PDA

View Full Version : Ooops now you see him now you don't, parachute accidental deployment

NutLoose
11th May 2013, 20:35
See

Surprise! Soldier's Parachute Deploys And Sucks Him Out Of Plane - YouTube (http://youtu.be/_30ouXyCNQ4)

He was ok BTW, just had a long walk.

C-130 Hercules
The plane's jumpmaster is looking for the drop zone when his rip cord catches on the ramp, triggering the chute.
As soon as it deploys, the soldier is sucked from what is believed to be a C-130 Hercules, a plane primarily used for military transport.
The paratrooper landed about 50km away from the intended drop zone.
A representative from the 5th Special Forces Group told ninemsn that the soldier was uninjured in the accident.
The representative confirmed the video was recent but could not say exactly when it was filmed.

From
Soldier sucked out of plane when parachute triggered (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2013/05/09/14/45/soldier-sucked-out-of-plane-when-parachute-triggered)

herkman
12th May 2013, 01:24
This is the reason why in 1964, the RAAF stopped Loadmasters wearing chutes when doing paratrooping and Aerial delivery.

I note that by the 70's the USAF too was using harness as the safety medium.

Regards

Col

Always Up
12th May 2013, 10:59
This is the reason why in 1964, the RAAF stopped Loadmasters wearing chutes when doing paratrooping and Aerial delivery.

Regards

Col

Bit harsh just to stop them falling 50km away from the intended drop zone:eek:

dragartist
12th May 2013, 13:48
Loadmaster Issue.wmv - YouTube

Here is another similar incident where the Loadmaster; who had a parachute decided to stay with it.

Now this could not happen in the UK could it?

Do US loadmasters still wear chutes? I know our lot still use the belt round the waist. bad idea in my mind. Irvin were proposing a proper harness before they merged with GQ who made the belt. An even better bit of kit was the jacket the RW guys had (I think it was a Mk60 or 60A with leg straps and the attachment between the shoulder blades)

SASless
12th May 2013, 14:13
There was a time when Loadmasters wearing backpack style chutes and NO Monkey Strap might be taken out the door by a Paratrooper...always by pure accident and happenstance they would swear...the Paratroopers that is.;)

Courtney Mil
12th May 2013, 14:26
OMG. Imagine how easy it would be, then, for the entire crew except, say, the co-pilot to accidentally de dragged out the back. They might need to watch that.

Appologies to a very good friend of mine.

dragartist
12th May 2013, 15:35
Courtney, Must have been late 90s when the RAF got in trouble for the captain leaving the flight deck to do a tandem. I think it was on one of the big ACEs when everyone Airborne went to El Cento for the Autumn. back in time for Christmas. I probably have the press clippings somewhere

TheWizard
12th May 2013, 16:31
I think somebody has just had a sarcasm bypass moment!!:)

Biggus
12th May 2013, 19:35
dragartist,

Not even close....

dragartist
12th May 2013, 19:57
"High Jump for RAF Pilot Who Parachuted with the SAS" - Daily Mail (London), October 15, 1997 | Questia, Your Online Research Library (http://www.questia.com/library/1G1-110764510/high-jump-for-raf-pilot-who-parachuted-with-the-sas)

Well Biggus I know I am getting old but my memory ain't that bad.

Pontius Navigator
12th May 2013, 20:17
drag, I think the sarcasm is that almost everyone knew it had happened and Courtney was writing TIC.

As it happens, the station commanded at Akrotiri before Craig decided that he wanted all five types in his log book on the same day just before he was posted.

He flew in the C130, jumped out the back, was picked up by a SAR Wessex, landed on the beach, climbed into the right seat and flew it back to dispersal. IIRC the Wessex crew opted for a Land Rover return to base.

Courtney Mil
12th May 2013, 21:46
At least he was the only one.

Moving on...