PDA

View Full Version : EASA ATPL conversion

JACQUOUILLE
11th May 2013, 14:39
I am about to start my conversion from my FAA ATP to an EASA one. ( I have more than 3000 hours on MPA FAR25) .I have an EASA medical class1 issued in France , I am a French resident . my question is: Can I do my theory (14 exams) in another member state and get a EASA ATPL issued in France ?

In the case I am able to do it someone will be so kind to give me the reference text ?

Thanks

paco
11th May 2013, 17:30
Yes, you can, but the French are notorious for not playing the game. It might be best to get it sorted outside of France, then move your documents afterwards.

BillieBob
11th May 2013, 20:58
the French are notorious for not playing the game.Substitute "The French political class is notorious for presenting two fingers to any aspect of EU law that does not directly benefit the Republic or those of its subjects that are in a position of power" and you will be slightly more accurate.

Jacquoille, I agree 100% with Paco - get everything sorted out as far away from the rue Henri Farman as possible.

zondaracer
12th May 2013, 01:59
Actually, a friend of mine who is French, did his ATPLs in the UK and he had 0 problems when he applied for a CPL in France after completing his flight test in France. He had to fill out a form and pay a fee to get it done, but seriously, no problem whatsoever.

JACQUOUILLE
12th May 2013, 09:25
Thank you for the advises .I know that on the JAR system you were forced to do the exams in France but now with EASA they have to follow the new rules , at least that is my understanding .I might do the full conversion in a contacting state and transfer it to France .

13th May 2013, 21:28
You must have your medical dossier with the Authority which will issue your licence (Aircrew regulation requisite). If you want your licence to be issued by another Authority than France, you'll need to have your file transfered.
I took me 14 months to have my dossier transfered from Belgium to UK CAA. I had to translate several reports into English, and the CAA kept on leaving me messages on other people's voicemails to get in touch with me, it seems they can't write emails.
So leave your medical dossier where it is, and I don't think you'll have problems to have your licence issued by the DGAC on the basis of tests or training done elsewhere. The DGAC reads English, they even wrote in English for me.
UK CAA is all paper, nothing can be done through a website, it takes weeks (5 weeks for me) to have a licence issued, it's incredibly expensive, they don't seem to be able to write English (keeping trying to call me instead of Emailing) or any other language, and they don't seem to read any other language than English.