PDA

View Full Version : Loss statistics

Davaar
13th May 2013, 12:12
Just rereading "Meteor Eject!" by John Graham (Nick) Carter, Woodfield Publishing, 2000, ISBN 1 -873203-65-9.

Before the Introduction the fly-leaf gives a dedication to "the 434 RAF pilots and 10 navigators who lost their lives flying the Gloster Meteor".

Does anyone know where to find analogous statistics for the d H. Vampire, various models?

Dockers
13th May 2013, 12:42
you could look here: UK Serials (http://www.ukserials.com/)

Losses are tabulated under losses and then can be read by type

Old-Duffer
13th May 2013, 13:22
There are several books which are available and which give, not just the stats but also summaries of the losses.

One of these books is called: Broken Wings" and it is published by Air Britain. It provides a one line entry for each aircraft written off and shows the number of fatal casualties. For general stats and details of total losses and casulaties by year it is very valuable. It also has an index of types and serial number.

However, there is another series of books which provide rather more detail about the losses and also names the casualties. If you PM me, I can give you a steer but as I must declare an interest, I can say no more in open forum without a hefty smack from the Mods.

Old Duffer

Davaar
13th May 2013, 13:47
Thank you to all.

Old, I have to clear my PM valise later today, but I shall do that and take up your kind offer