines and delightful handling a Spitfire V or IX, oh boy would loved to have flown one. Even tried to get a flight in one of the 2 seaters but never got there as the only one that could be used was in the states as the CAA rules about hire and reward meant no joy for the ones here.

Herod
13th May 2013, 15:36
The Gnat, because it would have meant going onto jets post-JP. Wasn't up to it, so was sent to choppers instead. Having said that, and having flown my fair selection of military and civil hardware, both fixed- and rotary-, I'm not complaining.

Ken Scott
13th May 2013, 16:18
Clicker,

If your pockets are deep enough then you can fly a Spitfire in the UK:

LEARN TO FLY A SPITFIRE (http://www.goodwood.co.uk/experiences/experiences/learn-to-fly-a-spitfire.aspx)

Can't help with the Connie or the Phantom - although I remember seeing an F4 at Dulles circa 20 years ago which was supposed to be someone's private jet.

barnstormer1968
13th May 2013, 16:38
I would love to get flights in:
Later mark Spitfire
SR71
And
Super jolly or sea stallion

(As a passenger or course in them all)

NutLoose
13th May 2013, 16:51
Yup and regs about Spits are being looked at with a view to allowing fare paying trips..

As for the Connie....

Well BA park up their old fleet at Cosford the scrap them en masse claiming to expensive to look after..
Lufthansa buy three old Connies sitting in the desert, build a $3,000,000 hangar and go about rebuilding one completely to fly as a historic aircraft to join the JU 52 fleet they operate ( and you can fly in )

SO.... Your chances have just improved on that score :ok:

See

Stages on the road to restoration | Deutsche Lufthansa Berlin Stiftung (http://www.dlbs.de/en/Projects/Lockheed-Superstar/News.php)

Rare plane to fly again with help from Bangor company ? Bangor Daily News ? BDN Maine (http://bangordailynews.com/2012/09/26/the-weekly/rare-plane-to-fly-again-with-help-from-bangor-company/)

Makes you wonder how Lufty can do stuff like this when BA couldn't even look after what was their heritage collection..

As for the F4... Well you can always go fly the sim...See

Commercial & Military Flight Simulators (http://www.realsimulation.co.uk/f4-flight-simulator-experience.php)

Or if you have $12.5 k lying about the real thing, see

McDonnell F-4D Phantom II - The Collings Foundation (http://www.collingsfoundation.org/tx_f-4dphantom_training.htm)

CoffmanStarter
13th May 2013, 16:55
Clicker you want to fly in the F4(D) ? Got $12,500 (£8K) then it's all yours :eek:

Collings Foundation USA (http://www.collingsfoundation.org/tx_f-4dphantom_training.htm)

http://www.warbirdalley.com/images/F4rnd-01.jpg

Bring back some pics ...

Coff.

NutLoose
13th May 2013, 17:05
Nine minutes too slow :p

gayford
13th May 2013, 17:06
As a very young ATCO at Eastern Radar in 1968, regularly manning Console 4A (Wattisham Centralised Approach Control), I was given the opportunity to appreciate the Lightning pilot's workload with a familiarisation flight. All these years later I am still gobsmacked by the way the "ace fighter pilot" managed to fly the aircraft, operate the very basic radar and constantly watch the fuel contents. In my limited experience, those were the some of the best times for aviation in the Royal Air Force.

CoffmanStarter
13th May 2013, 17:07
My WiFi went down ... Bu99er :uhoh:

Never mind Nutty ... great minds and all that ... plus Clicker is a regular CapComper :ok:

500N
13th May 2013, 17:11
Would like to go in:-

Spitfire
Mosquito
Lancaster

Low level in a Tornado
F15 or F18 from a carrier
SR71
U2

Courtney Mil
13th May 2013, 17:14
SR71
Concorde
Catalina

Roland Pulfrew
13th May 2013, 17:25
F15 or F16 from a carrier

Would have to have one hell of a long flight deck!!

For me:

Sunderland
Beaufighter
TSR2

And no, sadly I haven't!

advocatusDIABOLI
13th May 2013, 17:28
550N,

F16 from a Carrier...... WOW that would be a Trip! :eek:

Courtney Mil, if memory serves, you once tried SR71 Parameters in one of her Majesties Finest..... or was it the other bloke? (Cummon!!, we all did... a bit....)

Advo

AR1
13th May 2013, 17:28
Harrier. From a hide.

RetiredF4
13th May 2013, 17:32
Flew the phantom for years and could sea the world get round at FL550, but unfortunately never got higher.

My dream therefore would be some spacecraft, anything that brings me into orbit and back would do.
franzl

Courtney Mil
13th May 2013, 17:36
Yeah, especially the "bring me back" bit. :ok:

advocatusDIABOLI
13th May 2013, 17:36
For The Record My Choices:

F86 Sabre (Since my Late Dad flew them)
P51
SU27
Wright Flier ( Just How Scary would that be? :})

Advo

Gemini Twin
13th May 2013, 17:38
Strega or Rare Bear, the ultimate in piston powered aircraft!:ok:

advocatusDIABOLI
13th May 2013, 17:40
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but how high, how fast?...... Obviously not aimed at getting serving folks in Whinny The Pooh.....

Me - M2.1 58K F3 (Tonka, Non Bombing Version)

Advo

NutLoose
13th May 2013, 17:42
Quote:
F15 or F16 from a carrier
Would have to have one hell of a long flight deck!!

For me:

Sunderland
Beaufighter
TSR2

And no, sadly I haven't!

Sunderland would be nice, used to watch the last flyer droning over St Athans whilst on my Mechs course and saw it many a time at displays, I suppose one is lucky as today's generations haven't seen anything like it, probably why the Vulcan was such a hit, because today's audience have never seen or heard anything like it and its size belies its manoeuvrability, something you wouldn't realise without seeing it fly.

TSR2 is another I would have loved to have seen fly.

BEagle
13th May 2013, 17:52
SR71
NF-104
TSR2

hunterboy
13th May 2013, 17:57
Vulcan low level, Mig 25, X-15, U-2 at the edge of space...

Courtney Mil
13th May 2013, 18:02
Courtney Mil, if memory serves, you once tried SR71 Parameters in one of her Majesties Finest..... or was it the other bloke? (Cummon!!, we all did... a bit....)

Ah, yes. Fair cop. But it wasn't a ride I'd recommend to anyone.

Fg Off Bloggs
13th May 2013, 18:15
Was selected Nav at OASC which Scotched any chance of getting on board a Lightning. However, when my own jet was grounded for 6 months, Gp came up with a detachment plan that would keep us all flying during the grounding. So, having been asked where I would like to fly, I opted for Binbrook to fly in the Lightning and was sent a detachment notice confirming it.

Unfortunately or fortunately, on the Friday before my move to Lincs, a rather pompous Lightning sqn ldr rang me to ask what time I planned to be there on Monday. I told him and let drop that I was really looking forward to flying in the Lightning!

'No bl**dy way, mate, you're coming here to do all the SLJs we have piled up, we need an extra pair of hands! You will not fly whilst at Binbrook!'

I went straight to my Boss who cancelled my detachment immediately - so the pompous ass had to do his own SLJs and my boyhood dream remained unfulfilled!

So LIGHTNING!

Made up for it though as a locum member of the AAFCE TACEVAL Team in the 80s getting to fly in: USAF F4; RDAF Starfighter; GAF Alphajet; Belgian Mirage; Italian Tornado GR1 and Dutch F-16 (which was pretty good at a vertical climb off the runway too)!!!

Bloggs:\

advocatusDIABOLI
13th May 2013, 18:19
Courtney Mil,

OK, Nice one, well stated. Yes it was 'Out There', but as you might recall, at the time the Bomber Interceptor had such a bad reputation, and it had to be repudiated.

Some, sadly fell foul of what might be (at the time) reasonable.

Shame really, because she was ok, so long as she was 'cooking'.

You and I both know the true F3 height holder..... and their achievement is quite astonishing !! :D (If not a bit rule break-y- ish)

Advo

clicker
13th May 2013, 18:25
Alas the pockets are somewhat shallow so the best would be FSX.

If only for that Goodwood course might be able to afford an hour or so on the Chippie. Noticed that the lot with the Havard at Shoreham want 400 squid for 30 mins. The Chippie at Shoreham is less than half of that.

clicker
13th May 2013, 18:33
I was going to ask BEagle why the NF-104, then I googled it. :cool:

N.HEALD
13th May 2013, 20:03
Dream list would be:-

1. Hawker Tempest II
2. Lockheed SR71
3. BAC Lightning

Wholigan
13th May 2013, 20:06
For me ..................

Spitfire
Mosquito
Dakota

Tourist
13th May 2013, 20:40
Stupid question fom me....

Why is the rocket on the NF-104 angled upwards?

Lonewolf_50
13th May 2013, 20:53
Hmmm ... only in my dreams ...

Sopwith Camel

P-51 Mustang

F-4U Corsair

Phantom

F-15

RAH-66 Comanche

barnstormer1968
13th May 2013, 20:56
Courtney Mil
I did fly the Concorde sim at Filton. It was a fantastic experience, even if it was not the real thing.

Plastic Bonsai
13th May 2013, 21:37
Buccaneer, Mosquito and Hawker Fury for the honour.

NutLoose
13th May 2013, 22:00
ISS
Saturn V
Lunar Lander

And there are a few folks I would like to see flying on the Voyager 6 as it's not coming back anytime soon ;)

matkat
13th May 2013, 23:13
In no particular order.
Buccaneer, low level over the Nellis range and yes have saw the film whilst I was there.
Phantom, from Leuchars of course:ok:
And the U2.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
14th May 2013, 00:03
Wish-list Ticks to get

Mossie (on the deck over occupied Europe, so that ain't gonna happen)
X-15
Spitfire

Ticks (tho' not as elegant or as long a tick as many here)
F3 supersonic over some boat driver's foredeck ("he asked! honest!")
backwards in a Harrier
Tiger Moth (with a leather helmet & no radio over rural England -could have been 1935)

Stick time
Lightning (10minutes pole time, on attachment 1 week after solo in the Bulldog - mindbending!)
F-15
E-3A (oh boy it's big, like flying a whale)

Realistically
I want to fly some plane, probably a Beaver, into the middle of nowhere on wheels, skis and floats - I'm working on it!

clicker
14th May 2013, 01:01
Tourist,

I can only take a guess here as my only aviation "real life" was in airline ops.

Looking at the google page it says

"The NF-104A was able to reach great altitudes through a combination of zoom climbing (trading speed for altitude) and use of the rocket engine. A typical mission involved a level acceleration at 35,000 ft (11,000 m) to Mach 1.9 where the rocket engine would be ignited, and on reaching Mach 2.1 the aircraft would be pitched up to a climb angle of 50-70° by carefully applying a load equal to 3.5 g."

So could that installation angle help to gain the AoA required for the zoom climb and speed, rather like a rocker elevator?

sisemen
14th May 2013, 01:28
Vulcan ✔ x 6
Victor ✔ x 1
Lancaster ✔ x 1

Very big cheesy grin :}

54Phan
14th May 2013, 04:00
.,Well, I will limit it to three; Phantom intercepting the comrades, Mosquito at low level shutting down both Luftwaffe flying training and trains and finally the prototype Hurricane changing the face of RAF fighter tactics forever.

AGS Man
14th May 2013, 05:27
Concorde... Achieved (Passenger)
Phantom... Achieved (Passenger)
Space Shuttle... no chance

AR1
14th May 2013, 06:11
I googled NF104 too. - Slight thread variance, but I loved this quote that came up.
To err is human, to forgive is divine; neither of which is Air Force policy. -Unknown

ian16th
14th May 2013, 07:20
Clicker,

I love large piston aircraft having been lucky enough to see them flying in real life.

You would have loved the Beverley then. :eek:

CoffmanStarter
14th May 2013, 07:43
X-15
P-51
Vulcan B2

If only :(

Trim Stab
14th May 2013, 07:50
If you were given the chance what aircraft would you like to fly

Absolutely anything I haven't flown...

Party Animal
14th May 2013, 08:05
Trim Stab - you are so right :ok:

In my case, this includes:

Hot Air Baloon (tried a couple of times but weather was OOL).

Glider.

Any super carrier fixed wing with a cat launch and trap.

Ralis
14th May 2013, 08:56
Mossie
B29
Mig 29

FoxtrotAlpha18
14th May 2013, 10:29
YF-23
Mustang or Spit
Catalina
:ok:

My best = ~44K, M1.83 (down hill with a tailwind!)

Steve the Pirate
14th May 2013, 11:10
Lightning
F16
Thunderbird 1

STP

clicker
14th May 2013, 14:37
I'm old enough to have seen a Beverley fly but if you don't mind I'll stick to the slimmer girls who can curl their legs up. ;)

clicker
14th May 2013, 14:45
Quite a few interesting aircraft mentioned, nice to see the merlin engines are doing well.

Also high or fast flying seems to be popular as well. Highest I've seen was only FL370 on an almost empty DC-8 across the pacific, crew kept asking for FL410 but we were blocked by other traffic. Fastest was across the atlantic with a good tail wind with an average speed 560kts for the whole flight (DC-10-30)

Pontius Navigator
14th May 2013, 16:17
Yes, Sunderland, Lightning, F4, Vulcan, Lancaster - 4 out of 5 :)

fantom
14th May 2013, 16:28
Did Gnat; Hunter and Phantom but, getting old, also A330.

Military mates flying that will now be grinning ear to ear. Phabulous.

Courtney Mil
14th May 2013, 17:38
Why is the rocket on the NF-104 angled upwards?

Here's my guess. The rocket motor is mounted significantly above the longitudinal fuselage datum, in other words the thrust acts above the aircraft's CofG. If mounted parallel to LFD it would cause quite a big derotational moment (a pitch down force). At very high alitude with little or no aerodynamic control it would mean applying a continuous nose up moment using the RCS. THe pitch down effect of the rocket may have exceded the control authority of the RCS. By pointing the thrust line of the rocket through, or closer to the CofG, the problem goes away. Look where the line of thrust is acting here - looks like through the centre of the ac.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4d/NF-104.jpg/450px-NF-104.jpg

If you want to mount a rocket pack below the CofG, you'd need to angle it downwards. In NF-104 I would think that mounting it low would just have been yet another big drag penalty.

Just an idea. I'm surprised one of the QFIs or TPs around here didn't come up with that. Unless, of course, I'm completely wrong. :ouch:

Rosevidney1
14th May 2013, 17:46
Tourist,
The flight manual for the NF-104 states 'The rocket engine nacelle is located at the base of the vertical stabilizer. The rocket engine mounting is canted so that the thrustline will pass through the airplane center of gravity at rocket burn out thus minimising pitching moments due to pitch change'. :8

Courtney Mil
14th May 2013, 17:58
Ah. Smug mode! :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMa0CxgCqiM

This is the firt time a Baldrick's ever come up with a cunning plan that didn't turn out to be utter pig swill.

NutLoose
14th May 2013, 18:05
I would put you all in the mighty Jaguar and give you all a good laugh...

:O

fantom
14th May 2013, 18:48
the mighty Jaguar

Is this the dictionary definition of an oxymoron?

dead_pan
14th May 2013, 19:00
Some Russian kit would be fun: Mig-25, Su-37, Hind, Blackjack, or, if I was feeling particularly brave, one of those Caspian sea monsters.:uhoh:

Mach Two
14th May 2013, 21:08
Mosquito because she's beautiful.

SR-71 because she's a thinderingly powerful beast.

Sunderland Flying Boat because it's such a mad mixture of ship and aircraft.

Justin Cyder-Belvoir
14th May 2013, 23:53
F-14
Apache

For civil hardware the VC-10.

Eclectic
15th May 2013, 05:48
de Havilland Hornet
Aurora
Wright Flyer

alisoncc
15th May 2013, 11:55
A bit iffy about what I would like to fly, but do know for a fact what I never ever want to fly again. BN2A Islander in the tropical sun, with a full load of smelly locals whose bodies have never experienced the application of soap and water. Mind you, I suspect the Islander was one of the few aircraft where it was SOP to hose out the cabin after a longish flight.

clicker
15th May 2013, 14:17
Alisonncc, that could be the start of another thread, aircraft I flew but wished I didn't.

ACW599
15th May 2013, 17:44
>that could be the start of another thread, aircraft I flew but wished I didn't.<

Tiger Moth. A horrible thing in my opinion.

ImageGear
15th May 2013, 18:01
In order:

1. Brit (but not 404), and without the whole cockpit being an overflowing ashtray. Loved every minute

2. Belfast, because it always went low and slow, and the views were superb.

3. C5A just because it's big.

Imagegear

Basil
15th May 2013, 18:07
Hunter, but didn't make FJ.
JP and Bücker Jungmann were fun.

Courtney Mil
15th May 2013, 18:10

Damn you! Now I want to fly it to find out why. :{

CoffmanStarter
15th May 2013, 18:31
ACW599 ...

I had the great pleasure of flying G-ACDC out of Headcorn Kent on my 40th Birthday in 1997 ... including aerobatics ... the Tiger is a wonderful aeroplane in my opinion. But you have to "fly" it ... it's not easy in a cross wind and unless you have some previous tail wheel experience it can be a bit of a handful to start with ... it's not a benign aeroplane like most modern high wing/nose wheel civil light aircraft.

Sorry ACW599 I have to disagree with you ... but it's down to personal preference I guess :ok:

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/images/uploaded-images/2008-12/23/32057.jpg

Courtney ... Price gone up a tad ... But still worth it :ok:

The Tiger Club Headcorn (http://www.tigerclub.co.uk/)

Coff.

Rosevidney1
15th May 2013, 18:41
I would have loved to have flown the Scottish Aviation Pioneer. It looked like an aeronautical joke but I wouldn't be surprised to find it did the job! ;)

India Four Two
15th May 2013, 19:05
My "Stick Time" Bucket List

Chipmunk ✔
Tiger Moth ✔
Beaver ✔
Twin Otter ✔
Yak 52 ✔
Bell 47G ✔
Stearman ✔
Harvard✔
Spitfire ✔
Vampire ✔
Strikemaster/JP
A-37
Macchi MB-326
Hunter
F-4
Mustang
DC-3
Catalina
Skywarrior
Dragon Rapide
Jet Ranger
Huey

Aircraft I NEVER want to fly:

BD-5 - too big now anyway!
ASW-12 - 1960s Open Class glider - a large proportion of the fleet was crashed on landing by new owners on their first flights!

ACW599
15th May 2013, 20:27
>Sorry ACW599 I have to disagree with you ... but it's down to personal preference I guess<

Well, it's a free country. But I'm surprised a Chipmunk man has anything remotely nice to say about the Tiger Moth!

I did a few trips in one many moons ago and thought the overall handling rather peculiar with essentially non-existent control harmony. Ground handling was a pain too. Compared with a Chipmunk (on which I was current at the time) it was dreadful. But maybe the one I flew was past its best.

Steve the Pirate
15th May 2013, 23:04
ACW you hated it and Coff loved it. Notice however that Coff flew ACDC, so it could have gone either way. :E

STP

CoffmanStarter
16th May 2013, 06:46
Now now Steve ! I'm definitely a Direct Current kind of guy ... :E

Tourist
16th May 2013, 07:06
Thanks CM, that makes sense, should have thought of that myself!

ACW599
16th May 2013, 09:00
>ACW you hated it and Coff loved it. Notice however that Coff flew ACDC, so it could have gone either way.<

And I'm strictly butter-side up :)

Madbob
16th May 2013, 09:36
Types I would have liked to have flown would be;

1. Short Stirling - just because my dad did and to share in a little way his own experience.

2. DHC Beaver - because I like the appeal of a radial-engine tail dragger, especially if being used in its AAC role exploiting its STOL capabilities.

3. Canberra B(I)8 - only as a pilot mind as the poor nav had no bang seat.:eek: As a low level interdictor with a massive gun pack and an internal bomb bay doing LABS it must have been fun. Not so sure about doing all this stuff at night, but must have been fun. It also had the legs to go to interesting places.......

The worst type I had the misfortune to fly was the Jetstream so I am with Beagle on that!

MB