PDA

View Full Version : Freight Aeroplane locked down in HBA with "white powder" found aboard.

Eastwest Loco
13th May 2013, 11:51
Anyone have any more info on this?

No mention of carrier. No mention of aeroplane type.

I guess freight can't provide an hysterical passenger to stick a micropone in front of.

David Beniuk

May 13, 2013 9:22pm

THE Australian Federal Police is investigating a white powder found on a plane in Hobart.

The Australian Federal Police says it is investigating the incident, which unfolded on Monday evening.

A forensics officer from Tasmanian Police has been asked to analyse the substance.

As well as the AFP and Tasmania Police, aviation rescue, the fire brigade and the ambulance service attended the scene.

"The AFP is making further inquiries into the incident," a spokesperson said.

"Further details will be released as they come to hand.

"As this is an ongoing matter, it would not be appropriate for the AFP to comment further."

Police told the ABC there had been no injuries as a result of exposure to the powder.

Air services in and out of Hobart were not affected.

Hmmmm

May have just been dust to try to knock down NQ cockies!:uhoh:

Best all

EWL

Rotor Work
13th May 2013, 12:15
From ABC NEWS

TOLL'S VH-UZW

White powder scare - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-13/white-powder-found-on-plane/4686886?section=tas)

Fire crews were called to Hobart Airport when an unidentified white powder was found on a cargo plane.
Tasmania Police sent a forensics officer to the airport and they examined the plane and took samples of the powder.
There were reports four people were exposed to the material and later required decontamination but police said no-one was injured.
An ambulance remained on standby for several hours.
Passenger services in and out of Hobart Airport were not affected.

Wonder if it is plane or self raising;)
Regards R W

1a sound asleep
13th May 2013, 12:30
Toll metroliner VH-UZW

Fantome
13th May 2013, 18:55
Is Dan Ruff still one of their pilots? (In Roald Dahl's autobiography there's an hilarious chapter about the Indian, U.N. Savory, that he shared a cabin with. To do with dandruff)

Do they still make Johnson's Baby Powder out of babies?

Ascend Charlie
13th May 2013, 20:09
Oops, they've discovered the secret behind Chemtrails......

falconx
13th May 2013, 20:52
UZW is in Melbourne with John Holland sealed with AFP tape

rutan around
13th May 2013, 21:01
Loco
FFS if you are going to use place name abbreviations PLEASE get it right. HBA is Hervey Bay. You scared the bejesus out of me. I was at HBA on the weekend and I thought they were on to me. I had heaps of white powder on board, albeit as a result of my aging paint job. :{
Try YMHB for Hobart, or at the very least just HB.
Cheers, RA

Runaway Gun
13th May 2013, 21:05
FFS Rutan, if you are going to use initials then please use something else.
For a moment there I thought that Rick Astley was a pilot!
I've never going to give you up.

Gemini Twin
13th May 2013, 21:25
"Wonder if it was plane or self raising".

RW, for take off, always self raising helped in a heavy metroliner.

waren9
13th May 2013, 21:57
hobart is indeed hba. hervey bay is hvb or yhba (icao). hb is a navaid identifier not an airport.

not heard of iata then rutan? and given locos occupation i think he'd know.

ffs indeed

Lancair70
13th May 2013, 22:22
Other than Travel agents and SLF, who uses IATA codes or needs to know them ? After all this is the GA forum, I'm highly unlikely to need to use IATA codes flying a bug smasher around this country

Capt Claret
13th May 2013, 22:47
FFS, IATA is a recognised code, and I for one use the IATA codes where possible in my log book. ;)

ACARS, certainly on our fleet, requires IATA code otherwise the departure & arrival messages don't go nowhere.

Don't worry EW Loco, some of us knew what you were talking about. :ok:

waren9
13th May 2013, 22:53
um, how glib.

most everyone uses them. most of us are slf quite often. they do get bastardised on these 2 forums quite a bit ive noticed.

Loco was referring to an airport hba, not a navaid.

stick to your bugsmashers mate youll be right.

iata codes go in my logbook too

so what was the powder?

Fantome
13th May 2013, 23:17
FFS the colours change like a chameleons. ROYGBIV.

in my day FFS sometimes meant 'FLIGHT FINE, STUPID.'

and EWL was an East-West Airlines F27 'City of Albury'

and in EWL's head there are more designators than most of us have had
hot . . . .. numbers wanting us.

(ps liked what you said elsewhere W9 about flt mgmnt dicks and min fuel.
That mantra of 'it costs fuel to carry fuel' used to piss us right off.)

Mail-man
14th May 2013, 00:11
http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2013/05/14/379135_most-popular-stories.html

Trent 972
14th May 2013, 01:34
What I've learned so far...
1. Self raising flour will help a metro fly
2. HBA is Hobart
3.The Federal Police have their own sticky tape.
Who says prune is not educational.

Wally Mk2
14th May 2013, 01:39
Another case of how hysteria has overtaken Aviation. White powder is found & it's hit the panic button!
Oh well I guess Johnstons baby powder will be banned next on the supermarket shelves, we can't be too careful these days!

As for codes.............IATA codes are used everywhere in aviation from pax bag tags to some Co's official paperwork. I think it's pretty obvious that HBA was referring to two headed land:E as mentioned early in the original thread.
Ya gotta Pprune. it's a sure fire way to get people's oil pressure on the rise:)

Once the Feds pull the sticky tape off the airframe there goes the paint !:-)

Wmk2

bdcer
14th May 2013, 01:52
4. Trent is a funny bugger!

Fantome
14th May 2013, 02:05
That he is .. .dry too .. . No doubt keeps his powder that way

YPJT
14th May 2013, 02:11
Love ya stuff Trent 972:ok:

bdcer
14th May 2013, 02:16
Pity his namesake powers such an ugly beast....

Capt Claret
14th May 2013, 02:29
Back in the QLink 146 days, not all that long after Sept 11, a flight left BNE (that's IATA for YBBN which is ICAO) for either ROK (IATA for the ICAO YBRK) or MKY (IATA for the ICAO YBMK), with a gentleman on board who just happened to be from the good ole U.S of A, and who happened to be in New York City on Sept 11.

He was agitated that his breakfast had been served with white powder on top of the bread roll - "ANTHRAX!"

The aircraft sat on the Tarmac at destination, doors closed & pax and crew on board, for some hours whilst the authorities tried to work out how to deal with this dastardly attack. At one point the authorities worked out that the APU aircon was possibly pumping anthrax laden air into the atmosphere, and asked the crew to shut it down. Given the tropical conditions, thankfully sanity prevailed! :hmm:

ChrisJ800
14th May 2013, 03:17
At least they didnt break off the tailplane to stop it taking off like happened in Brazil: Dramatic Video Appears To Show Police In Brazil Stopping Drug Smuggling Plane With Their Car (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/11/police-in-brazil-plane-video-drug-smugglers_n_3260284.html?utm_hp_ref=world)

Cessna 180
14th May 2013, 07:17
I like this thread. It made me laugh.

:)

Capt Fathom
14th May 2013, 07:22
More than likely the white stuff has come from the scones and lamingtons!

The crew shouldn't have known to close the air vents before unwrapping them!

ChrisJ800
14th May 2013, 08:16
6 o'clock news has just announced powder is not dangerous but tas police won't disclose what it is ;)
My guess salt.

STATSMAN
14th May 2013, 17:17
It's Chicken Feed for their warehouse at Cambridge.

I'll get my coat!

Statsman (at EGCC or MAN)

Tankengine
15th May 2013, 08:48
My guess is aluminium corrosion rattled out of the airframe!:E