PDA

View Full Version : RAF Little Rissington

Taildraggerman
11th May 2013, 20:27
The bulldozers have moved in on the former CFS.....

pic.twitter.com/8b7ALK7wJs

Stuff
11th May 2013, 20:44
http://pic.twitter.com/8b7ALK7wJs

NutLoose
11th May 2013, 20:51
Farcical isn't it, you have a wonderful airfield like Little Rissington a stones throw from London, nearby road and rail access, but you have the likes of Boris championing banging a new airport in the Thames estuary that as so many good reasons against it as to be plainly daft to proceed.

ShyTorque
11th May 2013, 21:40
A stone's throw? It's about 120 km in a straight line! :confused:

ACW599
11th May 2013, 22:13
>A stone's throw? It's about 120 km in a straight line!<

Little Rissington has nimbies up the yingyang, not to mention the Chipping Norton Set on its doorstep.

PURPLE PITOT
11th May 2013, 22:36
Shame. Great memories of 637 vgs as a staff spacey late 80's.:)

BEagle
11th May 2013, 22:52
...Little Rissington a stones throw from London, nearby road and rail access...

Rissy?

1. It sits on a hill.
2. It has short RWs which cannot be lengthened.
3. Rail access is very limited - just Kingham station on the Cotswold line via. a narrow lane.
4. Road access is poor - A40 is a nightmare west of Oxford and A361 / A429 are cross-country single carriageway roads.
5. Neither M5 nor M40 are readily accessible.
6. They'd never get planning permission.

Are you sure you weren't thinking about Upper Heyford? Close to 2 main railway lines and only 4 miles from M40 Junction 10.

sisemen
12th May 2013, 02:30
They'd never get planning permission.

Might do - provided all the terminals etc were built with suitably aged Cotswold stone and covered in ivy.

BOAC
12th May 2013, 07:23
Wot Beagle says. Nice pubs though.

Tiger_mate
12th May 2013, 07:51
Historically, Blackbushe was the alternate airport for London. Until Stanstead came along. The London Airport expansion plans are fraught with lots of vote losing ideas and the most practical one is to concentrate on Gatwick rather then Heathrow as there is more room to grow in Sussex. However whichever way you look, it is a loose-loose scenario short term. Luton has no room for growth I believe although the population to fill additional jobs is there. Farnborough has nicely tucked away the bizjet corner of the market, and East Midlands is a cargo hub shared to some extent with Manchester.

The optimum if unaffordable solution would be to think long term and build a brand new complex in the Shires linked to the high-speed rail and motorway complex north of the M25 based on an undeveloped but extant airfield such as Bassingbourne that has flat farmland surrounding it and developing towns and cities within commutable distance.

Yellow Sun
12th May 2013, 08:06
Wot Beagle says. Nice pubs though.

Ah, The Fox at Broadwell:)

The problem is that any solution that involves a new site has to be instead of Heathrow rather than in addition to Heathrow. Otherwise the ATC enviroment bcomes akin to having a knife fight in a telephone box.

YS

Exascot
12th May 2013, 08:18
I could never understand why Upper Heyford was not developed as an Airport. You would even be able to go bowling whilst awaiting your jet :ok:

Little Rissy: I concur, great pubs where you can even leave your child behind and they don't mind!

MaximumPete
12th May 2013, 08:43
I wnt for a ride in a Mosquito from Little Rissington when I was in the Air Scouts back in the early/mid sixties before we got all H&S conscious. Brilliant!!

BEagle
12th May 2013, 08:47
I never understand why there are calls to expand the awful travelling experience which is Heathrow....

Notwithstanding its location and congestion, the main issue is access. It is impossible to reach by mainline train, the 'Heathrow Express' only serves Paddington and is absurdly expensive - whereas Frankfurt, Munich and Köln have their own stations on the main DB network. It's about 20% of the cost to reach the centre of Frnakfurt by train compared to London.

The alternative, which again only serves London, is the underground system - a noisy, cramped and deafening experience compared with continental equivalents.

Access by car is no better. Once you're off the M4 or M25, it's a drive to a car park a long way from the terminals (I admit I don't know if it's as bad at T5 as I never travel ba), where the cost is pretty steep. Not too bad inbound, but when you've trudged through T1 to wait in the cold and rain for the car park bus to turn up, then crawl its way around the inner airport congestion, you know you're back in the UK.... If you follow the signposts leaving Thiefrow, you are taken along the A4 through Slough to the M4 - the route to the M25 is a well-known secret, it seems.

Gatwick is at least on mainline rail - and you don't have to go via. London. Stansted has a fast rail service, as does the increasingly busy Saarfen'.

Whereas Birmingham has excellent connections with both the main rail network and motorway system. You can either walk from the long term car park or wait for a bus - and parking is much cheaper than at Heathrow. The central airport area is compact, yet works well - although the security queues can be an utter shambles at times.

Arrival delays at Heathrow are quite common, but rare at Birmingham. So, all-in-all, from anywhere west of Oxford, Birmingham is a much better choice than the hell of Heathrow. About 13 years ago, I used to fly from Stansted to Frankfurt with buzz on a regular basis and could easily do the whole journey by public transport - it was reliable and good value. But the coach service from Oxford deteriorated and Stansted itself became busier, so when buzz folded, it was back to Lufthansa from LHR - until I discovered Birmingham. A couple of years ago, I made the mistake of travelling with Germanwings from Stansted, never again! The crowds were so bad on return that it wasn't even possible to leave the monorail platform.... Rather than risk 'ordeal by M10/M25/M40', I drove back cross-country - at least that aspect was pleasant!

However, the big guns will always press for further expansion of Heathrow - although 'Boris Island' would be the 21st Century solution. The ridiculous HS2 scheme being forced upon the UK might have a 'Heathrow spur' and will no doubt be used as an excuse NOT to proceed with Boris' scheme though.

I still think that Upper Heyford deserves further assessment though!

BOAC
12th May 2013, 08:50
where you can even leave your child behind and they don't mind! - wish I had known that 39 years ago............:rolleyes:

cuefaye
12th May 2013, 09:31
Cokes in the cars used to be common!

airborne_artist
12th May 2013, 09:42
BEags

It is impossible to reach by mainline train

Take the Paddington stopper from Reading/Slough and alight at Hayes and Harlington.

The 140 bus (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/hayesharlington-2123.pdf) from there serves T1/2/3.

You may have to mingle with the great un-washed, but it's the best I can offer you ;)

BEagle
12th May 2013, 11:13
Which rather makes my point, does it not? It'd be easier to take the Reading Rail/Air bus link - assuming the M4 isn't choc-a-bloc.

A solution won't be achieved for another 8 years - at a cost of £500M: BBC News - £500m Heathrow link to cut times on Great Western line (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18817874)

millerscourt
12th May 2013, 12:59
BEagle

Upper Heyford?? You clearly have not been near the place recently as it is an Industrial Site and Housing Estates.

The residents of Steeple Aston will not thank you for that suggestion either.

What about Greenham Common or Manston or Wing ?( I seem to recall years ago that was suggested as I remember seeing placards protesting )

skua
12th May 2013, 13:04
Greenham Common was the big missed opportunity: massive E/W runway, v near mainline, quite near M4. But too many nimbies nearby probably.

NutLoose
12th May 2013, 13:44
Greenham Common had the runways removed for gravel extraction I believe and is now a nature reserve..

See

Greenham Common airfield eb33937a.jpg (http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/gallery/v/berkshire/newbury/GreenhamCommon_eb33937a.jpg.html)

Greenham Common airbase eb33921a.jpg (http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/gallery/v/berkshire/newbury/GreenhamCommon_eb33921a.jpg.html)

1.3VStall
12th May 2013, 13:58
Skua, you just beat me to it, Greenham Common would have been an effective third runway for LHR.

Al R
12th May 2013, 14:23
Alconbury always struck me as a decent place to introduce overflow into. Shedloads of space, useful runway, gateway to the Midlands and that part of the country is where we need and want to build housing anyway.

I had a quick look; I see that Magic Mountain is being recommissioned.. as a $69,000,000 mortuary. Bizarre that it was in service for only two years and amazing that it was allowed to fall into such neglect in the interim.

Inside a shuttered Cold War bunker - World news - Fall of the Berlin Wall: 20 Years Later | NBC News (http://www.nbcnews.com/id/33506583/ns/world_news-fall_of_the_berlin_wall_20_years_later)

WK622
12th May 2013, 14:35
Aside from from the potential as a Park + Ride for Bourton on the Water, does anyone know how Little Rissington is to be developed? When Devonair moved across from Kemble some years ago there were several suggestions re future aviation use but all, sadly, seem to have come to nought.

SOSL
12th May 2013, 14:44
Coming from the Central South of the UK, via Basingstoke - the rail/air bus service from Woking is usually quite relaxed; until you get the Heathrow effect and it all goes downhill.

Used to race Karts (RAF Champs) on the Little Ris track. Came off quite often but didn't break anything; that all happened when I started doing grown up stuff.

Rgds SOS

Melchett01
12th May 2013, 15:07
Stansted has a fast rail service, as does the increasingly busy Saarfen'.

Would only use Stansted as a last resort. After putting up with years of fighting my way through crowds just milling around the place, tripping over ski bags and trying to avoid the mid morning lager swilling types, I ventured down to London City. Fantastic little airport, Swiss Air were cheaper than Easy Jet out of Stansted, far nicer atmosphere, more civilized clientelle and even the drugs dog seemed happy to see me.

Wycombe
12th May 2013, 15:47
Greenham Common had the runways removed for gravel extraction

In actual fact, 1000's of tonnes of Greenham concrete was used in the construction of the Newbury bypass (A34).

Greenham does look like a missed opportunity on the face of it, but one not immediately obvious obstruction to its development as a civilian airfield might be the large "weapons factory" that lies at approx 5 miles under the extended centreline for the former westerly-facing runway.

(have a look on Google Earth)

Jobza Guddun
12th May 2013, 16:07
Some pics of Little Rissington here:-

Little Rissington - Page 6 (http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?1338-Little-Rissington/page6)

for those who may like a last look...:{

Lima Juliet
12th May 2013, 16:09
Millerscourt

The airfield near Wing and Cubblington was to be a 4 runway monster over a huge area. You are right, that middle-class England kicked off big time and it was 'turned off' - in a smaller way the same thing happened at Little Rissington with a succession of failed MOD attempts to reuse the base. I only hope they move al lthe problem families out of all the sink estates in the South East to the new housing development at Rissington to give these NIMBYs a real taste of their medicine!

By the way the old airfield in Oakley is very adjacent to the M40, as is Upper Heyford. How about old RAF Finmere (that should get Courtney going!) and also Bedford.

LJ :ok:

Rosevidney1
12th May 2013, 18:45
Little Rissington was the location of my first annual ATC camp with 24(F) Sqn. It is where I had my first ever jet flight (in a 2 hole Meteor). How dare they meddle with such a magical place.:sad:

sharpend
12th May 2013, 19:46
Yes it was the Holy of Holys. I was there at CFS in 1970.

However, as a new airport, anything wrong with Fairford?

BEagle
12th May 2013, 19:52
However, as a new airport, anything wrong with Fairford?

Access?

Bill Macgillivray
12th May 2013, 21:03
Beagle, don't always agree but this time you are absolutely correct, access to Fairford is a nightmare! Little Riss. is a joke (hopefully)! I even had problems with the Piston Provost there in 1964! (Probably me!!) I think that we have to be brave and develop (big time and sensibly) our 60 year old hub at Heathrow. :ok:

SOSL
13th May 2013, 17:26
Al R - I agree Alconbury looks good. Weren't they planning to develop it as a freight hub after the spams left? Dunno wot happened to that plan.

Good road access, except for the last mile, good runways and facilities. Close to A1/A14 Interchange and so M11 and easy access to several other Motorways. Only about 5 miles away from Huntingdon Railway Stn (which is on the East Coast main line from London to Edinburgh).

Rgds SOS

SOSL
13th May 2013, 18:08
Hi, Melch.

You said

"After putting up with years of fighting my way through crowds just milling around the place, tripping over ski bags and trying to avoid the mid morning lager swilling types"

Isn't that all UK airports?

P.S. Never flown from London City.

Rgds SOS

Nomorefreetime
13th May 2013, 18:10
If a fortune is going to be spent on any project / 3rd runway what's wrong with making the runway at a small base near Heathrow run paralell with the big ones to it's south and extend into the green fields at the western end of said base.

NutLoose
13th May 2013, 18:42
Oddly enough we all seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet, why build a new airport when the south is full of existing airfields in various states of repair that could be brought into service. Even Greenham would probably be cheaper to reconstruct than to sticking a new one in an estuary.

sharpend
13th May 2013, 20:12
Yup, access is presently a big problem. But the airfield is superb (used for Concorde) so all they would have to do is build a new dual carriageway up from the A419 duel carriageway. Less than 4 miles!

CoffmanStarter
14th May 2013, 08:15
Slight thread drift ... Is Duncan still the CFS "live" Pelican mascot ?

http://www.centralflyingschool.org.uk/History/HisPhotos/StaffPatrick.jpg

Above is Patrick from the 60's

Whopity
14th May 2013, 08:25
Why not pick the one with the most runways, Bedford Thurleigh! Hasn't it been suggested before?

Exascot
14th May 2013, 08:52
What happened to the USAF underground nuclear-proof hospital at Little Rissy?

Roland Pulfrew
14th May 2013, 10:52
Why not pick the one with the most runways, Bedford Thurleigh! Hasn't it been suggested before?

Yep, several times. Problem with Thurleigh is, again, access. It might be a short spur from one of the main N-S railway lines but as anyone who has lived around Bedford will tell you, traffic is a nightmare. Last real attempt, IIRC, was to turn it into a freight airport with good rail links, but for road links you are pretty much stuck with single carriage way and invariably through, rather than round, small villages.

Can't help thinking that Alconbury and Upper Heyford would make much better new "London" airports, particularly UH with its proximity to the M40 and another N-S mainline.

aw ditor
14th May 2013, 15:45
Alconbury already sold-off for development, houses and light-industry', & Wyton likely to go that way too!
AD'

NutLoose
14th May 2013, 18:14
I called into Swinditz over the bank holidays and bar the odd hangar and an empty airfield. I was pleasantly suprised to see ( after a twinge of sadness ) a complete new village with schools etc built on what was the domestic site, driving around the site old officers quarters are still there, though separate from the main village. Only sadness was I didn't see any streets named to reflect the airfields past, but that does not mean some haven't been.

cuefaye
14th May 2013, 19:55
Aah Swinditz. I was first introduced to whisky there, during an ATC camp in '59, along with my first trip in a jet aeroplane; a Vampire, quickly followed by a puke on the dispersal. So ill was I that I couldn't bare the whiff of it until my fifties. Now, happily, it's a different story!

dogle
14th May 2013, 20:54
Roland and Beags have it - the key issue obviating London expansion at Rissi and many other former stations is access.

Conversely, not only does Upper Heyford have remarkably good road and rail infrastructure already in place, but the travel time on existing rail from central London is less than that to the nether LHR terminals on the Tube! What's more, the terrain would allow for the construction of at least one more 260 with the requisite separation, and all this in an area of minimal population density.

To my simple mind, redevelopment of the wickedly-wasted Upper Heyford facilities (perhaps with further enhancement of the Chiltern line, instead of the wanton folly of HS2) is just a no-brainer .... but, as we all know, Whitehall is even lower that in the brainpower stakes.

chopper2004
14th May 2013, 22:30
I read in Air Forces Monthly earlier in the year, that last Sept, the Dutch sent over four ship of F-16C and a C-130H to the former RAF now MOD Police Training Wethersfield so it became an active airfield for a day or so.

Can be done, I've ranted over Alconbury on here that remove the containers which contain a lot of crap, and turn it into a good airfield or maybe EUCOM or USAFE could utilise it for support not full time day in day out aircraft ops or even once a year or biannually international airshow. Could conceivably land a U-28 in the area not covered by the containers as seen on Google earth :) be handy for the residents the other side of the A14 if you get my drift.

With the likes of Lyneham if I am correct and Kinloss still keeping some limited airfield ops in case of emergencies / overspill for Brize and Lossie?

Sculthorpe is kept alive on an ad hoc basis for the Mildenhall SOG folks and RAF even though its been closed for near 2 decades. Ideally could be used as an emergency outlying for Norwich International?

Lima Juliet
14th May 2013, 23:25
Surely we're ignoring the 'elephant in the room' that is Bruntingthorpe...

- 'kin huge runway
- adjacent to M1
- adjacent to mainline to Euston
- in a low density populated area
- oh, and did I mention 'kin huge runway?

LJ :ok:

Lima Juliet
14th May 2013, 23:33
Plus, there's always London/Milton Keynes International...

...Cranfield.

Near to the M1 and trainline and if I recall correctly is about 6,000ft long so would only need another 1-2,000ft of concrete to be really useful.

LJ

haltonapp
15th May 2013, 09:48
Can't imagine many airlines wanting to operate from a strip only 7-8000 feet long! A bit limiting for most larger aircraft types flying trans continental sectors.

VX275
15th May 2013, 12:23
there's always London/Milton Keynes International...

Back in 1987 I was given a site plan of Cranfield and asked by the owner of a resident aircraft to modify it for an April fools joke.:E The main runway was doubled in length and Cranfield village disappeared under a terminal building and motorway spur from the M1. The resulting drawing was printed, folded an then marked up with alterations and 'distressed' with a few coffee cup stains before being placed in a folder and 'lost' in the airfield restaurant.

If it was ever found, it was obviously never looked at because the trouble it could have caused never happened.:*

f4aviation
15th May 2013, 15:28
Chopper2004,

It was actually North Weald and the Norwegian Air Force.

SWBKCB
15th May 2013, 15:48
Cranfield airport seeks fourfold increase in business jet traffic (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/cranfield-airport-seeks-fourfold-increase-in-business-jet-traffic-385606/)

PhilipG
15th May 2013, 16:18
When I was a student at Cranfield, we could always tell when we were near Cranfield on the M1, there was fog or other low lying clouds there. There was a story that Cranfield had been used once as a divert field when as I recall Heathrow was closed, the plane landed and stopped ok, to get airborne again the seats etc had to be removed due to the short runway.
Cranfield is also quite built up as a university...

bobward
15th May 2013, 16:43
What about Manston?
Very large runway, close to a major rail route and a motorway.....

Re Alconbury. The cynic in me suggests that as Sir John Major was the local Huntingon MP (and may still be?), any civil use of that site was a non-starter.

Sculthorpe is occasionally used by the Mildenhall C-130's, and is often NOTAMed for Hawk FAC exercises as well. Rumour has it that it could be used for the displaced 611 VGS gliding school that's now homeless, following Watton being sold off for houses.

Time will tell......

aw ditor
15th May 2013, 16:47
Thought there was a VGS at Rissy.; is it still operating?

airborne_artist
15th May 2013, 16:48
What about Manston?
Very large runway, close to a major rail route and a motorway.....

Manston/Kent Intl has tried to run airline services, and I flew to Nice from there once, perhaps twice on EUjet. KLM fly to Schipol twice a day at the moment.

The problem is that North Kent isn't actually very close for that many people. Upper Heyford makes more sense, but neither will ever happen as London's third airport.

NutLoose
15th May 2013, 16:54
If God was going to give the World an Enema, he'd stick the tube in Cranfield, so an ideal place to build over, trouble is the runway was chopped a bit when they built the Nissan development centre on the end of it..

As for Bruntingthorpe might conflict a bit with East Mids 15 miles north.... And it is actively used.

StrateandLevel
15th May 2013, 17:54
a complete new village with schools etc No school, its planned but not built yet The site is the old MT yard which is a pile of rubble.

Only sadness was I didn't see any streets named to reflect the airfields past There are only three new road names on the site: Harris; Blenheim and Lancaster chosen 15 years ago by the CDC because of their WW2 connection!
Thought there was a VGS at Rissy.; is it still operating?Very much so, the RAF still operate the airfield.

The developers are currently removing the hangars though one occupant a Nut Company, has refused to move out!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38428747/Hangar%20C-type.jpg

chopper2004
15th May 2013, 18:46
F4, thanks for the correction ...and just finding the said back page of AFM, so thanks for putting me right.. Must have been tired and hallucinating :ugh: and wishful thinking as was also looking at FighterControl site, with photos taken back in early 70s of the U-2 temp deployment to Wethersfield.

Cheers

CoffmanStarter
15th May 2013, 18:52
More RAF History subjected to the concrete masher :(

CoffmanStarter
15th May 2013, 19:00
On the Manston option ... yes it has a long runway ... but no viable communication routes into London ... without considerable investment. Also the prevailing wind conditions have always favoured the grass runway of 24/06.

Various propositions have also been put forward to turn Lydd into an International Airport ... agin no viable communication routes ... and too many sheep that glow in the dark :E

Taildraggerman
18th May 2013, 21:43
The real scandal of Little Rissington is the failure to preserve one of the best untouched "Expansion Period" sites in the UK. There has been no modern development at Rissy since CFS departed in 1976 - it was untouched by the 21st Century. Similar Cotswold airfields at Kemble and Hullavington were listed several years ago - why not this gem? For more than half a century the C Hangars have been a part of the Cotswold landscape. Now they are about to be replaced by a mini-Milton Keynes! No doubt the new residents will complain about the aviation activity on the surviving airfield!

PerryDavis
3rd Aug 2013, 16:22
I was on exchange there in 1976 when it closed. Lived on station for three years. Looks like the station and I have deteriorated at equal rates. So sad! Thanks for the pics.

chevvron
3rd Aug 2013, 22:56
Rissy. I did admin officer for 637 VGS for their first continuous Vigilant course in '91.(they had only flown them weekends prior to this)
We started getting noise complaints from one of the new houses on the road which runs along the western boundary. The CO phoned the local Parish council to apologise, and was asked who the complainant was. They said the complainer was known to them and was BA Cabin crew! Furthermore they had no objection to flying being carried out at Rissy and please refer any further complaints to them!
As for alternatives, no one has mentioned Wisley. Good road communications via A3 and M25 both adjacent; railway line at Woking not too far away; 2000m runway still in situ but presently partially blocked by Armco barriers 'protecting' several public rights of way; there's even a VOR/DME on the airfield.

Wetstart Dryrun
4th Aug 2013, 09:14
I'm a bit surprised nobody has mentioned the synonyms for Rissy -'Hell-on-the-Hill', 'Dump on the Lump'.

Rissy CAVOK, all the divs red in fog. Divs clear, Rissy goes out in stratus

Don't get me going on Exam Wing. 'You have failed - E2, no light E2A, white light, E2B, red light. Everybody kno that.'

London Airport expansion - Schipol.

wets (cfs)

Burtonwood Aviator
4th Aug 2013, 09:52
Very sad to hear it. Did my first flight in an Avro Anson many years ago(more than I care to remember). CFS also operated out of Rissington usingpiston Provo’s with side by side seating. I also remember Vampires operating. Theymust not be demolishing all the buildings/hangers otherwise where do the ATCstore their Vigilant’s or are they living on borrowed time like many otherGliding Squadrons in the UK?

Regrettably Airfields are a thing of the past, as profits for the buildingcompanies takes precedence over training for the future of Aviation.
There are no RAF Airfields left in the North West(Woodvale living on borrowed time).

binbrook
2nd Aug 2014, 10:49
Wasn't it Gnats on the long R/W, JPs and Varsities on the into-wind short, and Chippies on the grass? And it worked.

Beancountercymru
2nd Aug 2014, 17:31
Manston in the 70's was the same

Civilian traffic and jets on the asphalt , Chipmunks on the grass at 30 degrees to the main runway and gliders of 617VGS on the Northern Grass as I think it was called

WildRover
3rd Aug 2014, 16:57
One Hangar down - the others to go this month!

School and Community Centre well on their way to being finished by February.

http://upperrissington.co.uk/gallery/data/549/10397239_10204450669376416_3475411302339979435_o.jpg

sharpend
3rd Aug 2014, 17:31
Fantastic pic!

Lubricant Specialist
8th Oct 2014, 15:05
As far as I can find out, it was a myth.

There was a surface building, covered in earth which acted as a medical facility but it was small. Two of the C hangars were kitted out to become a contingency hospital, half was actually unpacked and assembled, and the other packed ready for air shipment.

I have recently learned that the Devonair Hangars were used for storage to support medical stores and mortuary.

My information is only as good as what I discovered. to date it is written replies but regrettably no photographs. If anyone has seen any of this I would really like to to be corrected.

Same goes for the underground hospital at Upper Heyford.

Ian

Lubricant Specialist
8th Oct 2014, 15:30
As far as I can find out, it was a myth.

There was a surface building, covered in earth which acted as a medical facility but it was small. Two of the C hangars were kitted out to become a contingency hospital, half was actually unpacked and assembled, and the other packed ready for air shipment.

I have recently learned that the Devonair Hangars were used for storage to support medical stores and mortuary.

My information is only as good as what I discovered. to date it is written replies but regrettably no photographs. If anyone has seen any of this I would really like to to be corrected.

Our colleague WILD ROVER knows this site better than most and might help me here.

Same goes for the underground hospital at Upper Heyford.

Ian

oncemorealoft
8th Oct 2014, 16:42
Re: London Cranfield

In 1987 or early 1988 Britannia flew a Boeing 767-200 into Cranfield with a group of new 'cadets' who'd signed up for the sponsored pilots programme in conjunction with CABair ( I think it was). We took pictures of the students and a CAB air Grumman trainer. IIRC, I believe I flew up in the Britannia Flying Club Mooney to supervise photography.

Captain was C**** N*****. He explained that the late little 'jink' in the final approach was due to a small amount of confusion between approach lights and the nearby M1 lighting!

The picture is in a copy of Britannia News, a few of which still exist in Ppruners attics.

Been Accounting
8th Oct 2014, 17:43
What happened to the golf course?

A2QFI
8th Oct 2014, 19:25
Road access to Bruntingthorpe was abysmal. last time I went there. I queued to get into a Cold War Jets Open Day and gave up having moved 400 yards in 30 minutes.

WildRover
3rd Apr 2015, 20:37
RAF Little Riss is having a brand new 56 bed accommodation built adjacent to the Vigilant hangar.

Does anyone know when the Vigilants will fly again from Rissi?

Shame that Devonair could not make a go of it in the "blister" hangars.

Last of the 4 C-type hangers due for demolition this month. www.raflittlerissington.co.uk - not had much time to add content.

thunderbird7
4th Apr 2015, 00:41
Greenham Common was the big missed opportunity: massive E/W runway, v near mainline, quite near M4. But too many nimbies nearby probably.

...mostly camping on the fence line... ;)

handsome goafer
4th Apr 2015, 06:47
What happened to the kart track, is there racing still there?
Good times

chopper2004
5th Apr 2015, 02:05
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51VKE6G1H9L._AA160_.jpg

RAF Little Rissington: The Central Flying School, 1946 - 1976

(http://www.amazon.co.uk/RAF-Little-Rissington-Central-Flying/dp/1844153819/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1428199328&sr=1-1&keywords=raf+little+rissington)15 Jun 2006by R. Deacon and A. Pollock

Is a good book, I have the Kindle version and great color photos from the years gone by.

Worth a very good read,

cheers