PDA

View Full Version : Swordfish and Catalina over London

Seloco
10th May 2013, 08:00
An impressive sight over London yesterday evening (c1800Z) was a Fairey Swordfish and Consolidated Catalina battling the westerly gale in formation with 4 helos (SeaKing, Lynx and Merlins I think) at low level up the Thames. I suspect it was related to Battle of the Atlantic 70th celebrations. Conditions must have been marginal at best for the Swordfish!

WHBM
10th May 2013, 09:30
I saw them as well, the Cat came south overhead me when driving west on the A13 about 10 nm east of London City at 4.00 pm, and about two hours later saw it forming up with six helos just south of LCY. Didn't see the Swordfish.

Extremely strong SW wind at ground level and LCY was experiencing a significant number of go-arounds, so all credit to the Cat crew who seem to have been bouncing around in it for several hours.

All credit to Mrs WHBM:) who actually noticed the helos before I did. Am I losng my touch ?? !!

chevvron
10th May 2013, 10:21
Repeat performance tomorrow with Swordfish and Lynx at 1805 UTC.

angels
10th May 2013, 10:41
Absolute bugger and damnation. Heard them. Was wondering what was going on but was doing the wife and kids pasta so couldn't nip out and have a decko. :mad:

Of course it had completely slipped my mind that Illustrious was in and there would probably be some interesting sights.

Bugger again!! Still thanks for the heads up re tomorrow. I really want to see a Stringbag!

Old Photo.Fanatic
10th May 2013, 11:21
angels,
Please check your PMs re "Stringbag"
Cheers, OPF