PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen to Sumburgh flight diverts to Kirkwall

ricardian
9th May 2013, 17:21
BBC reporting (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-22468091) A plane flying from Aberdeen to Shetland has landed safely at Orkney's Kirkwall Airport after sparking a full-scale emergency. Passengers reported that the cabin depressurised in mid-air after a cargo door burst open on a Loganair flight to Sumburgh in Shetland.
Further report from The Orcadian (http://www.orcadian.co.uk/2013/05/emergency-landing-at-kirkwall-airport/)

gcal
9th May 2013, 17:32
'Burst open'?

Whereas the statement from Loganair says the door opened inwards by a very small amount.

Dysonsphere
9th May 2013, 20:23
Not sure what they use up there but I doubt if there pressurised. Sounds like normal reporting rubbish with little real understanding. I dont think a door has ever opened into a pressurised cabin it would be rather tricky to say the least.

RoyHudd
9th May 2013, 20:59
News is rubbish, especially BBC. As ever.

axefurabz
9th May 2013, 21:04
Not sure what they use up there ...

Then why post? :ugh:

Loganair chief operating officer Phil Preston said Flight BE 6774 left Aberdeen bound for Sumburgh airport at 11.55am with 17 passengers and three crew.

He said the flight was diverted following the activation of a cabin de-pressurisation warning light.

“There was an issue with the cargo door at the rear of the aircraft,” he said.

“Our crew followed the correct procedures and the aircraft landed safely at Kirkwall Airport at 12.30pm, where it was met by emergency services as a precaution.

“A secondary aircraft is being flown up from Aberdeen to transport the passengers.

“A full inspection of the aircraft is currently being carried out by our engineering team.”

Dysonsphere
9th May 2013, 22:40
Quote:
Not sure what they use up there ...
Then why post?

Quote:
Loganair chief operating officer Phil Preston said Flight BE 6774 left Aberdeen bound for Sumburgh airport at 11.55am with 17 passengers and three crew.

He said the flight was diverted following the activation of a cabin de-pressurisation warning light.

“There was an issue with the cargo door at the rear of the aircraft,” he said.

“Our crew followed the correct procedures and the aircraft landed safely at Kirkwall Airport at 12.30pm, where it was met by emergency services as a precaution.

“A secondary aircraft is being flown up from Aberdeen to transport the passengers.

“A full inspection of the aircraft is currently being carried out by our engineering team.”

I notice you don't appear to know either

DaveReidUK
9th May 2013, 22:50
I notice you don't appear to know eitherIf all else fails, you could try clicking on the link in post #1, where the BBC helpfully provide a photo of a Saab 340.

Not to mention their statement that "the cabin depressurised in mid-air", in case anyone was tempted to suggest it might have been one of Loganair's Islanders or Twotters.